2 of 2
Which woo would change the world the most if it were true?
Posted: 15 October 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
dougsmith - 15 October 2010 04:09 AM

Point to point beaming would change the world a huge amount: no privacy, no security. Star Trek never took it seriously, IMO.

(Not clear if its drawbacks would outweigh its benefits, but it would completely change society).

There was a sci-fi story about teleportation technology being developed. It required a sender/receive unit. In the story when the technology first came out people put the units in their house. They would then return to find they’d been thoroughly robbed.

Teleportation (even if only non-living items) would so radically change the world. You could live pretty much anywhere and have access to pretty much anything. Trucking, shipping, air freight, all would be obsolete. (Granted those industries would most likely fight tooth and nail to hamstring the technology.)

ESP would be scary. On the plu side, it might drastically reduce crime, as the truth about who committed a crime would be easy to determine. Provided of course that the guilty part was present to have their mind read. Hmm… It might also prevent innocent people from going to jail.

(Just think what ESP would do for marriage counseling. LOL)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 October 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3050
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m thinking magic would have the most drastic effect on our world.  Though I’m not sure whether it would be for the better or the worse.  Possibly both.  Can you imagine being able to bend and break the laws of physics, and reality in general, with but a thought?  It would be chaos.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 October 2010 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
Dead Monky - 15 October 2010 02:26 PM

I’m thinking magic would have the most drastic effect on our world.  Though I’m not sure whether it would be for the better or the worse.  Possibly both.  Can you imagine being able to bend and break the laws of physics, and reality in general, with but a thought?  It would be chaos.

Problem is that ‘magic’ is such a large topic, it’s hard to know what to say about it. It depends on what kind of magic it would be.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 October 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I was thinking the typical fantasy game kind.  You know, teleportation, fireballs, levitation, lightning bolts, scrying, the grab-bag kind.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
harry canyon - 15 October 2010 10:55 AM

There was a sci-fi story about teleportation technology being developed. It required a sender/receive unit. In the story when the technology first came out people put the units in their house. They would then return to find they’d been thoroughly robbed.

Teleportation (even if only non-living items) would so radically change the world. You could live pretty much anywhere and have access to pretty much anything. Trucking, shipping, air freight, all would be obsolete. (Granted those industries would most likely fight tooth and nail to hamstring the technology.)

Right, and people would have access to you as well. Murder, rape, assault, theft, all would become frighteningly easy. You could rob the bank in a flash.

If you can remember the name of the story, I’d like to take a look. (I’m sure this all must have been dealt with a million times in SF stories).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

...and if there was FTL travel, they could get far, far away very fast.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Wow, with teleportation, imagine the affairs I could have! I could rendezvous with my lover on my lunch break! We could meet in Paris, have a nice romp in the hay, and I would be back on time to go to work again!!  grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Until a terrible transporter accident merged you together into a single, horrific monster that would terrorize the night streets of Paris for years to come.

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-11-18
Rocinante - 15 October 2010 07:48 AM

I think the the Zombie Apocalypse would be a big change…for the better! grin

zombie-apocalypse.jpg

zombie_apocalypse_demotivator.jpg

Lots and lots of target practice.

Signature 

Skeptics are always good, but Debunkers serve no purpose.

Posted: 21 November 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-11-18

Truthfully, I think the biggest myth that would change the world if it were true is the one about non crazy mother in laws, or even (hehe) the one about there being mother in laws that aren’t haters. I know it would have the biggest impact of them all anyway. Now if were talking about Zombie mother in laws, (they’re half way there anyway) well that changes things completely. Or is it just me?

Signature 

Skeptics are always good, but Debunkers serve no purpose.

2 of 2