If I Were to Write a Book
Posted: 21 October 2010 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-10-20

I’ve been contemplating writing a book about my doubts and questions regarding religion.  My wife and son are afraid that would put us in danger for me to come out as an athiest.  I’ve been getting comments like, “It’s better not to write anything.  It would make some people very angry.”  The book would be called “I’m Still Searching” or something like that.  It’s sad that I could put myself in physical danger just by writing my honest thoughts in a book.  I guess Dawkins, Hitchens and Dennett have received some threats, but would I receive the same kinds of threats?

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-09-07

Humans being what they (we) are, it’s quite natural to expect being persecute for holding unpopular beliefs - many an original thinker, from Copernicus to Spinoza, has received such treatment. Where I come from, for example (Nigeria), one could easily get himself lynched for openly doubting God’s existence. But that should be no reason why one shouldn’t stick to the truth - truth can be ugly, you know;and it’s precious cargo, you have to be strong to lift it.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I don’t know if I would worry so much about it.  If you want to write and publish your book, I’d go for it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I have often worried that if I one day became a Hollywood star (or the next CEO of Microsoft), the Paparazzi wouldn’t leave me alone.  cheese Write the book first, questionsaboutfaith, and then worry about the rest.

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Yeah, lots of questions first: will you finish it? Will you find an agent and a publisher willing to take it on? Will it sell? Etc. These are increasingly high hurdles. I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but more likely nothing will happen, unless you go around promoting it a heck of a lot and you say some very incendiary things. Dawkins, Hitchens and Dennett were very high profile authors before writing anything about atheism: three of the highest profile authors in the English language, actually.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Doug, he can always self-publish.  One doesn’t necessarily need an agent, although it is great if a person can get one.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 October 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 21 October 2010 09:29 AM

Doug, he can always self-publish.  One doesn’t necessarily need an agent, although it is great if a person can get one.

Sure, but then his chances of selling more than a handful become astronomical, unless, again, he’s willing to do all his own marketing and promotion (and unless he’s very good at doing his own marketing and promotion ...)

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 October 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Or he can “burn down the Temple of Artemis” and then publish a book.  cheese

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22
Pambania - 21 October 2010 08:13 AM

truth can be ugly, you know;and it’s precious cargo, you have to be strong to lift it.

Nice metaphor!

To address the origional poster’s cnocern:

Use a pseudonym.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 21 October 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
TromboneAndrew - 21 October 2010 11:55 AM

Use a pseudonym.

Good point. Always an option.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It also depends where you are located.  In a highly religious, fundamentalist area you could get more hassle that you would if you were located in a more religiously tolerant and diverse area such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, London, etc.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
dougsmith - 21 October 2010 10:13 AM
Mriana - 21 October 2010 09:29 AM

Sure, but then his chances of selling more than a handful become astronomical, unless, again, he’s willing to do all his own marketing and promotion (and unless he’s very good at doing his own marketing and promotion ...)

I personally would not discourage him, but that’s me and I’m doing self-publishing for my book through Lulu.  Then again, I’m willing to take the risk.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I wouldn’t have any trouble publishing a book if I were to write one, since it would be no more than 4 pages and could be printed at the local stationery super-store.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 October 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 21 October 2010 03:50 PM

I wouldn’t have any trouble publishing a book if I were to write one, since it would be no more than 4 pages and could be printed at the local stationery super-store.  LOL

Occam

hehe….as always….succinct.. grin

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U