2 of 3
4th-Grade Textbook Claims “Thousands Of Blacks” Fought For Confederacy
Posted: 23 October 2010 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
Jackson - 23 October 2010 08:58 AM

Slavery is wrong of course so whether blacks fought for confederacy or not—what’s the point?

Trust Jackson to cut the point to the quick. smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 October 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Here is an example on the internet
http://www.civilwarhome.com/blacks.html

This Prof. Edward Smith sounds odd.
http://cwmemory.com/2010/06/10/edward-c-smith-on-black-confederates/
http://www.american.edu/cas/faculty/esmith.cfm

Jackson, the first link doesn’t work.
In the second link, if you go to the home page, there is a rebuttal to the article about blacks serving in the Confederacy.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 October 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
asanta - 23 October 2010 12:08 PM

Here is an example on the internet
http://www.civilwarhome.com/blacks.html

Jackson, the first link doesn’t work.
In the second link, if you go to the home page, there is a rebuttal to the article about blacks serving in the Confederacy.

Thanks—I somehow corrupted it when I typed it in
http://www.civilwarhome.com/blacks.htm

I agree Edward Smith appears to be a crackpot (more than odd).
Please don’t think I agree with Prof. Smith.

Either on the ‘facts’ or his interpretation of them.

Posted: 25 October 2010 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
Dead Monky - 20 October 2010 11:56 AM

Link

Civil War scholars say, “Umm, no.  No they did not.”  Who do you believe?  The historians or the textbook’s author who is a “fairly respected author” who did her research primarily on the internet.  I’m sure you can see who is in the right here.

Slavery is wrong of course so whether blacks fought for confederacy or not—what’s the point? 

Here is an example on the internet [EDITED link—*.htm not *.html]
http://www.civilwarhome.com/blacks.htm

No actually slavery is a good thing. Muhammad had many slaves throughout his lifetime, but always felt that it was only right for them to be treated well.

Posted: 25 October 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, I’m supposed to be the resident wise-ass.  A simple question to address this statement is, would you like to give up your freedom and become a slave, even if you were “treated well”?  Remember, that you wouldn’t decide who your wife or girlfriend was (if any), no vacations unless you were brought along to work, the only food you got was what your master decided was good for you, no books to read unless your master thought they would make you a better slave, and so on.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 October 2010 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No thanks! Nor would I do it to any one else!

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2010 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-09-03

slavery is not a good thing.

Posted: 26 October 2010 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
Jackson - 26 October 2010 02:47 AM

slavery is not a good thing.

Why do people always have to reaffirm the obvious?

Posted: 26 October 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t know.  Being a slave could be kind of fun.

thumb.jpg

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 October 2010 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

So is Joy Masoff just one of ‘These Confederate heritage groups have been making this claim for years as a way of purging their cause of its association with slavery.’

masoff_joy.jpg

The truth about the US Civil War is the the Slave States of the south seceded primarily because of complaints against the Free States not enforcing Federal laws against fugitive slaves who’ve fled to a Free State, and there were other complaints, especially against Lincoln.  They accused Lincoln of being an Abolitionist, actually he had always sought the middle ground between the Free and Slave States.  Even the Emancipation Proclamation (Jan 1, 1863, over a year-and-a-half after the attack at Ft. Sumter), still it wasn’t a Radical Abolitionist document, it was limited, and depended on the Union winning.  At first Unionists were defending, then after 1863-01-01 they officially opposed slavery, not to imply that it was neither popular nor unpopular among the Unionists.  I suppose the former slaves were officially accepted into the US military after that.  I don’t think that “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” ever applied to the former slaves, smile.

The US Civil War didn’t happen in a vacuum, during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries many empires were freeing their slaves and abolishing the slave trade, the USA was not the pioneering Abolitionists, the whole world was abolishing slavery.  In the southern USA they would have seen Abolitionism all around them, even in their home country.  So a few months after Lincoln was elected, some Slave States seceded, formed a government, money system, army, they did that and a lot more, recreating the old defunct Confederacy, and they attacked the supply lines to Ft. Sumter to drive the US Soldiers out of southern lands, beginning with S. Carolina.  Now-a-days Ft. Sumter is a park and memorial.  In the end General Lee surrendered, and the war ended.  Lincoln accepted the seceded states back into the USA under the 10% Plan.

The Confederate argument since the mid-nineteenth century been that since slavery was law, then they weren’t doing anything wrong by pursuing it, and it was the Free States who wrongly weren’t enforcing the fugitive slave laws.  Each side did support the laws, as long as they were the ones who wrote it.  Keep in mind that the Slave Masters wrote those laws into the Federal code. 

The legal history of the slave laws, and especially the “Compromise of 1850” which admitted California into the USA as a state, is very interesting reading, explaining the legal situation leading up to the Civil War.  The word “slave” is not in the US Constitution, even though most of the founders kept people enslaved themselves.

From what I can gather, the modern Confederates want to erase slavery, and turn the story of the old south into a gentile, orderly society, of pristine beauty, chivalry, grace, and harmony, where everyone had a place, knew their place, and stayed in their place.  That idea didn’t really start until after the Civil War in series of fiction books that were popular in the N and S.  Its a fiction story.

[ Edited: 26 October 2010 01:22 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 26 October 2010 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 23 October 2010 12:43 AM

I agree with you on that. It reminds me of US revisionist history which would change blacks to white when telling stories. I was amazed to find out that (for instance) Bill Pickett the bull wrangler was actually black. He was always played by whites in the movies when I was a child. And he was very black, with dark brown skin. When I was a child, I could look through the encyclopedia, and there were a number of black inventors and scientist which would have no picture and no notation that they were African American. This gave my HS teachers the confidence to state that with few exceptions, blacks had accomplished nothing of note since they were brought to the USA in the 1640s.

I was on an “Old West” history kick for a while and one of the more interesting books I read was The Black West by William Loren Katz. Amazing how non-white the old west was. smile

Take care,

Derek

P.S. Another one was Red Blood, Black Ink: Journalism in the Old West by David Dary.

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 26 October 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I used to work with one of Bill Pickett’s grandnieces years ago. She used to bring in things she inherited from him for our hospital’s black history celebrations. I think that was how I found out he was actually a black man.

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-09-03

minor update - in the news today the textbook company agreed to change the book and give out white stickers to put in the current edition….

Posted: 29 October 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Aren’t there any textbooks written by someone more professional than Masoff?  Why isn’t the publisher and school looking for a professional?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 29 October 2010 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 29 October 2010 11:54 AM

Aren’t there any textbooks written by someone more professional than Masoff?  Why isn’t the publisher and school looking for a professional?

...and why isn’t someone doing at least a cursory fact check?

Signature 

2 of 3