“Cult” Abuse
Posted: 29 September 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-29

I haven’t heard much about cult abuse in the mainstream media lately.  What now happens to people who leave an abusive/demanding religious group? The term “cult” appears to be less politically correct today since many more religious groups have been accepted in society, but the situation must exist regardless of the names used.

Whenever a bible-based cult uses teachings like “friendship with the world is enmity against God” it is an invitation to prospective and current members to separate themselves from outside influences, however if the religious group fails to fill the needs of converts, these converts are again left to society which then has to deal with a badly adapted individual.  What efforts are there in West Michigan to help them to adapt to the outside world?

Those most attracted to extreme groups are often those who already suffer from a dysfunctional family life but I can’t even imagine how society absorbs these individuals.  What are they doing, living entirely alone and having to deal with their problems all by themselves?  Are there no escapees from abusive religion like there used to be?

I can only imagine that this is an as yet unaddressed social issue.  I wonder when it will become recognized as a social problem.

Posted: 29 September 2010 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

What society cares about goes in cycles.  Give it a few years and another high profile cult case and people will start freaking out and caring about cults again.  The public is fickle.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 29 September 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
dogon - 29 September 2010 11:47 AM

I haven’t heard much about cult abuse in the mainstream media lately.  What now happens to people who leave an abusive/demanding religious group? The term “cult” appears to be less politically correct today since many more religious groups have been accepted in society, but the situation must exist regardless of the names used.

Whenever a bible-based cult uses teachings like “friendship with the world is enmity against God” it is an invitation to prospective and current members to separate themselves from outside influences, however if the religious group fails to fill the needs of converts, these converts are again left to society which then has to deal with a badly adapted individual.  What efforts are there in West Michigan to help them to adapt to the outside world?

Those most attracted to extreme groups are often those who already suffer from a dysfunctional family life but I can’t even imagine how society absorbs these individuals.  What are they doing, living entirely alone and having to deal with their problems all by themselves?  Are there no escapees from abusive religion like there used to be?

I can only imagine that this is an as yet unaddressed social issue.  I wonder when it will become recognized as a social problem.

Well if it’ll make you feel better, you can google scientology cult abuse. Seems to be plenty about that lately.

Also IMO Religious Cults was at it’s height in the 70/80s. These days the cult fanatics are in the multi-level marketing industry.

Before it was about God, now it’s about making money. Of course in some cases I guess that goes hand in hand.