16 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 05 October 2011 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Yum, cape gooseberries.  Amber colored, they look like a grapes, not as juicy and more mealy, tomato like, with a sticky juice, lots of tiny seeds like a raspberry.  Low tannin, some sweetness, a good amount of acid.  They were good.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 03 November 2011 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Michael Pollan is speaking out against “edible food-like substances [13:10]” and against the common people learning about [13:26] nutritional science.  What do you think?

Democracy Now!: Michael Pollan on “Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual”

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2011 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

Just finished the article on Pollan and it fits with the rise in obesity in America, particularly our area. I live next door to the State with the most obese people per capita. His information should be taught in every school in our area. while we have an abundance of fresh foods from local farms and truck gardens, most people gorge on the fat, salt and sugar. There are fast food stores on every corner, next to the church of the corner bar, Gary! The all prevaling problem is that fast food is cheap, easy to obtain and addictive; who wouldn’t want a Hardee’s burger with 100’s of fat grams. After all, sexy women prefer it (see commercial). After reading Fast Food Nation I became convinced that with “over a billion served” there must be a concerted effort to hook us on junk food and it worked! People turned away from the nutritious foods of our youth to empty calories. Who has time to cook anyway? Everyone’s working just to keep a roof over our heads, even the kids. It’s easier to order a pizza than to make one. we just dusted off our Euell Gibbons books for a closer look. There’s plenty of wild plants (and animals) here. Back to nature.

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 04 November 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Yes, I think that a food desert is a serious problem.  Each city neighborhood should have enough people to support a good fresh produce market.  But many neighborhoods in the city don’t have the good fresh produce market.  Where did the markets go?  How do we bring them back?  This issue should be discussed.

Yeah, Hardee’s management is really bad because they’ve embraced very fatty burgers, French fries, cheese, bacon, far more than any other fast food shops.  Although to their credit they were selling Angus burgers which seemed lower fat, not that that is a fix, but it was just a step in a good direction.

Beware the sausage, if its been through the sausage grinder then I call it sausage.  They start with scrap meat, grind it, and then make sausage links, burgers, cold cuts, strange textured chicken slurry molded into breast shapes, etc.  Everywhere I go for restaurant service they want to serve me sausage, almost never normal slice of meat, regardless of price or prestige, neither price nor prestige is the cause of the problem.  I agree with Pollan when he says we should cook at home to solve the problems, but I still don’t think that there’s anything wrong with wanting restaurant service occasionally.  The problem is in the management’s choices.  With finding a normal slice of meat being so difficult, good luck finding the fresh produce.  hmmm

Pollan says that people feel un-empowered, but really they do have choices in most situations, cooking at home is one of the choices.  But if you want to find the normal food at the supermarket or the restaurants, you really have to dig through lots of tempting junk to find the good stuff.  I really do wish everyone luck, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to spend the day away from home and eating while you are away.  It just that there are so many bad choices, that it seems you need to really research who is really serving the vegetables, fruits, normal slices of meat, seeds, nuts, beans, whole grains, herbs and spices, etc.  The salt/fat/sugar combinations is too easy, that flavor profile takes no talent to create, and its a problem.  That flavor profile turns human beings into bottomless pits, no matter how much of that flavor profile they eat they are never really satiated by it.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2011 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

My wife and I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) organization that is near us. You can see if one is available near you HERE

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 05 November 2011 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Pollan mentioned the Dirty Dozen Foods, foods with lots of pesticides in them after washing and peeling.

EWG - Dirty Dozen Foods

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Some years ago, as we walked out of a fish restaurant where we often had dinner, a woman with a clip board asked if we’d be willing to be a part of a focus group the following week.  I wasn’t available, but my wife was.  The standard menu selections included the fish, a roll including butter, a salad, and two options which could be vegetables, potatoes, or rice.  There were so many calories that we always took about half of our meals home for the next day.

When my wife came home from the focus group, she commented that one of the questions was “What changes would you suggest to improve our menu?”  She was appalled that of the twenty people there, eighteen of them said they should add more food to each of the selections.  Apparently, 4,000 calories weren’t enough - they wanted another couple of thousand of lard.    downer

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 November 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

VA:

There are fast food stores on every corner, next to the church of the corner bar, Gary!

Here in Buffalo we do have the fast food stores, but we seldom go from the Church to them,  most of the congregations serve excellent wings, beef on wick, deep fried onions, deep fired cheese sticks, etc. tongue wink

However I still prefer homemade.  My 93 year old mother and I canned applesause last week.  All homemade food is not necessarily health food however, my wife makes a couple hundred pounds of mostly chocolate cookies and candies for Xmas each year.  Traveler and his wife, may get some at the Dec Potluck.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 05 November 2011 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
garythehuman - 05 November 2011 02:18 PM

Traveler and his wife, may get some at the Dec Potluck.

snake  tongue laugh

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 05 November 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Buffalo wings.  rolleyes  Boney little chicken wings, with the fatty skin, and smothered in hot sauce, or honey-fatty sauce, or fatty-fat sauce, and the USA is really eating them up.  I think that they’re giving Buffalo, NY a bad name.  Yeah its real meat, but dark meat with extra fat!  Beware eaters.

[ Edited: 05 November 2011 06:37 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Apparently, 4,000 calories weren’t enough - they wanted another couple of thousand of lard.

Can’t say as this comes as much of a surprise to me. Shucks, when I go out, I want it to be a treat. I’m not counting calories.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 06 November 2011 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
jump_in_the_pit - 05 November 2011 06:32 PM

Buffalo wings.  rolleyes  Boney little chicken wings, with the fatty skin, and smothered in hot sauce, or honey-fatty sauce, or fatty-fat sauce, and the USA is really eating them up.  I think that they’re giving Buffalo, NY a bad name.  Yeah its real meat, but dark meat with extra fat!  Beware eaters.

Yeah, it’s pretty gross; however just about every bar in America has them.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 November 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Total Posts:  3256
Joined  2011-08-15

Here in Buffalo we do have the fast food stores, but we seldom go from the Church to them,  most of the congregations serve excellent wings, beef on wick, deep fried onions, deep fired cheese sticks, etc.

OMG Buffalo wings dipped in milk chocolate, I’m goin to hell fer sure!! cheese

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 December 2011 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I love fish.  Some of my favorites are salmon (more fatty, and so more like eating a land animal), and herring is similar but white.  Also good are flounder, catfish, red snapper, sardines, and more.  I hear that the little ones has less pollutants in them.  I ilke shellfish too scallions too, but its easy to over cook them.  I had a couple of crabs last month, they’re tasty.  And the crabs were fresh, they were still moving in the display case.  hmmm  That seemed a bit cruel, but I guess they have no good way to kill the little things.

I hear that the new fish called orange roughy was called slimehead and hasn’t been commercially fished until recently, its from New Zealand.  They renamed it in order to sell it.  I hear that they are so old that they can live longer than us.  That’s nasty the idea of eating a fish that might be twice your age.  If they don’t have time to mature and breed before being caught, then the fishermen could destroy the species, beware.

Sustainability is important, there must be government imposed limits so that industry doesn’t break nature’s limits.

“Biomass: Atlantic salmon stocks are currently at perilously low levels.
Overfishing: No - commercial fisheries are prohibited.”

Atlantic Salmon (Wild)

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2011 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26
jump_in_the_pit - 10 December 2011 01:57 PM

I love fish.  Some of my favorites are salmon (more fatty, and so more like eating a land animal), and herring is similar but white.  Also good are flounder, catfish, red snapper, sardines, and more.  I hear that the little ones has less pollutants in them.  I ilke shellfish too scallions too, but its easy to over cook them.  I had a couple of crabs last month, they’re tasty.  And the crabs were fresh, they were still moving in the display case.  hmmm  That seemed a bit cruel, but I guess they have no good way to kill the little things.

I hear that the new fish called orange roughy was called slimehead and hasn’t been commercially fished until recently, its from New Zealand.  They renamed it in order to sell it.  I hear that they are so old that they can live longer than us.  That’s nasty the idea of eating a fish that might be twice your age.  If they don’t have time to mature and breed before being caught, then the fishermen could destroy the species, beware.

Sustainability is important, there must be government imposed limits so that industry doesn’t break nature’s limits.

“Biomass: Atlantic salmon stocks are currently at perilously low levels.
Overfishing: No - commercial fisheries are prohibited.”

Atlantic Salmon (Wild)

Orange Roughy is the filet mignon of fish! It used to be a trash fish until people discovered its sweet non-fishy flavor. I used to buy @ 2.79 lb, now it is sold @ 9.00 lb. which hopefully will depress sales a little, giving the species a chance.

http://www.food.com/recipes/orange-roughy

[ Edited: 10 December 2011 03:22 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

16 of 20