1 of 5
German multicultural society has failed?
Posted: 16 October 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

So says Angela Merkel:

16 October 2010 Last updated at 14:47 ET
Merkel says German multicultural society has failed

Attempts to build a multicultural society in Germany have “utterly failed”, Chancellor Angela Merkel says.

In a speech in Potsdam, she said the so-called “multikulti” concept - where people would “live side-by-side” happily - did not work.

Mrs Merkel’s comments come amid recent outpourings of strong anti-immigrant feeling from mainstream politicians.

A recent survey showed that more than 30% of Germans believed Germany was “overrun by foreigners”. ...

Disturbing trend, I think. While multiculturalism and the ideals of an open, secular society will never be easy to achieve, and will always have their problems, to claim that living together has “failed” is pretty breathtaking, particularly in Germany.

It is true, though, that Europe has a much more difficult time with foreign integration than the US.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Yeah, because it goes so smoothly here.  rolleyes

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think it has ever worked nor it ever will. It is one thing to see people of different backgrounds living side by side in the big cities, but then, people living in big cities care as much about a person of different background as they care about a homeless person.

I will recommend once again Judith Rich Harris’s book “The Nurture Assumption” where she explains why children since early age tend to form groups based on gender and race and where she offers some possible solutions on how to deal with this problem.

I also recommend to anybody who is interested in this topic to listen to a discussion (HERE) on “The Merits of Racial Diversity” between Tim Wise and Jared Taylor.

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t think it has ever worked nor it ever will. It is one thing to see people of different backgrounds living side by side in the big cities, but then, people living in big cities care as much about a person of different background as they care about a homeless person.

Ah yes.  How could I forget that people in small towns are more accepting, tolerant, and caring.  Foolish, foolish me.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Where did I say that, DM?

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I think George was saying that while multiculturism appears to work in big cities because most of the people there don’t relate to their neighbors anyway, it doesn’t really work there and doesn’t work in small towns either.  Not that I completely agree, but that’s what I saw George’s post as saying.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Maybe I missed the point then.  I do that.  But this:

but then, people living in big cities care as much about a person of different background as they care about a homeless person.

...stuck out in my head.  I hate that asinine crap about people in small towns having better morals and being nicer, better people.  I’m touchy about it.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2010 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

In general people in big cities are more tolerant of diversity, because they are forced to live within it. And that’s a good thing.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 October 2010 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 16 October 2010 01:30 PM

I will recommend once again Judith Rich Harris’s book “The Nurture Assumption” where she explains why children since early age tend to form groups based on gender and race and where she offers some possible solutions on how to deal with this problem.

I also recommend to anybody who is interested in this topic to listen to a discussion (HERE) on “The Merits of Racial Diversity” between Tim Wise and Jared Taylor.

Personally I would not like a hodge podge of cultures, I prefer the tossed salad approach, where each culture has the freedom to retain its own identity, rather than a watered down version blended until it is no longer recognizable. But, of course that brings with it some serious obstacles when there are clashing cultures in a confined area.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

You can’t stop cultures from mixing.  It always happens.  Whenever cultures meet they inevitably influence one another to some degree.  The more contact they have, the more they change the other.  Not that I think that’s what you’re proposing.  I’m just saying that reality makes the wish a little unrealistic.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 16 October 2010 01:47 PM

In general people in big cities are more tolerant of diversity, because they are forced to live within it. And that’s a good thing.

Well, if it were a good thing I doubt Merkel would feel the need to announce that any attempt at building multicultural society has failed. But forget Germany. Look at your own cities like Detroit or Cleveland where “white flight” has greatly added to the misfortune of these places. No, I am afraid the evidence clearly shows that diversity is, overall, not a good thing.

Posted: 16 October 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

So what then?  We split up to live in our own little homogeneous enclaves?  That would work great.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2010 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 16 October 2010 02:32 PM

So what then?  We split up to live in our own little homogeneous enclaves?  That would work great.

Seems nature has worked this out for non intelligent life. A grizzly would not mess with a badger’s kill though he might be 100x larger.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Seems nature has worked this out for non intelligent life. A grizzly would not mess with a badger’s kill though he might be 100x larger.

Hah!  Animals steal food from each other all the time.  Bears have been observed taking kills from wolves and wolverines, hyenas steal food from lions, bald eagles steal fish from other birds.  Hell, honey badgers have been recording stealing food out of the mouths of puff adders.

And on the other end are all the examples of symbiosis in nature.  Animals mix it up all the time.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2010 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 16 October 2010 03:06 PM

Hah!  Animals steal food from each other all the time. 

Surely, you haven’t forgotten we are animals   tongue wink
This brings me back to the good’ol rat over-population experiments.

For instance in many small towns it is still possible to leave house doors unlocked… but I don’t think that has anything to do with people being innately better - just a lot less of them so there is a totally different dynamic going on in a smaller community than an over-crowded anonymous community.

Everything in moderation, including elbow rubbing.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 16 October 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 16 October 2010 02:26 PM

Well, if it were a good thing I doubt Merkel would feel the need to announce that any attempt at building multicultural society has failed. But forget Germany. Look at your own cities like Detroit or Cleveland where “white flight” has greatly added to the misfortune of these places. No, I am afraid the evidence clearly shows that diversity is, overall, not a good thing.

This doesn’t make sense to me.  You provide examples where a reduction in diversity has made conditions worse, and then say that diversity is not good?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

1 of 5