2 of 3
Velocity
Posted: 20 September 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

That too.

You know, I was trying to find other particles that aren’t affected by electromagnetism, but I mostly just found a bunch of gobbledygook about proposed hypothetical ones.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6000
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 01:51 PM

That too.

You know, I was trying to find other particles that aren’t affected by electromagnetism, but I mostly just found a bunch of gobbledygook about proposed hypothetical ones.

Yes, as TA mentioned, the Higgs bosons are the latest rage.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

And they seem to be having such luck proving those exist.  oh oh

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 02:02 PM

And they seem to be having such luck proving those exist.  oh oh

I wonder if there are truly massless particles. Maybe Hawking’s strings?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 September 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Who knows?  I suppose the folks at the LHC have the best chances of figuring that out.  Personally, I doubt if any are truly massless, just with imperceptibly little mass (or almost so.)

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2010 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3987
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 20 September 2010 11:01 AM
Write4U - 20 September 2010 04:13 AM
Pambana Umaru - 20 September 2010 01:32 AM

Am no expert in physics or QM, but, in this age of dualism, am sure you are bound to be wrong somewhere in your emphasis on ‘speed’.

Seems to me that speed is what makes things real. We would be sinking through the earth if it weren’t for moving particles.

I believe we don’t “sink through” other atoms due to nuclear forces within atoms and molecules. I can’t imagine velocity having much to do with this since the atoms of ice are moving much slower compared to the atoms of vapour.

Aren’t nuclear forces a product of astounding velocities, if on an infinitesimal scale?

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 20 September 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

No idea, CC.

Posted: 20 September 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3987
Joined  2010-08-15

Aren’t Protons*, Neutrons* spinning, which is velocity

And the Electrons* with their discrete covalent shells and probability spreads, that’s all about energy at varying velocities?  isn’t it?

just wondering

* made up of even smaller spinning (velocity) entities

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 20 September 2010 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 20 September 2010 07:50 PM

Aren’t Protons*, Neutrons* spinning, which is velocity

And the Electrons* with their discrete covalent shells and probability spreads, that’s all about energy at varying velocities?  isn’t it?

just wondering

* made up of even smaller spinning (velocity) entities

That was the gist of my post.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 21 September 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4449
Joined  2007-08-31

%s/magnetic/electric/g

Particles may have an electrical charge, ore none, and they may have angular momentum (magnetic momentum), or none. Depends on the particle. To equate angular momentum of quantum particles with velocity is deluding. If that were true, you have to turn an electron 720 degrees to get it back in its original orientation. Clear?

Velocity is expressed as distance per time. So which of the three is more fundamental?

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 21 September 2010 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
GdB - 21 September 2010 12:06 AM

%s/magnetic/electric/g

Particles may have an electrical charge, ore none, and they may have angular momentum (magnetic momentum), or none. Depends on the particle. To equate angular momentum of quantum particles with velocity is deluding. If that were true, you have to turn an electron 720 degrees to get it back in its original orientation. Clear?

Velocity is expressed as distance per time. So which of the three is more fundamental?

GdB

electro/magnetism is a fundamental property of the universe. However electro/magnetism is a result of movement, by any name.
I was trying to make the point that “movement” (and by extension velocity and angular momentum) of any kind is fundamental in the creation of elctro/magnetism, where the magnetic properties are required for things to appear solid. If it were not for the repulsive properties of magnetism, we would fall through the earth. Actually we never touch anything per se. There is always a very small distance between objects, but their repulsive properties make it appear as if things are solid.
As I understand it sub-atomic particles always travel at SOL, but I was also including movement of the earth’s core vs the magma as creating the earth’s magnetic field, which shields us from solar flares (themselves being magnetically charged).
Thus movement (velocity, momentum) is a fundamental requirement for the universe to exist as it does.

[ Edited: 21 September 2010 03:34 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 21 September 2010 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  4449
Joined  2007-08-31

Your OP reminds me of a children story: the mechanical parts of a pendulum clock discuss who is the most important. The pendulum says it is the most important: without it the clock would not run regularly. The arms say they are the most important, without it nobody could see what time it is. The weights say they are the most important, without it the clock would not even run.

There are a lot of basic properties: electrical charge, mass, distance, magnetic moment, time, etc. Pull one out, and everything breaks down.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 21 September 2010 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
GdB - 21 September 2010 04:42 AM

Your OP reminds me of a children story: the mechanical parts of a pendulum clock discuss who is the most important. The pendulum says it is the most important: without it the clock would not run regularly. The arms say they are the most important, without it nobody could see what time it is. The weights say they are the most important, without it the clock would not even run.

There are a lot of basic properties: electrical charge, mass, distance, magnetic moment, time, etc. Pull one out, and everything breaks down.

GdB

I am but a simple man, asking simple questions downer

However, not everything has all the qualities you describe, yet they all have movement (velocity, momentum) in common. And that is what makes it fundamental. Moreover movement is the creator of some of the properties you mentioned, thus must be present prior.
And without movement, the clock would never run, with or without arms.

[ Edited: 21 September 2010 11:42 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 21 September 2010 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2376
Joined  2007-07-05

GdB

Nice story.  Everything is interdependent.

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 21 September 2010 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
psikeyhackr - 21 September 2010 12:56 PM

GdB

Nice story.  Everything is interdependent.

Don’t tell Michael Behe, he’ll use it to defend his next intelligent design attempt!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

2 of 3