Hello! My name is Tim
Posted: 16 August 2006 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-08-16

My name is Tim.  I recently became deconverted.  I come from a very christian background.  I grew up in and was fully indoctrinated by christianity throughout the early part of my life.  My parents are independent fundamental baptist fire-and-brimstone-burn-in-hell-sinner-do-not-question-god-or-his-representative-gw bush-god-fearing-christians.  In fact, my father is an active preacher.

I am happy that I have found my way out of that.

I live in Denver and it is very nice to meet you all.

—Tim
PS Im a music DJ in Denver which should explain my log in name.

Posted: 16 August 2006 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. We’ve got all kinds here.

Best to you.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 August 2006 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Hi Tim,
Welcome!
Bob

Posted: 16 August 2006 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14

BTW, you’ll have to avoid getting together with DJ Grothe or we’ll have real trouble telling the two of you apart.

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 August 2006 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-01

DJTower writes:

My name is Tim. I recently became deconverted.

Welcome, Tim, and I’m glad to hear that you have finally seen the light . I’m assuming that you are on the younger side, since I think most de-converts are in their teens. I’m in my forties now, and first became aware of my lack of beliefs when I was in my teens, about the time that Reagan became president.

I have become more active lately with the rise of fundamentalism in this country. But I have been an atheist for over twenty years, and have never regretted being able to freely and critically inquire into all aspects of life and the universe, including my own thoughts and ideas.

Deconverting can be a trying time, and can be quite a roller coaster ride for your psyche. But once the ride is over, you generally sigh a relief and feel freer than you ever had before in your life.

And welcome to the boards. The internet is a wonderful place where atheists can find much support, with many like-minded people. When I first became an atheist, the internet did not exist. It would have been a godsend at the time. Oh sorry, I meant a huge benefit. I’m just glad it’s available for all the new atheists today, so that they don’t feel quite so isolated.

Signature 

"Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness."
~ Ebon Musings: The Atheism Pages ~

Posted: 17 August 2006 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-08-16

Well, actually im in my mid thirties.  So YES, I am on the younger side! lol  

-Tim

‹‹ *wave*      hello there ››