3 of 10
Riddle
Posted: 24 September 2010 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, I got something but I am not sure if this is correct: (The kids are 1, 2, and 18. Presumably, the oldest one had to be old enough to be able to build the computer. But I wouldn’t bet my life on the answer. I’ll keep thinking…)

Posted: 24 September 2010 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I think I got it now: (The kids are 2, 2, and 9. The number of the house was 13. So, the only two possible combinations were 1, 6, 6, and 2, 2, and 9. Because we know one of the kids must be the oldest it is second set on numbers.)

Posted: 24 September 2010 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 24 September 2010 06:58 AM

I think I got it now: (The kids are 2, 2, and 9. The number of the house was 13. So, the only two possible combinations were 1, 6, 6, and 2, 2, and 9. Because we know one of the kids must be the oldest it is second set on numbers.)

Correct!

Eh, correct I mean…

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 24 September 2010 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

The detective story I wanted to play would probably not work here. So here is another riddle:

Prisoner is awaiting his execution and the king announces that he will give the prisoner one last chance to save himself. He gives the prisoner a sack with two marbles (supposedly a white one and a black one) and tells him that if he picks the black one he’ll be executed. Now, the king is not a very nice king, and puts two black marbles in the sack. The hangman knows about the king’s “playful nature” and tells the prisoner about the two black marble scam. The execution takes place the next morning and the prisoner has the night to come up with a solution to save his life. What is he to do to save himself?

Posted: 24 September 2010 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Occam. - 23 September 2010 12:07 AM

Well done.  You did it, but it’s too much trouble to enter the gray in hexadecimal so I’ll just stick with the white. 

And, no you are defining free will differently from the way I do.  As I said at the beginning of that thread, long, long, long ago.  All events (actions) are caused by prior events.  As such all our behavior is determined, but the causes are so complex and hidden that we can’t predict behavior or recognize its causes.  However, I won’t be sucked into that ridiculous argument here just as I stopped quickly in the other thread.

Occam

Or you could do a quote hack. (Try quoting me, I dare you!)

Or you could just quote your spoilers like so:

spoilers!!!!

So that they’ll always be gray.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 24 September 2010 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
GdB - 24 September 2010 07:01 AM
George - 24 September 2010 06:58 AM

Correct!

Eh, correct I mean…

GdB

Wait…

Where does it say the house number is 13??

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 24 September 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
domokato - 24 September 2010 11:33 AM

Wait…

Where does it say the house number is 13??

That’s up to you to figure out. If you’d like I’ll explain it to you. Let me know.

Posted: 25 September 2010 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 24 September 2010 07:30 AM

The detective story I wanted to play would probably not work here. So here is another riddle:

Prisoner is awaiting his execution and the king announces that he will give the prisoner one last chance to save himself. He gives the prisoner a sack with two marbles (supposedly a white one and a black one) and tells him that if he picks the black one he’ll be executed. Now, the king is not a very nice king, and puts two black marbles in the sack. The hangman knows about the king’s “playful nature” and tells the prisoner about the two black marble scam. The execution takes place the next morning and the prisoner has the night to come up with a solution to save his life. What is he to do to save himself?

Let the king take the remaining marble from the sack, when it is black it is obvious that the prisoner must have the white one. He just should not show it.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 25 September 2010 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You are close, GdB! But the king said it was the prisoner who had to pick the marble.

Posted: 25 September 2010 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

... The execution takes place the next morning and the prisoner has the night to come up with a solution to save his life. What is he to do to save himself?

Find a white marble.  (Various sources: 1) A pebble on the dirt floor of the prison, maybe chip it from the castle wall.  2) Ask the executioner if you can borrow a white marble.  3) Knock out the tooth of the King, hand it to him and say, here is your white f**kin’ marble your majesty.  4) Knock out your own tooth, hand it to King SOB, and he knocks out all the rest of your teeth, and then kills you, which won’t work to save you.  5) Rub a black marble on the walls and floor to get it dusty.
)

Judging by how far off I was with the last riddle I doubt that I got this one right either.  My answer for the riddle of two slow horses involved a good food, a brothel, and a week long entrance pass to it.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
jump_in_the_pit - 25 September 2010 07:42 PM

... The execution takes place the next morning and the prisoner has the night to come up with a solution to save his life. What is he to do to save himself?

Good riddle. Another option - pull out both the marbles { don’t really see how this helps to SAVE him…
}

I had heard the other one but had forgotten it!  Don’t remember this one at all. These are good. Thanks.

Posted: 26 September 2010 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sorry, jump_in_the_pit and Jackson, but those are not the correct answers. As I said earlier, so far GdB has been the closest.

Posted: 26 September 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

George, c’mon… so in this riddle the King keeps his crown, his throne, AND all of his teeth too?!  These riddles just aren’t very democratic, are they?  Tell me it isn’t so.  LOL

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 26 September 2010 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

If you want, JITP, I’ll tell you what the answer is…  grin

Posted: 27 September 2010 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
GdB - 25 September 2010 07:37 AM

Logically:

the prisoner cannot guarantee that he can save himself, because the King did not say that not drawing a black marble would mean that he’s saved.  He merely gave one possible means of ensuring death.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

3 of 10