John Lennon’s 70th birthday (Merged)
Posted: 09 October 2010 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

Today would have been John Lennon’s 70th birthday.

You may say that I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will be as one

*sigh*  I still remember when he was killed. :(

Posted: 09 October 2010 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15

This post deserves to be under Humanism since John Lennon probably brought the awareness of the humanistic spirit to more people than anyone else in the last half of the twentieth century.
I still find myself freely shedding tears when I’m remind of our loss when this wonderful person was taken from us and his wife and his child.

NPR did John justice on this 70th anniversary of his birthday:
All We Are Saying: Three Weeks With John Lennon
{http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130429818}

October 9, 2010
In August 1980, writer David Sheff flew to New York for a big assignment: an interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono for the magazine Playboy. Every day for three weeks, Sheff, often with his tape recorder running, talked with the couple in their Central Park West apartment, on the street, in coffee shops and in recording studios. The Playboy interview hit the newsstands on Dec. 6.  
Sheff’s interviews with Lennon and Ono were collected in his book All We Are Saying.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

{http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13}

October 8, 2010
Also, Terri Gross at Fresh Air does homage with three interviews celebrating the life of John Lennon. 

Beatle Paul McCartney Remembers John Lennon
Cynthia Lennon Reflects On Life With John
Ringo Starr Remembers John Lennon

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 09 October 2010 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

downer Death by crazy.. I still think Imagine is the best song ever.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 October 2010 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Me too.. oh oh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 October 2010 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

didn’t he oppress millions of Russians?  ;p

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 10 October 2010 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

I heard the David Sheff interview yesterday. It was fascinating, and brought back memories both pleasant and unpleasant. I now want to buy the book of the Sheff/Lennon interviews. John Lennon was a fascinating man. His musical talents not only changed popular music they had a large influence on society.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 October 2010 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 09 October 2010 01:50 PM

I still think Imagine is the best song ever.

I remember when they announced some time ago that “Across The Universe” was supposedly the best song ever written. But I agree with you, Asanta, I like “Imagine” better.

Posted: 10 October 2010 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 09 October 2010 09:38 AM

This post deserves to be under Humanism since John Lennon probably brought the awareness of the humanistic spirit to more people than anyone else in the last half of the twentieth century.

Well, I can’t quite figure out where it should go, so I’ve put it in General Discussion.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 October 2010 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15
dougsmith - 10 October 2010 09:28 AM
citizenschallenge.pm - 09 October 2010 09:38 AM

Well, I can’t quite figure out where it should go, so I’ve put it in General Discussion.

Fair enough, at least you didn’t delete it.  smile

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 17 October 2010 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Ya’ know, the guy was before my time, really.  So I’ve only learned about him in retrospect.  Its all new to me, really.  smile  And from what little I know of Lennon it seems like he took a new direction in his life.  With that Imagine song, it seems like it was written with our kind in mind, and it is such a popular song still today.  I wonder if irreligion was a major motivator for him?  And I wonder if the other Beatles had trouble accepting that?  Obviously the USA had trouble accepting that idea, and certainly his killer couldn’t accept the “We’re bigger than Jesus now” comment.  Has there ever been any news or interviews of his where he talked about irreligion besides the song?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 17 October 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 17 October 2010 08:22 PM

Ya’ know, the guy was before my time, really.  So I’ve only learned about him in retrospect.  Its all new to me, really.  smile  And from what little I know of Lennon it seems like he took a new direction in his life.  With that Imagine song, it seems like it was written with our kind in mind, and it is such a popular song still today.  I wonder if irreligion was a major motivator for him?  And I wonder if the other Beatles had trouble accepting that?  Obviously the USA had trouble accepting that idea, and certainly his killer couldn’t accept the “We’re bigger than Jesus now” comment.  Has there ever been any news or interviews of his where he talked about irreligion besides the song?

He has another song, poem really…where the lines are “I don’t believe in god”, but he also goes down other religions like Vishnu and practices like yoga (which he was really into in his youth). If you google Lennon’s name and that line, you should get the poem. He is pretty clear about his nonbeliefs in it.
I was surprised to see Imagine sung at a religious venue, but quickly realized that they change the lyrics to fit their dogma….big (non)surprise!

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2010 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22
asanta - 09 October 2010 01:50 PM

downer Death by crazy.. I still think Imagine is the best song ever.

I agree, When I first joined the Center here in Buffalo it was used as our theme song.  I would like to add a new song to that list.  An advertising jingle, no less.  I first heard it last year during the NHK playoffs and the Gator-Aid spot that uses it played again during the NL playoff game last night,  I don’t know its name but it goes something like this.

If you want to have a revolution you must have evolution

It’s a catchy tune, maybe, by accident, someone has found a commercail use for getting the evolutionary message across.  Not only God works in mysterious ways. rolleyes

[ Edited: 19 October 2010 08:32 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 18 October 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I poked around for Lennon videos, if anyone is curious, here ya’ go…

The Beatle (is that Lennon?) seems to have apologized (see “The Beatles Popular than Jesus”, beware its loud) for the “Bigger than Jesus” comment.  The apology calls it a misunderstanding in the end, just the facts of TV and the Beatles being more popular with children than Jesus is, he explains, that’s all that he meant.  Oh well, I guess he took time to come to an irreligious conviction.  I guess he struggled.  Like many of us do.

Maybe it was later in his life, he had more conviction to the atheistic “And no religion too”, and Humanistic “Imagine all the people, living for the world” ideas, not to imply that he identified himself as an atheist nor a Humanist.  He seems like a good man either way though.  smile

I found a song “God” where Lennon says: God is a “concept… by which we measure our pain”, he sings that he dosen’t believe in magic, I-ching, the Bible, talent, Hitler, Jesus, Kennedy, government, mantra, Gita (Hinduism), yoga, kings smile, Elvis, Zimmerman, Beatles, he just believes in Yoko and himself.  No Bible and Jesus. smile  And no kings.  It’s so nice to hear a Brit say that.  grin  He says the dream was over yesterday downer, “I was the dreamweaver, but now I’m reborn”.  Maybe that’s what Asanta talking about.

Departing from irreligion for now, but still on Lennon’s philosophy… In a Dick Cavet interview/performance Lennon says that he’s “one of those NYC fanatics” and he “hate it when he leaves NYC”.  smile  He say he was a male chauvinist.  And the main point he and Yoko are pleaing a femminist message that Woman is the nigger of the world, sympathizing first with blacks and then with women.  The song is a bluesy R&R song.  The sax sounds like Saturday Night Live, to me.

[ Edited: 18 October 2010 09:06 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.