1 of 3
Velocity
Posted: 20 September 2010 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

I believe velocity is one of the most basic properties of the universe. Since the beginning (BB) velocity played a great part in the creation of the universe as we know it today.
It is part of the GR theory. It gives mass to massless particles. It is a measurement of time. It is the dynamic driving force of everything.
Any thoughts?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Higgs?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-09-07

Am no expert in physics or QM, but, in this age of dualism, am sure you are bound to be wrong somewhere in your emphasis on ‘speed’.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 20 September 2010 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Pambana Umaru - 20 September 2010 01:32 AM

Am no expert in physics or QM, but, in this age of dualism, am sure you are bound to be wrong somewhere in your emphasis on ‘speed’.

Seems to me that speed is what makes things real. We would be sinking through the earth if it weren’t for moving particles.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

But I believe there is a subtle difference between speed and velocity. Speed is a relative measurement, velocity is an independent measurement.
Velocity affects mass, size, weight, gravity, displacement,.....seems that it is a natural common denominator and has more fundamental implications as well. I’m confident it has been said before.

[ Edited: 20 September 2010 04:51 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Write4U - 20 September 2010 04:13 AM

Seems to me that speed is what makes things real. We would be sinking through the earth if it weren’t for moving particles.

How can we sink if our particles don’t move?  cool hmm

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 20 September 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I believe we don’t “sink through” other atoms due to nuclear forces within atoms and molecules. I can’t imagine velocity having much to do with this since the atoms of ice are moving much slower compared to the atoms of vapour. Ice, the slower moving particles, make it actually more difficult to “sink through” them when compared with vapour, the fast moving particles.

[ Edited: 20 September 2010 11:36 AM by George ]

Posted: 20 September 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 20 September 2010 11:01 AM

I believe we don’t “sink through” other atoms due to nuclear forces within atoms and molecules. I can’t imagine velocity having much to do with this since the atoms of ice are moving much slower compared to the atoms of vapour. Ice, the slower moving particles, make it actually more difficult to “sink through” them when compared with vapour, the fast moving particles.

We don’t sink through matter because of its magnetic field, which is caused by friction. We don’t sit on a chair, but we hover above a chair, repulsed by the magnetic fields. Magnetism is derived from energy converting into a magnetic field by rotation (velocity).
http://www.teachersdomain.org/resource/phy03.sci.phys.matter.atoms/

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, I was wrong.

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 20 September 2010 10:30 AM

How can we sink if our particles don’t move?  cool hmm

Particles always move and spin and always have a magnetic field. If they didn’t we would indeed sink through the floor.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

What about neutrinos?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 01:16 PM

What about neutrinos?

Yes, neutrinos have no magnetic field and that is why they are able to pass through matter.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

So technically, particles don’t always have a magnetic field then.  Do they?  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 01:34 PM

So technically, particles don’t always have a magnetic field then.  Do they?  cheese

well, ok, not All particles have a magnetic field.  oh oh . But the fact that because of this they can indeed pass through matter proves my earlier point. They are not attracted or repulsed by other magnetic fields.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I was just messing with you man.  I understood what you were saying.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 01:45 PM

I was just messing with you man.  I understood what you were saying.

Well, it forces me to think more precisely and not throw around general statements like that.

George; Ice, the slower moving particles, make it actually more difficult to “sink through” them when compared with vapour, the fast moving particles.

I am on thin ice as it is. cheese

[ Edited: 20 September 2010 01:52 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

1 of 3