9 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 28 February 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
jump_in_the_pit - 27 February 2011 06:17 PM
garythehuman - 26 February 2011 01:01 PM

i am Making potatoe soup for the D&D crew tomorrow.

Yum.  What is your base for that soup?

Yield 6 servings:

2thps butter
1 oniion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, fimely chopped
5 medium potatoes, diced (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper or more to taste
2 cups milk
salt to taste
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (approx 4 oz)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Shredded Cheddar cheese.

1.  Melt butter in Dutch over or large sause pan.
2. Add onion and garlic.  Cook withou browning 3 to 4 Min.
3. Add potatoes, chicken stock, thyme and pepper.  Bring to biol.  Reduce heat.  Cook covered, 20 min. or until potatoes are very tender.
4. Puree half the soup mixture.  Return to the remaing soup in pot. 
5.  Add Milk.  Heat thoroughly. eason to taste with salt and pepper.
6.  Stir in cheese.  Cook gently just until cheese melts.
7.  Serve sprinkled with parsley and shreded Cheddar Cheese (make it look good.)

Prep time 20 min.  Cooking time 25 min.

Can be doubled or more as necessary depending on how well you like peeling potatoes.  hmmm

[ Edited: 28 February 2011 07:22 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I missed the Thyme and cheddar and added celery and a dash of tabasco.  That’s not too bad for never having looked at a potato soup recipe or eaten it.  smile

(I know, D-M’s going to say that to be accurate I should have listed the amounts of each.  tongue laugh

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 March 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Isn’t the recipe for any soup the same as the Axe Soup (I think here it may be known as the Stone Soup).  grin

Posted: 01 March 2011 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 28 February 2011 12:45 PM
garythehuman - 26 February 2011 01:01 PM

i am Making potatoe soup for the D&D crew tomorrow.

Don’t forget the displacer beast meat.  It compliments the potatoes quite well.

Good advice. I used Beholder once… blecch…

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 05 March 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

For those of you daring enough to eat acid…  What do you think of the hot sauces?  By that I mean the simplistic peppered vinegar variety.  Black/white/green/red peppercorns coming from a completely different old world plant than new world bell peppers/chilis, of course, but I don’t care how you spice-up your vinegar.  smile

I’ll score the heat of the sauce based on the hottest heat that I’ve tasted being 10, so these numbers are relative to my experience.  The Scoville scale seems to process the chili peppers in an unusual way, and since the heat of the sauce varies by how much peppers they put in it, so that scale isn’t practical when comparing hot sauces by taste.

I tried Sylvia’s (heat: 5), but didn’t like it because it so salty, and not much other flavor.  tobasco (heat: 6) is of course tasty and hot, but pricey for such a dirt cheap sauce.  tobasco with lime (heat: 4) (the green one) is good and flavorful with some good heat too, pricey.  Chulula with lime (heat: 5) has a small amount of flavor, nicely thick, pricey.  A store brand called Western Beef (heat: 6) is pleasant all around although plain, and low priced.  I tend to like the sauces made from tobasco chili peppers.  I’ve made my own habanero sauce and it was tasty.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 March 2011 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

agree with your evaluations, JITP.  I recall using a coupon to buy some sauce claimed to be super hot.  I was so annoyed after using it that I e-mailed the company and told them that I could achieve an equivalent level of heat by holding my food in my armpit for a few minutes.

I like to use the Green Tabasco that has a bit of bell type pepper flavor and agree that one needs a fair amount of it.

My daughter makes something that many do in Hawaii, called Volcano Sauce.  They grow a tiny red pepper, gather them when ripe, put them in a blender, add vinegar and make a thick sauce.  She sent me a small jar.  She warned me but I didn’t listen.  I used about as much as I would of the red Tabasco, and suffered for about five minutes as I sucked a lemon wedge and drank orange juice.  I cut it about ten to one with vinegar and a bit of salt and used that.  I warned her that if she sent any more of it though the mail she would run the risk of being arrested as a terrorist.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 05 March 2011 02:33 PM

agree with your evaluations, JITP.  I recall using a coupon to buy some sauce claimed to be super hot.  I was so annoyed after using it that I e-mailed the company and told them that I could achieve an equivalent level of heat by holding my food in my armpit for a few minutes.

I like to use the Green Tabasco that has a bit of bell type pepper flavor and agree that one needs a fair amount of it.

My daughter makes something that many do in Hawaii, called Volcano Sauce.  They grow a tiny red pepper, gather them when ripe, put them in a blender, add vinegar and make a thick sauce.  She sent me a small jar.  She warned me but I didn’t listen.  I used about as much as I would of the red Tabasco, and suffered for about five minutes as I sucked a lemon wedge and drank orange juice.  I cut it about ten to one with vinegar and a bit of salt and used that.  I warned her that if she sent any more of it though the mail she would run the risk of being arrested as a terrorist.  smile

Occam

tongue laugh I remember those peppers! My hot pepper loving dad did the same thing! tongue laugh It was priceless to watch!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 March 2011 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

When I was young and knew nothing about peppers, I had a bag of some nasty processed frozen chicken nuggets, with a hot sauce receipe on the back, so I gave it a try.  (Sucker!)  I heated the ingredients, a cup or two of white vinegar, a cup or two of water, with a little oil, some slivers of carrot and yellow onion… then came the good stuff… I bought some fresh peppers for the first time… “oh, these little orange ones look cute and not-too-hot”... “oh, this fat dark green one is probably hot, maybe I’ll just add a little of that”.  Three orange habeneros, half of a green pasilla pepper, and two small tastes later I was hurtin’!  LOL  I learned what hot pepper really means!  LOL  I had it all backwards.  I rubbed a tear from my eye and everything!  Ha ha ha!

Beware recipes people.  Get to know your ingredients before throwing them into a dish.  Especially beware a chili pepper recipe, make sure it is specific about which pepper and how much to add, and how to handle it without hurting yourself.  And don’t rub your eye after handling chili peppers!  grin  Fortunately, I’ve made a truce with the peppers now-a-days.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

An additional caveat, especially for males.  Be sure to wash your hands very thoroughly before if you’ve just been cutting up hot peppers and need to use the lavatory.  snake

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Poor Occam, that heat really gets around if your not careful.  smile

Food and sex, now there’s a good recipe.  smile  I’ve never used peppers before, hummm.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 05 March 2011 07:53 PM

An additional caveat, especially for males.  Be sure to wash your hands very thoroughly before if you’ve just been cutting up hot peppers and need to use the lavatory.  snake

Occam

I don’t know, you could go in for that old homeopathy ‘like cures like’, although I suppose to make the ‘hots’ REALLY powerful, you would have to dilute the heck out of it. Straight pepper would be MUCH too weak to do anything! tongue laugh

I accidentally touched my cheek after touching one of those little peppers as a child, and I still remember how much it burned..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 March 2011 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Total Posts:  4242
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 05 March 2011 09:14 PM

I accidentally touched my cheek after touching one of those little peppers as a child, and I still remember how much it burned..

Triggering memories their, although the funniest one I will keep to myself.  I’ll just advise keep your hot lips to yourself.
But, I worked at this BBQ place long ago where we smoked the meat ourselves and made a variety of sauces from scratch.  Meaning daily I’d handle literally pounds worth of various chilies, cleaning and chopping and handling - and for the first week to two, my hands would burned nonstop after work no matter how often I washed them.  Not painful but definitely hot, hot sensation, it was quite weird and interesting, but as with all such things my hands eventually acclimatized themselves.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

A mild recommendation.  Capsicain is an alkali and somewhat oil soluble so using an acid like vinegar or lemon juice will react and make it more water soluble and easier to rinse off or move out of your mouth.  The other is drinking a bit of milk helps the oil transfer into the fat globules.  For one’s hands it’s best to wash with detergent, rinse thoroughly, pour vinegar on your hands and rub it for a few minutes, rinse off then use either a lotion or just a bit of salad oil and rub it in.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Heh heh, It’s the miricle sauce alleviating all your health whoas.  LOL I love it, that’ll really get people flocking to their hot sauce!  (yeah, sure!) 

Oooh, habenero sauce. smile  It has a nice zesty tropical flavor at first, heat: 7, a good one, $2 for 3.3 OZ was below retail but a bit pricey.

[ Edited: 09 March 2011 03:05 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I like Sriracha sauce myself.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

9 of 20