10 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 16 March 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I’ll tell ya’ put a little Sabre on your meal… that’ll really put the pep back in peppers!  Ha ha ha LOL  I have just got to get a dispenser like that for carrying some hot sauce to restaurants.  LOL

That Louisiana hot sauce, that stuff looks like ketchup… I haven’t seen the ingredient list but peppers must be very low on the list because with a few drops of that I’d have to score it a zero for heat, it takes quite a hearty coating of that to heat up a meal.  That’s the novice hot sauce, for the timid and cautious.  grin

How hot do you rate the Sriracha sauce is, DM?  How is the flavor?  I don’t think I’ve tasted that one.

[ Edited: 16 March 2011 03:12 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 16 March 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26
jump_in_the_pit - 16 March 2011 03:04 PM

I’ll tell ya’ put a little Sabre on your meal… that’ll really put the pep back in peppers!  Ha ha ha LOL

That Louisiana hot sauce, that stuff looks like ketchup… I haven’t seen the ingredient list but peppers must be very low on the list because with a few drops of that I’d have to score it a zero for heat, it takes quite a hearty coating of that to heat up a meal.  That’s the novice hot sauce, for the timid and cautious.  grin

How hot do you rate the Sriracha sauce is, DM?  How is the flavor?  I don’t think I’ve tasted that one.

I don’t know if I could really rate the hotness, Jump.  I don’t eat enough spicy foods to compare.  I know if I put too much on my food it tastes like fire.  Of course, if you’re a big fan of spicy foods you may eat a whole bowl of it and yell, “What’s this?  Pansy sauce?  Give me HOT!!!”  Like my uncle does when you give him anything less than ghost chillies.

The taste is great though.  It’s a pretty basic sauce made of peppers, vinegar, salt, garlic and water.

EDIT
Fixed sentence abomination.
And once again.  I need to proofread more.

[ Edited: 16 March 2011 04:00 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 16 March 2011 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 16 March 2011 03:04 PM

I like this one as well. It’s been awhile since I had some, so I won’t attempt to describe the flavor. Like DM, it gets really hot to me if I add too much (for me I’d say ‘too much’ is more than 1/2 a teaspoon). I like spicy, but I don’t consider myself a ‘pepper head’ as I don’t chomp habanero’s like snack food. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 March 2011 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I saw a coupon in the Sunday paper for a bottle of Frank’s Hot Sauce for free.  Since that’s the one I felt was about as warm as my arm pit many years ago, I figured I’d pick one up (it’s free and I can’t turn that down smile  ) and see if it had changed.  Well, it’s now called “the original” and shows it as about the middle of their heat scale of their products.  I have to say that it’s improved.  It’s now easily as warm as my armpit when I have a fever.  And, it’s very, very salty.  It’s a great hot sauce for people who can’t stand heat.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 March 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

What do you think of food with toxins in it?

“Cassava plants can produce the poisonous substance cyanide as a way to fend off animals trying to eat them. Chewing the plant causes it to release an enzyme called linamarase, and linamarase, in turn, converts a compound in the plant called linamarin into cyanide.”

[ Edited: 16 March 2011 10:14 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2011 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 16 March 2011 06:34 PM

What do you think of food with toxics in it?

“Cassava plants can produce the poisonous substance cyanide as a way to fend off animals trying to eat them. Chewing the plant causes it to release an enzyme called linamarase, and linamarase, in turn, converts a compound in the plant called linamarin into cyanide.”

We eat LOTS of food that need to be treated to remove toxins. Olives, acorns, cashews. Every part of the tomato and potato plant is toxic except the fruit. Lots of fruit have toxic seeds like apples and almonds. I can’t remember the name of the Japanese fish delicacy which kills several people each year because of improper preparation. I know you need a license to be able to prepare it commercially. Then of course you have the famous durian, a delicious fruit that smells so bad, that you wonder who would have ever thought it edible.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 March 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 16 March 2011 07:25 PM

I can’t remember the name of the Japanese fish delicacy which kills several people each year because of improper preparation

I think that’s pufferfish…

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 March 2011 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Yeah, I quite moderate about society, engineering, and other serious matters.  But I’ve got my extremes when playing and exploring.  I’ve gotten addicted to junk food, lemons, hot sauce, because of extreme sugar, heat or whatever.  But they get taken to extremes when the wild wears off and becomes mild, and then a person pushes it out to be more wild, and I don’t push and push, I bail out first.

I like a good warmly heated meal, with a few suprise spikes of excitement!  And I’m not talking about temperature.  Weeeeeee!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2011 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

We eat LOTS of food that need to be treated to remove toxins. Olives, acorns, cashews. Every part of the tomato and potato plant is toxic except the fruit. Lots of fruit have toxic seeds like apples and almonds.

And so, with the popular movement in the USA to eat raw foods, some people taking that idea to extremes that include even unpasteurized milk, raw meat, and everything else, then don’t they deserve some warnings about their food being “treated to remove toxins”?  Doesn’t everyone agree?

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2011 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 17 March 2011 07:34 PM

We eat LOTS of food that need to be treated to remove toxins. Olives, acorns, cashews. Every part of the tomato and potato plant is toxic except the fruit. Lots of fruit have toxic seeds like apples and almonds.

And so, with the popular movement in the USA to eat raw foods, some people taking that idea to extremes that include even unpasteurized milk, raw meat, and everything else, then don’t they deserve some warnings about their food being “treated to remove toxins”?  Doesn’t everyone agree?

No, let the gene pool take care of them.. wink Also, these raw foodies don’t have intestines needed to digest the raw food and extract the nutrients to the same extent they would if it were cooked. They tend to be very thin, with little body fat. People like that do not reproduce well…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 March 2011 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 17 March 2011 09:21 PM

No, let the gene pool take care of them.. wink Also, these raw foodies don’t have intestines needed to digest the raw food and extract the nutrients to the same extent they would if it were cooked. They tend to be very thin, with little body fat. People like that do not reproduce well…

I’d gladly donate some of my body to them. tongue wink (If only I could figure out how…)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2011 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Heh heh, I’m the type of guy you want as a passenger in your car… I always carry a spare tire with me!  grin

I like raw food, but not to any extremes, the raw foods I’m interested in eating are just the tender fruits and veggies in a salad.  Once nutrition is destroyed by cooking or other harsh treatment, then one has no chance of absorbing it, so why destroy nutrition if you can avoid it?  smile

Hey, but nutrition is a confusing topic, most people think that the problem with white sugar is that it is high calorie, rather than low calorie with no nutrition.  How many people can tell a micro-nutrient from a macro-nutrient?  (Fat, carbohydrates, and protein are the macros, the rest of the vitamins and minerals are micro portions of the total calories in a meal.)  I certainly find nutrion to be challenging, isn’t it an educational issue?

“Hydrogen cyanide itself is not heat stable and does not survive boiling and cooking processes.  It can also be eliminated by fermentation.”  “Cassava is consumed largely as cassava flour, cassava chips, and tapioca pearls, all of which are a processed products with a long history of safe consumption.”  {From p 237 _The_food_safety_hazard_guidebook_ by Richard Lawley, Laurie Curtis, Judy Davis)

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 18 March 2011 04:36 PM

Heh heh, I’m the type of guy you want as a passenger in your car… I always carry a spare tire with me!  grin

I was recently diagnosed with Dunlop’s disease…

Where your belly dunlop over your belt!

My wife is convinced I have CRS:

Can’t remember shit

LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2011 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

On the topic of food.  Here are six words advertisers love (that don’t mean a damn thing).

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 March 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

He he he LOL  I love to see the bags of corn syrup that are labeled “Fat Free” now-a-days!  LOL  It so dumb that it looses its nefarious and deceptive qualities, and becomes just plain funny!

Twizzlers_TwizzlersTwists_Strawberry.png

It is funny, if you want low-fat fruit then buy candy!  If you want food that is ripened on the vine, then buy our tomatoes that are XXXXXXX on the vine!  “We must market in these ways because the customer demands it”, so its not the marketer’s fault.  0 grams of trans-fat on the nutritional panel really means 0.5 grams of a synthesize oil that can only get into food when a person adds it because it does not come from any food, but instead comes from a factory.  LOL

Two basic choices today when you want candy: 1) corn syrup, 2) chocolate flavored wax bars.  Corn syrup candies have nothing to do with fruit.  Why all those vivid colors and the bad messages?  You know… for the kids.  grin

[ Edited: 18 March 2011 08:56 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

10 of 20