1 of 3
Transgender golfer challenges LPGA rule
Posted: 15 October 2010 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

It’s things like this that make me lose an hour of sleep each night.

Does anyone think that the ACLU’s going to be jumping all over this one? :D

Golfer challenges LPGA’s rule you have to be born a woman
By Jay Busbee
Follow Jay Busbee on Twitter at @jaybusbee.

So here’s a problem that the golf world in the time of Arnold Palmer and Babe Zaharias didn’t have to deal with ... at least, not as far as we know. A transgender golfer is challenging the LPGA’s “female at birth” rule, claiming that it unfairly infringes upon her civil rights.

First, the background: Lana Lawless is the plaintiff. Five years ago, Lawless underwent a sex change operation. Two years ago, she won a 2008 women’s long-drive competition with a tee shot of 254 yards. But now, she’s run up against the LPGA—which, surprisingly enough, had a “female at birth” rule already on the books—and she’s finding it difficult to make headway.

[Rewind: World champion sprinter settles gender dispute]

As a result, Lawless has filed suit in San Francisco federal court with the intention of barring the LPGA from holding tournaments in California until it changes its policy banning transgender players. Also named in the suit are three LPGA sponsors and the Long Drivers of America, which sponsored the ‘08 contest she won. This year, the company changed its rules on transgender players to match those of the LPGA.

“I am, in all respects, legally and physically female,” Lawless said in a statement Wednesday. “The state of California recognizes me as such and the LPGA should not be permitted to come into California and blatantly violate my rights. I just want to have the same opportunity to play professional golf as any other woman.”

The obvious concern among many, of course, is that being legally and physically female doesn’t automatically reroute one’s physical abilities from the male framework to the female one. Put another way, if, say, Phil Mickelson suddenly underwent gender-reassignment surgery, Philomena Mickelson wouldn’t suddenly lose her short-game ability. Jane Daly would—well, let’s be honest—“Jane Daly” would be tabloid fodder every day of the week, and twice on tournament Sundays. However, the hormone treatments which Ms. Lawless has most likely undergone would mitigate much of that physical advantage.

[Rewind: Ohio girl is homecoming queen and star kicker on same night]

The International Olympic Committee has permitted transgender athletes since 2004, provided the athlete underwent surgery and no less than two years of hormone-replacement therapy. But it’s obviously a potential hot-button issue; recall the story of Caster Semenya, the South African sprinter who faced constant questions about her gender last year.

On the 2010 schedule, the LPGA has three tournaments in California, including this week’s CVS/pharmacy LPGA Challenge. It’s highly unlikely Lawless will get tournaments blocked in the state, but her case is already opening the transgender conversation, and regardless of the outcome, that’s a good thing.

[ Edited: 15 October 2010 09:26 AM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 15 October 2010 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Well, if you have to be born a woman you have to be born a woman.

I’m kind of torn on this whole transgender thing.  I understand (well not understand, but grasp) the inner conflicts and whatnot that such people go through and all.  And I get that, legally, post-op they are whatever their new sex is, but I have a hard time thinking of them as such.  I mean, their DNA still says she’s a man.  Eh, whatever.  As long as she’s happy.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 October 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Legally it’s all a joke. A man is a man regardless of how much he chops off, replaces, or simply adds to his body and the same goes for all women. Without accepting this simple fact, we get TG women going on Opera saying how their the first “man” to have a baby. What makes it even more obsurd is that you have the rest of the people watching the show believing it. Where does the dementia end?

Posted: 15 October 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

It ends with men marrying turtles, women marrying goats, the coasts sliding into the oceans, and Jesus riding his brontosaurus though Central Park.

431306643_ed728b5688_o.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Nah, I don’t think that the Y chromosome is the end of the story, when it comes to gender.  The sex-reassignment candidates that I’ve known, they’re always insisting with all sincerity and skepticism that gender is just a myth!  If you can believe that!  These people are serous about their gender issues, and they run as deep in them as gender runs deep in most of us.  These gender-benders, they can really throw you for a loop, if your not careful, so wake up everyone.  Isn’t there room in the language for just one more pronoun?  She, he, and it just aren’t enough for everyone.

I did sympathize with her story when I first _heard_ it, then I saw her!  Now I sympathize with the other LPGA women.  At least the transgendered lady has a career in the NFL to fall back on, if the LPGA dosen’t accept her, half-jokingly speaking.  smile

[ Edited: 15 October 2010 04:44 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 15 October 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

I think it’s only fair that if we’re to recognize this person as a woman that we recognize this man as a cat.

Image Attachments
600xPopupGallery.jpgcatman_m_aitchison.jpg

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I refuse to recognize him as anything other than a creeper.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Dead Monky - 15 October 2010 06:01 PM

I refuse to recognize him as anything other than a creeper.

I’d say the TG man is equally disturbing.

Posted: 15 October 2010 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

TG people seem to have genuine gender identity issues and extremely high rates of suicide if forced to live as their birth gender.  Cat Creeper there is just a fruitcake with a fetish and attention seeking issues.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Dead Monky - 15 October 2010 06:17 PM

TG people seem to have genuine gender identity issues and extremely high rates of suicide if forced to live as their birth gender.  Cat Creeper there is just a fruitcake with a fetish and attention seeking issues.

Well the people who seem to genuinely feel that their the wrong sex are having more of a reality crisis than an identity crisis. People who can’t accept the reality of life suffers by it.

Posted: 15 October 2010 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

We had a whole thread on sex and gender a few months ago. Rene’ Richardson was the first transgender to play tennis. He fought to be recognized as a woman when he had a sex change operation. I think that was a good decision. Someone who has had a gender reassignment (not an easy surgery BTW), so their sexual identity matches their gender, should be recognized as that gender.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 October 2010 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 15 October 2010 09:30 PM

We had a whole thread on sex and gender a few months ago. Rene’ Richardson was the first transgender to play tennis. He fought to be recognized as a woman when he had a sex change operation. I think that was a good decision. Someone who has had a gender reassignment (not an easy surgery BTW), so their sexual identity matches their gender, should be recognized as that gender.

But it’s ultimately accepting a lie. Catering to a persons fantasy doesn’t change the reality that the person is a guy.

Posted: 15 October 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It seems that we first have to ask why we have sports assigned to a specific sex.  Why not boxing, football, wrestling, etc. held as unisex competitions?  The obvious answer is that a human who grew up under the influence of testosterone will devlop a different, larger, and more muscular body than one who developed with estrogen as a predominant hormone.  If the tenth ranked male boxer realizes he has not chance as a male so haa the gender changing operation, then preceeds to completely beat all the genetically female boxers to a pulp and becomes world champion female boxer, is that fair?

I agree that there should be no discrimination against a woman who had the gender changing operation from a male when she was less than five years old.  However, once s/he allows the hormonal effects to take place, she may be considered a female for every day situations, however, for those based on physical (the body’s) prowess, I think the person should still be considered whatever the person’s body devloped as.

I suggest that the associations for each sport require in their rules that members competing against others in that sport must both have the same chromosome pair, either XX or XY.

Occam

P.S.  I’m surprised that D_M didn’t comment something about the “golf” balls s/he used.  smile

[ Edited: 15 October 2010 11:28 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 October 2010 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It seems to me that Rene Richardson never showed that growing up as a male gave her any advantage after her sex change operation when she won the ability to compete as a tennis player.

Exmachina, do you think that a gay male’s attraction to another male is also catering to a ‘fantasy’?

Believe me, to the men and women getting sex reassignment surgery, it is NOT a joke. It can, in fact, be a lifesaver since this population has a high suicide rate.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 October 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28
ExMachina - 15 October 2010 09:54 PM

Catering to a persons fantasy doesn’t change the reality that the person is a guy.

I heard biologist Helen Fisher discuss her favorite science book.  In the book “As Nature Made Him” one male twin has a botched circumcision. The parents go to a psychologist named John Money and together they decide that the little boy would become a little girl. The parents started dressing the little boy as a girl. They encourage “girlish” behavior in the boy twin and “boyish” behavior in the boy twin. I haven’t read the book so I don’t know how it ends. But Fisher, who is a twin herself, believes that many of our characteristics come from our biology not our culture.

There’s also the recent story about the 5 year old boy who wants to be a princess. His parents are letting him be.

[ Edited: 16 October 2010 09:32 AM by T. Ruth ]
 Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 16 October 2010 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 16 October 2010 08:49 AM

It seems to me that Rene Richardson never showed that growing up as a male gave her any advantage after her sex change operation when she won the ability to compete as a tennis player.

You’re looking at it all wrong if you think that it’s about advantages. He is a man posing as a woman trying to bring others into his delusion. I agree with Occam regarding chromosomes. XX is Female. XY is Male. You can’t change phisiology no matter how many pee pee’s you chop off or add. 

Exmachina, do you think that a gay male’s attraction to another male is also catering to a ‘fantasy’?

Gay male attraction is real, accepting a transgender male as a female is a lie.  He’s not a female.

Believe me, to the men and women getting sex reassignment surgery, it is NOT a joke. It can, in fact, be a lifesaver since this population has a high suicide rate.

But under that thinking you can also say that smoking cigarettes can also save lives, because it helps people out with their stress, hence preventing suicide. I don’t see a problem with a person living a delusional life, as long as he doesn’t expect/demand others to believe his delusion as though it were fact. The man has some serious mental issues. At least I can agree with you on that.

[ Edited: 16 October 2010 10:27 AM by ExMachina ]

1 of 3