2 of 2
Gluten-Free Is The Latest Fad Diet
Posted: 06 February 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Ah, another source of a possible critical thinking fallacy.  If one sees a bakery with a sign, “Bread, $2.69 a loaf, gluten free”, does that mean it’s gluten free bread or that they don’t charge you for the gluten?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 February 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-02-11

Gluten-free has become a huge thing here in Portland. What cracks me up is things like gluten-free pizza and cookies; if you want to eat healthy, then you shouldn’t be eating pizza or cookies at all!

Posted: 12 February 2011 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Good point, ABx.  LOL  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2011 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Gluten free foods taste like chalk, if that good. As for the beer? No way, especially if the brewers in Boulder can’t make it taste good. Ironically I was listening to a podcast about this just last week< probably in a Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe episode, and they pretty conclusively showed not only why this latest fear-mongering fad is so ridiculous, but also how gluten is an excellent way to get a needed protein in your diet. They did mention the few celiacs as exceptions.

I hope you friend’s child gets better Jules. What a terrible way to start life.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-11

The tragic thing is that I know someone with health problems that falls for every “alternative medicine” scam/fad/misconception out there (and a lot of others, too). She’s managed to cut every major protein source out of her diet (refusing to plan and make sure that she gets needed nutrition), to the point that it seems obvious that it’s exacerbating her health problems, and she started talking about going gluten-free and sent me a PDF of a pseudo-science “white-paper” as a source.

She asked what I thought, and when I told her it ended with her getting mad and telling me to stop reading the internet (read: looking up studies on Google scholar) and start talking to real people (2 people told her that they feel better since going gluten-free). On one hand I screwed up my approach, but on the other hand she didn’t really want my opinion; we haven’t really talked since.

Ironically I was listening to a podcast about this just last week< probably in a Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe episode, and they pretty conclusively showed not only why this latest fear-mongering fad is so ridiculous, but also how gluten is an excellent way to get a needed protein in your diet.

Not Skeptic’s Guide, but I found one on Skeptoid from last month (January); would that be it? That one was good, but doesn’t give a lot of ammo for talking to these people (although the fact that gluten has been a very important part of the human diet for a very long time is poignant). Not that I’ll get another chance with the aforementioned person.

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17
asanta - 26 September 2010 02:33 PM
Dead Monky - 26 September 2010 02:17 PM

Most bread has gluten in it.  It’s actually harder to find bread without gluten than with.

You have to find one made with a gluten free flour. I think rice flour is gluten free.

Yeah, after baking school I worked in a rice bread bakery. The stuff wasn’t bad. I like bread, though.

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, it could have been Skeptoid. I have both queued on my iPod all the time and listen in the car.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 13 February 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-11
DarronS - 13 February 2011 12:36 PM

Yeah, it could have been Skeptoid. I have both queued on my iPod all the time and listen in the car.

I’ve been hoping for some recommendations to good skeptic podcasts, and these both look like good contenders, so thanks for that smile I liked the latest Skeptic’s guide when I listened to it; particularly that they explained their thought processes on everything, rather than stating conclusions (I like to have points that open further discussion if/when I end up talking about it with someone later).

Posted: 13 February 2011 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
ABx009 - 13 February 2011 12:49 PM

I’ve been hoping for some recommendations to good skeptic podcasts…

Check out The Critical Thinker, Rationally Speaking, and LSAT Logic in Every Day Life. These three are also in my regular queue.

And because we all need a laugh now and then, I highly recommend Decoder Ring Theatre and Mr. Deity.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2011 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4573
Joined  2007-08-31

I am missing something in this thread: seitan.

Wheat gluten, also called seitan, wheat meat, Mock Duck, gluten meat, or simply gluten, is a food made from the gluten of wheat. It is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch dissolves, leaving insoluble gluten as an elastic mass which is then cooked before being eaten.

From wikipedia.

Gluten allergy can be terrible. But those who are not allergic there is really no problem. I’ve known somebody who was allergic for tomatoes. Should we all stop eating tomatoes?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 14 February 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, I don’t know.  I have a slight allergy to cats so i’ve made it a point not to eat any cats. LOL

Occam

Signature 

2 of 2