17 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 07 September 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Organic food no more nutritious than conventionally grown food (Annals of Internal Medicine)

USDA: Organic Certification {Click Regulations -> Organic Foods Production Act of 1990 (OFPA) (PDF)}

Basically the Organic farming standard bans new farming technologies and techniques by banning synthetic fertilizers, synthetic pesticides, growth hormone injections, and using any feed treated with any of that; they want at least 60 days after crops are used as raw manure that have been applied to growing crops to consider them safe to eat (Sec. 2114(b)(2)(B)(iv); and there are more details but that’s the beginning of it.  There’s a record-keeping and inspection regime too.

But what will they use in place of the new synthetics, will that be safer or provide better nutrition, or produce enough crops per person-hour?

EPA: Organic Farming (unavailable for maintenance on Saturday, September 8, 2012) {Click “Related topics… Biopesticides” for some organic pesticide ideas)

What do you think, is Organic farming worth anything?

[ Edited: 07 September 2012 01:39 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 07 September 2012 12:28 PM

Organic food no more nutritious than conventionally grown food (Annals of Internal Medicine)

USDA: Organic Certification {Click Regulations -> Organic Foods Production Act of 1990 (OFPA) (PDF)}

Basically the Organic farming standard bans new farming technologies and techniques by banning synthetic fertilizers, synthetic pesticides, growth hormone injections, and using any feed treated with any of that; they want at least 60 days after crops as raw manure have been applied to growing crops to consider them safe to eat (Sec. 2114(b)(2)(B)(iv); and there are more details but that’s the beginning of it.  There’s a record-keeping and inspection regime too.

But what will they use in place of the new synthetics, will that be safer or provide better nutrition, or produce enough crops per person-hour?

EPA: Organic Farming (unavailable for maintenance on Saturday, September 8, 2012) {Click “Related topics… Biopesticides” for some organic pesticide ideas)

What do you think, is Organic farming worth anything?

While I dislike the treatment of animals in the big operations, I recall hearing that it pretty much eliminated trichinosis in pigs, since the pigs get it from rooting around the ground.

I’m of the mind that organic farming is, well, kind of a religion. People buy into it without much thought (I’m fairly confident the naturalistic fallacy and confirmation bias plays a big part*) and then preach it to others. <shrug> I certainly want safe, clean and nutritious food, but… I’m not sure smaller is the way to go.

BTW: What were my vegetables and meats made of before we had organic food?  grin

* That and it absolutely amazes me, how many people really don’t fathom correlation vs. causation.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
Joined  2009-07-17

Back to the topic…

I’m going to smoke some baby back ribs this weekend. One rack is going to be a Jalapeño Jerk seasoning with Pineapple glaze if I have my way! (It’s a recipe I’ve been meaning to try for far too long.)

I like to cook, but we’ve had so little time for it lately.  confused

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
Total Posts:  3212
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m going to smoke some baby back ribs this weekend. One rack is going to be a Jalapeño Jerk seasoning with Pineapple glaze if I have my way! (It’s a recipe I’ve been meaning to try for far too long.)

I like to cook, but we’ve had so little time for it lately. 

Damn Derek, I can smell them all the way over here in Ohio! and a pineapple glaze, sounds delicious. I’m not much of a cook but a hellava griller. We rotisseried a 20lb. Turkey one thanksgiving using charcoal and basted it with butter every few minutes for several hours. The flavor was incredible. Before grilling it we dry rubbed a mixture of spices, sage, salt, pepper, a little garlic onto the skin and in the cavity. The key is to slow roast and use a hood. It seals in the juices. People here now use the Cajun method and deep fry them. Not a big fan of this method.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 September 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 07 September 2012 04:39 PM

I like to cook, but we’ve had so little time for it lately. 

Damn Derek, I can smell them all the way over here in Ohio! and a pineapple glaze, sounds delicious. I’m not much of a cook but a hellava griller. We rotisseried a 20lb. Turkey one thanksgiving using charcoal and basted it with butter every few minutes for several hours. The flavor was incredible. Before grilling it we dry rubbed a mixture of spices, sage, salt, pepper, a little garlic onto the skin and in the cavity. The key is to slow roast and use a hood. It seals in the juices. People here now use the Cajun method and deep fry them. Not a big fan of this method.
Cap’t Jack

A fellow smoke-head! (Or whatever you want to call it. smile) I’m pretty obsessed with grilling and barbecuing. It’s my absolute favorite way to cook. (Provided the weather is cooperative of course. grin) One tasty hit (not my original recipe regardless of the simplicity) in our house was shrimp on a skewer (threaded length wise) a basil leaf and wrap it with a half strip of bacon. So simple, so tasty. (Well, it does have bacon…  cool smile)

I’ve got a turkey fryer for my birthday several years ago and still haven’t tried it. :p

Every time I offer to cook a turkey for the holidays my wife just growls at me and says: “That’s my meal.”  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Every time I offer to cook a turkey for the holidays my wife just growls at me and says: “That’s my meal.” 

Yeah, I get that too, especially now that the older generation doesn’t cook any more so the family piles in on us. I don’t mind it though as long as I get to watch the parade (Macy’s that is). Our son was a professional meat cutter and kitchen mrg. and he has given me tips on how to grill certain cuts of meat, also what kinds of spices to flavor it and how to marinate. The restaurant where he worked had a grill that used mesquite wood soaked in water to flavor that meat so we tried it at home. Delicious! Sorry guys but I’ll die an omnivore, I’m so ashamed; is there a meat lovers anonymous I can join? Hi, I’m Jack. Hello Jack!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 September 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 08 September 2012 04:40 PM

Every time I offer to cook a turkey for the holidays my wife just growls at me and says: “That’s my meal.” 

Yeah, I get that too, especially now that the older generation doesn’t cook any more so the family piles in on us. I don’t mind it though as long as I get to watch the parade (Macy’s that is). Our son was a professional meat cutter and kitchen mrg. and he has given me tips on how to grill certain cuts of meat, also what kinds of spices to flavor it and how to marinate. The restaurant where he worked had a grill that used mesquite wood soaked in water to flavor that meat so we tried it at home. Delicious! Sorry guys but I’ll die an omnivore, I’m so ashamed; is there a meat lovers anonymous I can join? Hi, I’m Jack. Hello Jack!

Cap’t Jack

I hear ya on the omnivorous front. smile

Hmm… I never thought of soaking the mesquite. I’ll have to try that. Presumably you only soak a small amount and toss that on burning coals?

I’d love to host holiday family dinners. Problem is: we have a tiny house.  tongue laugh

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Wow.  Three days after talk of delicious smoked meats and no vegetarians circling up to lecture and congratulate one another on their moral supremacy?  I’m shocked.  Maybe they’re all just busy.  cheese

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 11 September 2012 09:03 AM

Wow.  Three days after talk of delicious smoked meats and no vegetarians circling up to lecture and congratulate one another on their moral supremacy?  I’m shocked.  Maybe they’re all just busy.  cheese

Well, although a vegetarian, I just threw our Second Annul Back-To-School Rib Festival at my house during the Labour Day weekend, so I thought I should keep quiet. We had seven families competing for the best ribs: the women prepared them, the men cooked them and the kids were the judges. My family lost, but it was a lot of fun.

208i5wo.jpg

2v2xnwm.jpg

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Mmmm.  Dammit.  Now I want some ribs.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

Sexellent!

What a great looking cookout.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

My god that looks deliciousssssssss!  You must have a will of iron not to even smell those ribs. barbecued with or without a special sauce I love em, do ya hear loooove em!  The city near us has an annual ribfest with competitors from Va. to Ga., serious pros with some righteous ribs and chicken. But alas, it’s only once a year and even though mine is pretty good, I can’t hold a candle to these guys. Right now it’s chili fest time and once again the pros are drawn in with the hot stuff, plus beer.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 253 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

I like eating coz im not of a chef but i’d like to learn how so i can live everywhere without thinking of buying to restaurants.

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 254 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, the veggies were pretty tasty (the yellow stuff in my photo). And they had no bones, blood, veins and other indefinable yucky things in them.  smirk

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 255 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, the veggies were pretty tasty (the yellow stuff in my photo). And they had no bones, blood, veins and other indefinable yucky things in them. 

That sounds familiar;  this is my wife’s argument as well. Not to say it’s not valid, but it doesn’t bother me at all. Hmmm, reminds me of a scene from the Arlo Gutherie movie. At least the veggies were grilled!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

17 of 20