1 of 3
Ozone Layer “Is No Longer Disappearing And Will Return To Full Strength By 2048” says UN Report
Posted: 20 September 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Take that!  You dirty stinky hippies.  We managed to keep farting out toxic gases and fix the ozone layer.  Epic WIN!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 September 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15

Ahh, did you read those first paragraphs?

The phasing out of nearly 100 substances once used in products like refrigerators and aerosols has stopped the ozone layer being depleted further, although it is not yet increasing, according to a new United Nations report released last week.

And it claimed that international efforts to protect the ozone layer has averted millions of cases of skin cancer worldwide.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1313599/Ozone-layer-longer-disappearing-return-strength-2048.html#ixzz1074tRkpI

An effort was undertaken and results are occurring.
That is what the CO2 alarmist are trying to tell everyone -

A coordinated effort -> can effect outcomes.

It is ignoring the leaks in the ship that get people up to their ears in water… bad place to be smirk

Take that you faith-based, free wheeling - free marketer    tongue wink

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 21 September 2010 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Heh heh.  I know.  It’s just funnier how I put it.

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2010 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

So, it seems that society can affect the atmosphere.  And, as
luck would have it, society can reverse, at least, this ozone
hole effect.  smile 

What other effects can we have on the atmosphere?  On the
climate?  Our hydro-carbon production could be the new chemical
that has atmospheric and climate effects.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 September 2010 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I say we just use Futurama’s solution and when the planet gets too hot we just point all out jets, rockets, and exhaust ports in the same direction and push the Earth a little further out.

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2010 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15396
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, good to know there’s one thing about this planet we’re not still screwing up ...

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 September 2010 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  6118
Joined  2009-02-26

I hate to rain on this parade, but,

When the first reports came out of the effects of CFCs on the ozone layer, I was working for a large paint manufacturer (including spraycans with freon). I presented this article to management but was utterly rejected and told not to spread rumors. Then one of the managers, an avid mountain climber in Alaska, contracted skincancer and was told that the increase in radiation from the thinning of the ozone layer had most likely caused his condition. Within a few months the company had switched from CFC to compressed air propulsion.
Most distressing is the fact that we still use CFC in many applications because it is such a stable compound and does not mix well with other compounds. Thus, in addition to release directly into the air, when CFCs fall to earth they do not attach themselves to dirt, but continue to wash down until it enters a water source. When this water becomes exposed to air , the CFC also evaporate from the water and drift upward until they enter the ozone layer. Here, the chlorine part attaches itself to an ozone molecules, destroying the ozone molecule, but in the process releasing yet another chlorine molecule, which then can attach itself to another ozone molecule, etc, etc. They estimate that it takes about 50 years and the destruction of some 10,000 ozone molecules, before a single CFC molecule is destroyed or flies out into space. But you can imagine the exponential effect on the ozone layer (which is just a few inches thick to begin with) by the presence of a relatively few free CFC molecules. Apparently this process increases when it is colder and is why the hole would grow faster during the winter months.
If we had not taken drastic action then, the north and south poles might have been totally devoid of life by now. But as late as 2007 there has been observations of record destruction of the ozone layer. Apparently the replacement CFC compounds are only slightly less harmful.
I hope this latest report is not a ruse to placate concerned scientists and stimulate sales. These are very convenient but extremely dangerous and persistent compounds.

[ Edited: 22 September 2010 04:20 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 September 2010 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 22 September 2010 03:38 AM

I hate to rain on this parade, but,

When the first reports came out of the effects of CFCs on the ozone layer, I was working for a large paint manufacturer (including spraycans with freon). I presented this article to management but was utterly rejected and told not to spread rumors. Then one of the managers, an avid mountain climber in Alaska, contracted skincancer and was told that the increase in radiation from the thinning of the ozone layer had most likely caused his condition. Within a few months the company had switched from CFC to compressed air propulsion.

Amazing all the “unthinkable” things that can be done with a little motivation.

(which is just a few inches thick to begin with)

surprised
stupid question, but for real?

But as late as 2007 there has been observations of record destruction of the ozone layer. Apparently the replacement CFC compounds are only slightly less harmful.
I hope this latest report is not a ruse to placate concerned scientists and stimulate sales. These are very convenient but extremely dangerous and persistent compounds.

Yea, periodically I’ve hear these reports of how the ozone hole is healing, but every time I look at NOAA satellite animations it doesn’t seem to reflect much healing - it is quite variable though from one year to the next. For instance 2002 looks nicely ‘healed’, but 2003 it look huge again, then goes down, but then 2007/2008 looks a bad as any of the nineties images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdogGDlXMo&feature=fvw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dead Monky - 21 September 2010 08:56 AM

Heh heh.  I know.  It’s just funnier how I put it.

You just like saying: “You dirty stinky hippies.”

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Why yes, yes I do.  My favorite episode of South Park is Die Hippie, Die.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 22 September 2010 12:48 PM

Why yes, yes I do.  My favorite episode of South Park is Die Hippie, Die.  grin

yea, yea - you are from Texas, it’s all clear now. And I used to think you were a nice boy from somewhere in the upper central states.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m not from Texas.  I’m from Michigan.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

OH no, you meant Midland, Michigan - not Midland, Texas?
i am soo embarrassed

red face

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

It’s cool.  Midland, TX probably sucks just as much as Midland, MI.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

author=“citizenschallenge.pm” date=“1285197994

(which is just a few inches thick to begin with)

surprised
stupid question, but for real?

But as late as 2007 there has been observations of record destruction of the ozone layer. Apparently the replacement CFC compounds are only slightly less harmful.

Yea, periodically I’ve hear these reports of how the ozone hole is healing, but every time I look at NOAA satellite animations it doesn’t seem to reflect much healing - it is quite variable though from one year to the next. For instance 2002 looks nicely ‘healed’, but 2003 it look huge again, then goes down, but then 2007/2008 looks a bad as any of the nineties images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdogGDlXMo&feature=fvw

Yes, at sealevel the ozone layer would be just a few millimeters thick. And yet it shields all life on earth from harmful radiation which is devastating to life, but lets through heat and sunlight which is beneficial to life (as we know it) on earth. Without this fragile shell most life on earth would perish. Of all the natural protections which we take so for granted, the ozone layer is probably the most fragile and it is amazing to see what we try to get away with for the sake of a few bucks. It is odd that we should call money “green”.
Instead, the government should foster a massive awareness program, informing the world’s population of the dangers the ozone layer faces from man made pollutants. The developed countries have made a small effort, true, but the harmful CFCs are still used in underdeveloped countries and as I explained you cannot get rid of the stuff by burying it. It will not mix and eventually will rear its ugly head in the ozone. It is a “demon” compound.
In fact, theists should jump on this bandwagon. To so completely ignore the ID of god’s creations (in theist terms) should be called blasphemy!!. The use of CFCs is a deadly sin, both in science and in religion.

p.s. While the newer compounds are less destructive, they foster “greenhouse effect”.

p.p.s.  Think of how many molecules there are in a single ounce of CFC. then multiply this by 10,000 ozone molecules destroyed.  grrr

[ Edited: 22 September 2010 03:18 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 September 2010 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 12:32 PM

Link

Take that!  You dirty stinky hippies.  We managed to keep farting out toxic gases and fix the ozone layer.  Epic WIN!

Nobody had to make any major changes to their lifestyle and nobody was greatly inconvenienced.

IMO let the scientists do their job and keep the politics out of it.

Posted: 22 September 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Gnostikosis - 22 September 2010 02:44 PM
Dead Monky - 20 September 2010 12:32 PM

Link

Nobody had to make any major changes to their lifestyle and nobody was greatly inconvenienced.

IMO let the scientists do their job and keep the politics out of it.

Interesting you should mention “convenience”. I read several articles from denier websites and they all espouse the great benefits of these compounds to mankind. My question is, what does man’s comfort have to do with survival? A heroin addict may feel comfort after shooting up (a “convenient” way to get high), but is it healthy?

Signature 

W4U

1 of 3