18 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 12 September 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 256 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

Congrats on the party, George!! So what were the flavors (ingredients I guess since you didn’t taste them) of the winning ribs?

Yeah, the blood, bone, et al. just doesn’t bother me. <shrug> I’ll have to thank George for leaving more meat for me. LOL

Jack, the jalapeno jerk baby backs with pineapple barbecue sauce* were decent. However, I had to indirect grill them rather than smoke them low-n-slow, so they weren’t as tender and juicy as I would have liked. And even though I had three big hunks of pecan in there with them, there wasn’t a smoke ring. (Normally I use applewood, but I gave my son the choice and he choose pecan. Good flavor, not quite as sweet as the applewood.)

Take care,

Derek

* From the Barbecue Bible** by Steven Reichlen.
** The only ‘bible’ I read. cool smile

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 257 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

No idea, Derek. My knowledge in cooking goes only as far as knowing how to make a tea. I make a pretty good tea, though.  grin

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 258 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

We indirect grill them too Derek. After washing the ribs we boil them until tender, then marinate them in a spicy sauce and put them on the grill. Yeah, applewood is best if you can get it. It really favors the meat well but I like hickory. Also great for smoking the meat. Do you make your own sauce?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 September 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 259 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
George - 12 September 2012 11:56 AM

Well, the veggies were pretty tasty (the yellow stuff in my photo). And they had no bones, blood, veins and other indefinable yucky things in them.  smirk

Those “indefinable yucky things” have many culinary uses in different cultures around the world.  But mostly in the hands of poor people. :D

Anyway, I like all of it.  Meat, veggies, fruit, cheese, fishies, all of it.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 260 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 12 September 2012 05:26 PM

Do you make your own sauce?
Cap’t Jack

Yes, we do. My 6 year old daughter loves to help me make it too. Or more perhaps more accurately, she allows me to help her. LOL

BTW: Why do you boil them?

DM, I don’t eat the truly ‘weird’ parts myself. No organ meats for me!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 261 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 12 September 2012 04:21 PM

No idea, Derek. My knowledge in cooking goes only as far as knowing how to make a tea. I make a pretty good tea, though.  grin

Well, then… We’ll ask you to bring the tea to the barbecue.  grin

That reminds me, some teas can be used as the ‘smoking agent’ to flavor foods. I recall having tea smoked salmon a while back that was delicious.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 262 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
harry canyon - 13 September 2012 10:25 AM

I don’t either really.  Though if it was prepared right and tasted good, I’d eat it.  At the very least I’d try it.

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 263 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 10:27 AM
harry canyon - 13 September 2012 10:25 AM

I don’t either really.  Though if it was prepared right and tasted good, I’d eat it.  At the very least I’d try it.

I *might* be willing to try them if made by a well trained chef for example. But I think there’s a reason it’s called ‘offal’.  wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 264 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
harry canyon - 13 September 2012 10:30 AM

I *might* be willing to try them if made by a well trained chef for example. But I think there’s a reason it’s called ‘offal’.  wink

Sissy.  wink

What’s funny about offal is how arbitrary we are with it.  Some things people vomit at the thought of even touching it (even if it was eaten regularly by their ancestors or in other countries) but other parts (or even the same) are fine as “delicacies” or if prepared a certain way or with certain other foods.  Social norms fascinate me.

EDIT
Removed and unnecessary comma.

[ Edited: 13 September 2012 10:43 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 265 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

What do you think hot dogs and sausages are made of?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 266 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 10:38 AM
harry canyon - 13 September 2012 10:30 AM

Sissy.  wink

I’ve had tripe and liver before, so not as much as you think.  tongue wink Then again, I’m fortunate enough that I don’t need to be brave when it comes to my food choices. LOL

Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 10:38 AM

What’s funny about offal, is how arbitrary we are with it.  Some things people vomit at the thought of even touching it (even if it was eaten regularly by their ancestors or in other countries) but other parts (or even the same) are fine as “delicacies” or if prepared a certain way or with certain other foods.  Social norms fascinate me.

Agreed. It’s very much culture and what we are ‘used to’. Heck, think how much of the population of this planet doesn’t eat pork or beef at all. Although that’s generally for religious reasons, but religious reasons are cultural as well in my opinion.

Honestly, I’d try foie gras. I think… However, if I did, I’d probably feel guilty about it considering what they do to the poor goose to ‘make it’.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 267 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 13 September 2012 10:41 AM

Occam

Ssshhh… Don’t attack my cognitive dissonance shield. grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 268 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, we do. My 6 year old daughter loves to help me make it too. Or more perhaps more accurately, she allows me to help her.

BTW: Why do you boil them?

Boiling helps to break down the meat and make it tender before grilling. Afterwards the meat literally falls off the bone. I also use the beef rib bones for a percussion instrument. Just dry them and soak em in Clorox. Great for Irish music! As to organ meat, Occam is right about sausage and hotdogs. All beef also means tripe, tongue (delicious BTW), lips etc. but as you guys said, it’s cultural. Ever had ramps and chittlins?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 September 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 269 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Occam. - 13 September 2012 10:41 AM

Occam

The hamburgers and cold cuts too.  And some low priced restaurants are selling something that looks like it was molded vaguely into the shape of a chicken breast.  If its been through the sausage grinder, I just call it sausage.  Once I had a chicken “breast” that I could break square pieces from with just a chopstick.  big surprise  Watch out for low priced chicken “breasts”.  There’s nothing wrong with the grinder, its just that manufacturers are using it to hide all the fat and other junk that they put in there.  Beware, humanists.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 September 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 270 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

What do you think of the arsenic in rice?

“What is the FDA recommending to consumers about eating rice and rice products?

“Based on the available data and scientific literature the FDA is not recommending changes by consumers regarding their consumption of rice and rice products. Our advice for consumers is to eat a balanced diet including a wide variety of grains, not only for good nutrition but also to minimize any potential consequences from consuming any one particular food.”

Arsenic in Rice: New Report Finds ‘Worrisome Levels’

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

18 of 20