FTC says POM juice ads are deceptive about health
Posted: 28 September 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Monday, September 27, 2010
The Record
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK   — Federal regulators filed complaints Monday against the makers of POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice, saying there’s no science to support claims that the products treat or prevent diseases such as prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction.

The Federal Trade Commission says POM Wonderful LLC, its parent company Roll International Corp., its creators and an executive violated federal law by making false and deceptive claims about disease prevention and treatment.

POM Wonderful says on its website that it has spent more than $34 million to support scientific research on POM products since 1998. Study topics include muscle recovery, diabetes, antioxidant potency, heart disease, prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction.

Regulators said the ads were misleading in saying the research shows the juice or related pomegranate supplements prevent or treat certain diseases.

The agency also wants to prevent POM and its parents, founders and the executive “from making any other health claim about any food, drug, or dietary supplement without competent and reliable scientific evidence.”

Regulators filed complaints against the makers of POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice and other products on Monday, saying there’s no science to support the company’s claims that its products treat or prevent diseases such as prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 28 September 2010 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

What?  Another company lied to sell more product and rake in ignorant ‘natural healing’ types?  The audacity of such a claim…..

Seriously though, I like pomegranate juice, but do I think it cures disease?  Grodd no.  It’s just delicious fruity water.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 28 September 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”
Should that be considered false advertising?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 September 2010 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Wait, they’re just getting a cease and desist? Shouldn’t they be fined or something?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 September 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 28 September 2010 05:14 PM

Wait, they’re just getting a cease and desist? Shouldn’t they be fined or something?

Why, after all it IS a beneficial product. Perhaps not all they claim, but beneficial nevertheless.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 September 2010 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

Isn’t that false advertising and doesn’t that get punished in the US?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 September 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

Nevermind. From wikipedia:

The goal is prevention rather than punishment, reflecting the purpose of civil law in setting things right rather than that of criminal law. The typical sanction is to order the advertiser to stop its illegal acts, or to include disclosure of additional information that serves to avoid the chance of deception. Corrective advertising may be mandated,[9][10]. But there are no fines or prison time except for the infrequent instances when an advertiser refuses to stop despite being ordered to do so.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising#United_States

Does anyone else think this should change? I think false advertising should be punished, otherwise advertisers can lie as much as they want until they are told to stop, and incur no adverse consequences.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
domokato - 28 September 2010 06:28 PM

Isn’t that false advertising and doesn’t that get punished in the US?

Have you watched commercials around here.

Honesty in advertising is like being a nice guy - and you know where nice guys end up.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2010 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Every advertisement claims their product is “all new, the best, the biggest, the fastest, the most popular, the most desirable”. If we were to enforce all breach of honesty, there would be no advertisement at all. Personally I could live with that, but any savvy shopper knows that most claims are inflated or placed in a “best” light and picks their product for price and quality.
To me all undoctered natural fruit juices (except grapefruit juice) are a good thing, regardless of claims of being the best this or that.
I do agree that, to make an unsubstantiated medical claim about a product is dangerous and should be restricted. When the manufacturer persists, then fines should be levied.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 28 September 2010 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I LOVE grapefruit juice. Unfortunately, if you are taking any medications, you have to assume an interaction, unless it has been cleared by your pharmacist! Fortunately, I am able to drink as much as I want.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 September 2010 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, Asanta. I normally have low to average blood pressure.  I happened to have a number of foods (French Onion Soup, fish & chips, etc.) at one time and saw I had B.P. significantly higher than I liked so I took a quarter of a dyazide tablet.  I had forgotten that I started with a glass of grapefruit juice about an hour before.  I went to the Y to exercise and felt a bit flaky.  When I got into the shower with the warm water, I realized that I was about to pass out.  I quickly cranked the water to pure cold, freezing my tail off, hoping to cause my skin capillaries to tighten up.  It worked, and as soon as I got out and dried off. drank about a quart of water.  I had always discounted the grapefruit story as a myth, but I found out that it’s medically documented.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 September 2010 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 29 September 2010 12:35 AM

I agree, Asanta. I normally have low to average blood pressure.  I happened to have a number of foods (French Onion Soup, fish & chips, etc.) at one time and saw I had B.P. significantly higher than I liked so I took a quarter of a dyazide tablet.  I had forgotten that I started with a glass of grapefruit juice about an hour before.  I went to the Y to exercise and felt a bit flaky.  When I got into the shower with the warm water, I realized that I was about to pass out.  I quickly cranked the water to pure cold, freezing my tail off, hoping to cause my skin capillaries to tighten up.  It worked, and as soon as I got out and dried off. drank about a quart of water.  I had always discounted the grapefruit story as a myth, but I found out that it’s medically documented.

Occam

Yes, I used to love grapefruit juice also, but I take Zocor and that reacts with grapefruit juice. Interestingly, grapefruit enhances the effects of some blood medications. I asked if I could reduce the Zocor and drink grapefruit juice as a booster, but apparently the effects are totally unpredictable and thus unsafe .

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 29 September 2010 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Write4U - 28 September 2010 07:21 PM

To me all undoctered natural fruit juices (except grapefruit juice) are a good thing, regardless of claims of being the best this or that.

Wow, tell me more.

In high school I was on the wrestling team and spent most of three seasons on the Grapefruit Diet - supposedly burns off carbs… or was it calories? It’s when I learned to love grapefruit sans sugar.

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2010 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 29 September 2010 01:12 AM

Yes, I used to love grapefruit juice also, but I take Zocor and that reacts with grapefruit juice. Interestingly, grapefruit enhances the effects of some blood medications. I asked if I could reduce the Zocor and drink grapefruit juice as a booster, but apparently the effects are totally unpredictable and thus unsafe .

Yes, it potentiates (I think I spelled that wrong) many, many drugs. For some reason, you don’t clear the drug as quickly. I can’t remember the mechanism any more. The only drug I ever took that interacted with grapefruit juice was ranitidine…and I told the doctor I would stop the ranitidine. Fortunately, the ranitidine was for a severe allergy, and since I left that environment, it was no longer needed. Occam, Grapefruit juice and BP meds can be particularly nasty, I think that is the reaction that cued them in on the problem.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 September 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 29 September 2010 09:36 AM

Yes, it potentiates (I think I spelled that wrong)

nope, I looked it up   smile

asanta - 29 September 2010 09:36 AM

many, many drugs. For some reason, you don’t clear the drug as quickly. I can’t remember the mechanism any more.

Anyone else?

Anyone know how the grapefruit diet works?

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
domokato - 28 September 2010 06:32 PM

Nevermind. From wikipedia:

The goal is prevention rather than punishment, reflecting the purpose of civil law in setting things right rather than that of criminal law. The typical sanction is to order the advertiser to stop its illegal acts, or to include disclosure of additional information that serves to avoid the chance of deception. Corrective advertising may be mandated,[9][10]. But there are no fines or prison time except for the infrequent instances when an advertiser refuses to stop despite being ordered to do so.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising#United_States

Does anyone else think this should change? I think false advertising should be punished, otherwise advertisers can lie as much as they want until they are told to stop, and incur no adverse consequences.

Yep, agreed completely. I should add that it has been blindingly obvious for years that POM’s ad campaign was deceptive.

But the airwaves are choked with deceptive ads pushing quackery in one form or another.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

1 of 3