10 of 10
Riddle
Posted: 19 October 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Ugh, for some reason I noticed that these were two separate coin toss trials, but totally didn’t realize how that affected the probabilities!

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 20 October 2010 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

But didn’t Donnelly say that A (HTH takes longer, at 6:01) was correct, in the video?  Not to imply that my reasoning was correct.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
jump_in_the_pit - 20 October 2010 12:33 PM

But didn’t Donnelly say that A (HTH takes longer, at 6:01) was correct, in the video?  Not to imply that my reasoning was correct.  smile

Yeah, sorry ... even though I understand the concept, I misread it the answers.

Keke

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 05 November 2010 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Fun puzzle from Wiseman’s blog:

Imagine being locked in a dark dank cell.  There is a computer screen and a keyboard in the cell with you, and that allows you to type and submit any word you like.  The computer is linked to the door of the cell, and certain words will open the door.

On the wall a helpful prisoner has left the following three clues:
Banana
Dresser
Grammar

What word would you type into the computer?

Posted: 05 November 2010 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

palindrome

Hmm…

Not quite

How about “mirror”?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 06 November 2010 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, Darrron. You are on the right track, though…

Posted: 01 February 2011 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 20 September 2010 08:41 PM

I have always enjoyed puzzles and riddles…

Here is a logic puzzle attributed to Einstein to enjoy while waiting out the “Tsnownami” this week…

Who owns the fish?
http://www.coudal.com/thefish.php

Posted: 01 February 2011 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, that’s a good one, Jackson. I did a long time ago but by now I forget what the answer is. Maybe I’ll give it a try again.

Posted: 12 February 2011 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

New joke: What kind of dog do you use to hunt melons?
A melancholy! tongue laugh
I know, it’s a horrid joke, but I thought it was funny!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2010-12-03
George - 05 November 2010 08:02 PM

Fun puzzle from Wiseman’s blog:

Imagine being locked in a dark dank cell.  There is a computer screen and a keyboard in the cell with you, and that allows you to type and submit any word you like.  The computer is linked to the door of the cell, and certain words will open the door.

On the wall a helpful prisoner has left the following three clues:
Banana
Dresser
Grammar

What word would you type into the computer?

Only thing I can think of that is the same kind of word is “Spacecap”.

Posted: 13 February 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sure, a “spacecap” would work, although I don’t know if that is an actual word.

Posted: 13 February 2011 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2010-12-03
George - 13 February 2011 10:36 AM

Sure, a “spacecap” would work, although I don’t know if that is an actual word.

While trying to think of a word that fit, I went from “racecar” to “spacecar” to “spacecap” lol.  I realized shortly afterwards that “potato” fits too though, so I’ll go with that smile

Posted: 14 February 2011 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-25

is it possible that a paradox can be considered a puzzle ? I think you all know the famous (all you zombies)

A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. “Jane” grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert “her” to a “him.” Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, “he” becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop’s Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the “time travelers corps.” Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travelers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travelers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop’s Place in 1970.

The question is: Who is Jane’s mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson? The girl, the drifter, and the bartender, of course, are all the same person. These paradoxes can made your head spin, especially if you try to untangle Jane’s twisted parentage. If we drawJane’s family tree, we find that all the branches are curled inward back on themselves, as in a circle. We come to the astonishing conclusion that she is her own mother and father! She is an entire family tree unto herself.

this is really mind-boggling ?

[ Edited: 14 February 2011 11:40 AM by Phi- ]

10 of 10