1 of 2
Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Posted: 21 August 2006 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2003-08-05

I thought I would share this link from another forum I like, it is talking about Tyson’s appearance on Point of Inquiry.

http://www.neuralgourmet.com/2006/08/20/neil_degrasse_tyson_on_everything

I loved the interview and really like what he said about stupid design. This guy kicks ass.

Posted: 21 August 2006 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Looking forward to listening to that one, Nappy! Neil Tyson’s the greatest.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 August 2006 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: Neil DeGrasse Tyson

NappySmart wrote:                                    I thought I would share this link from another forum I like, it is talking about Tyson’s appearance on Point of Inquiry.

I loved the interview and really like what he said about stupid design.”

Thanks NappySmart. I bookmarked that site.
Bob

Posted: 21 August 2006 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-08-21

Re: Neil DeGrasse Tyson

[quote author=“NappySmart”]I thought I would share this link from another forum I like, it is talking about Tyson’s appearance on Point of Inquiry.

I loved the interview and really like what he said about stupid design. This guy kicks ass.

Thanks for the link NappySmart. I tended to gush over that show when I posted it, but Tyson really does rock.  CFI & Point of Inquiry do too. smile

Posted: 21 August 2006 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-08-17

This is one of the best episodes I’ve listened to in a while.  Neil is -amazing- to listen to.  He is just so knowledgable and insightful into his subjects.  I’ve seen a few Nova episodes (the Origins series) that he hosted, and they are great too.  I’m really glad this was a 1hr episode, since 30 minutes just couldn’t have done it justice!

Posted: 22 August 2006 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10
[quote author=“Mark”]This is one of the best episodes I’ve listened to in a while.  Neil is -amazing- to listen to.  He is just so knowledgable and insightful into his subjects.  I’ve seen a few Nova episodes (the Origins series) that he hosted, and they are great too.  I’m really glad this was a 1hr episode, since 30 minutes just couldn’t have done it justice!

I agree. It’s great to hear someone who is so passionate about science and the quest for knowledge.  I listened to this episode on my commute yesterday.  My work day, which consists of coding, seemed particularly dull and dumb. I want to go out and explore my world.

I would love to read his book that he plans on writing about raising kids who are science literate (I have 2 young kids).

Posted: 23 August 2006 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21

I can’t wait until that book is out either. My partner and I were made Godparents last year of my two twin nephew newbies. So such a book would be great to have.

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 23 August 2006 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Agree Agree

I just wanted to add my praise for the interview with Dr. Tyson.  He is amazing and compelling.  It is so apparent that he loves what he does.
Thanks, DJ, for one perfect hour! :D

Posted: 24 August 2006 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Just listened to the interview yesterday. Neil Tyson is really an inspiration to us all: articulate, smart, knowledgeable. It is a pleasure to listen to him, and I very much hope we will find him back on PoI soon and often. Although nobody will ever quite fill the shoes of the great Carl Sagan, Tyson is absolutely finding his own voice in the Saganian vein.

This is an interview EVERYONE should listen to.

I will add that we are very lucky to have Tyson in NYC at the Hayden Planetarium!

Great job, DJ.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 27 August 2006 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-08-03

Wow, that was a great podcast.  I am going to have to burn CD’s to give to some of my friends and relatives.  Congratulations to DJ on a great interview.

It was great how the interview tied in with the discussion with Lauren Becker about science and the public.  This guy really knows how to discuss science in an entertaining and inspiring way.

Posted: 28 August 2006 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

I’ll add my kudos as well.

Very nice show.

Posted: 29 August 2006 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-08-29

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed this podcast. Someone should carve Neil Tyson’s face on a mountain.

Signature 

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe."
~Carl Sagan

Posted: 01 September 2006 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

I’ve listened to the show a few times.  I’ve only been listening to POI for a few months, but already, this podcast is one of my favorites!

I’ve listened to Dr. Tyson and have seen him on tv. And I’ve had his memoir on my “wishlist” for about a year. But, after listening to this podcast I decided to read the book once and for all. I’m REALLY enjoying it! He has an engaging way of telling a story and he’s quite funny!

I borrowed the book from my university. It has “science library” stamped along its edges. So, had anyone noticed me cracking up while reading this “science” book they might’ve been perplexed.  smile I mean, who knew Dr. Tyson considered being a male stripper?

And the story about his heroic feat in Italy isn’t told simply for grins. That he manages to involve the science of physics makes his storytelling and experiences all the more engaging.

[quote author=“Viking054”]Someone should carve Neil Tyson’s face on a mountain.

Or, on US currency!  :D

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 07 September 2006 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-07-06

the show was great.

my only gripe was the comment he made about scientists like him (paraphrasing) ‘wasting their time’ on coming up with definitions for things like ‘planets’.

clear and coherent language, esp. definitions make science more powerful.

Posted: 08 September 2006 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“alexdiaz”]my only gripe was the comment he made about scientists like him (paraphrasing) ‘wasting their time’ on coming up with definitions for things like ‘planets’.

clear and coherent language, esp. definitions make science more powerful.

Quite right, alexdiaz. But I think the point he was making (and I’ve heard other scientists like Phil Plait say the same thing, on the recent Skepticality podcast) is that what we consider a ‘planet’ and what not just isn’t an interesting scientific issue.

For example, being an electron is an interesting scientific issue, since electrons have certain masses, charges, spins, et cetera; they enter into laws. If we could find out that our definition of ‘electron’ was somehow flawed, that would be of great consequence.

But being a planet just isn’t the same sort of thing at all. There is no confusion about Pluto’s (gross) properties—mass, velocity, albedo, composition, accompanying moon, etc.

In this sense, “planet” is sort of like the early notion of “atom”, which the ancient Greeks believed was a particle that couldn’t be split farther. It’s basically an archaic notion that doesn’t fit well with our more modern, scientifically inspired concepts: planets aren’t the god-like ‘wanderers’ of old. Atoms aren’t the smallest, unbreakable parts of things.

So debates over the nature of such basically archaic concepts are more for ‘public consumption’, since the person in the street cares deeply about what is an atom and what is a planet. The physicists who deal with these things don’t care so much because they see through the complexities that these notions are not necessarily very helpful, except in more-or-less standard cases.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 18 October 2006 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-18

Dr. Tyron said something like, “IDer’s give up trying to discover things when they are too complex in the chasm of the unknown.  What’s in those chasms?  The cure for cancer and the cure for alzheimers.  The last person we want on that frontier is an ID theorist.”

Is this really true?  What ID proponent states that they are not willing to try and discover cures for human diseases :?:

Signature 

Treat others as you’d like to be treated.
When in doubt, give the benefit.

1 of 2