12 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 24 March 2011 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I read somewhere that fat from wild animals is “healthier” than fat from domesticated animals. Supposedly, they figured this out when Eskimos traded hunting for consumption of meat from domesticated animals and their health begun to decline.

Posted: 24 March 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 24 March 2011 10:58 AM

I read somewhere that fat from wild animals is “healthier” than fat from domesticated animals. Supposedly, they figured this out when Eskimos traded hunting for consumption of meat from domesticated animals and their health begun to decline.

The Inuit also traded consumption of meat for consumption of a lot of other stuff they didn’t traditionally eat. THAT was the problem…not domestic vs wild. They also became more sedentary, like the rest of us.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 March 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I believe the food wild animals graze on has more unsaturated fat, while the high calorie feed given to domesticated animals to fatten them up fast, contains mostly saturated fat.  That may be another difference.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 March 2011 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 24 March 2011 04:14 PM

I believe the food wild animals graze on has more unsaturated fat, while the high calorie feed given to domesticated animals to fatten them up fast, contains mostly saturated fat.  That may be another difference.

Occam

Good point…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 March 2011 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Wild, domesticated.  Who cares?  They’re both delicious.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 March 2011 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Hand washing is good before handling food.  But what to do?  Hand soap, or anti-bacterial hand liquid detergent?  The hand soap is old tried and true, the new detergents are not proven to be as good as soap by the companies profiting from them and are popular.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 25 March 2011 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

For whatever it may be worth, I tend to avoid the anti-bacterials. The problem with this stuff is that it’s never 100% effective, and the nastier bugs which survive it tend to be the ones with a resistance to it. Eventually, you get Attila The Germ as a result and it’s a helluva lot tougher to kill.

The nice thing about plain soap and water is that it does the job well enough on it’s own, and with a thorough job, the small and nasties just get washed down the drain.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 March 2011 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 25 March 2011 11:32 PM

For whatever it may be worth, I tend to avoid the anti-bacterials. The problem with this stuff is that it’s never 100% effective, and the nastier bugs which survive it tend to be the ones with a resistance to it. Eventually, you get Attila The Germ as a result and it’s a helluva lot tougher to kill.

The nice thing about plain soap and water is that it does the job well enough on it’s own, and with a thorough job, the small and nasties just get washed down the drain.

I stay away from the anti-bacterials for the same reason. I never understood why 99.9% effective was a compelling selling point. I would wonder about the critters who ‘escaped’. No point in killing all of the 90lb weaklings when you leave Arnie around to complete the take down!

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2011 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

I stay away from the anti-bacterials for the same reason. I never understood why 99.9% effective was a compelling selling point.

It plays to the fears of homemakers who think that everything about the house has to by hypersterilized in order to be acceptably clean. It ignores the fact that if one lives in an environment which is too clean, that one tends to lose a natural immunity to infections.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 March 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Somewhat related…
I often feel better in the kitchen as a vegan because we don’t have the germ-laden meat touching everything.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 26 March 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
traveler - 26 March 2011 10:10 AM

Somewhat related…
I often feel better in the kitchen as a vegan because we don’t have the germ-laden meat touching everything.

Then that just leaves the germ laiden veggies, remember the infections spreading through spinach, green onions, etc. of the past few years? 

The vegan/meat diet debates are being chewed on in the Red Meat Is Good For You! thread, JFYI if you’d like.  smile

[ Edited: 26 March 2011 12:24 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 26 March 2011 12:21 PM
traveler - 26 March 2011 10:10 AM

Somewhat related…

Then that just leaves the germ laiden veggies, remember the infections spreading through spinach, green onions, etc. of the psat few years? 

The vegan/meat diet debates are being chewed on in the Red Meat Is Good For You! thread, JFYI if you’d like.  smile

Thanks Jump! Veggies definitely need to be washed, but one advantage I really like about being vegan is that I can lick the spoon when I make brownies (no eggs). BTW, the brownie recipe in the “Engine 2” vegan book is awesome. It can be seen HERE. I add lots of walnuts!

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Ener-G egg replacer, hummm, what’s that?  It looks like it is made with tapioca starchTapioca starch is dried processed cassava, and cassava produces a toxin when cut.  The toxin isn’t heat stable, I hear.  Beware about eating Ener-G egg replacer raw, it might have unheated toxins.  Boy the concoctions that some people will devise to avoid animal products, there are some odd concoctions out there. smile  Good luck, good day, and good eating Traveler, I love a veggie salad, one with everything.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2011 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 26 March 2011 01:00 PM

Ener-G egg replacer, hummm, what’s that?  It looks like it is made with tapioca starchTapioca starch is dried processed cassava, and cassava produces a toxin when cut.  The toxin isn’t heat stable, I hear.  Beware about eating Ener-G egg replacer raw, it might have unheated toxins.  Boy the concoctions that some people will devise to avoid animal products, there are some odd concoctions out there. smile  Good luck, good day, and good eating Traveler, I love a veggie salad, one with everything.

Not worried since konzo is “associated with several weeks of almost exclusive consumption of insufficiently processed bitter cassava.” Ener-G is processed and a full pan of brownies uses just a tablespoon. Good luck, good day, and good eating to you too. Great find, BTW!

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2011 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Unfortunately. problems such as what you get with e-coli contamination are not limited to meat or any other animal products. I remember a recall for example over spinach from Mexico and lettuce from the good old U.S. of A.

Signature 

12 of 20