19 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 22 September 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I eat a variety of different rices. Black rice (forbidden rice), brown rices, red rices and various white rices. Is the arsenic in all types of rice, or just the white rices. We do eat a lot of rice :(

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 22 September 2012 12:43 AM

I eat a variety of different rices. Black rice (forbidden rice), brown rices, red rices and various white rices. Is the arsenic in all types of rice, or just the white rices. We do eat a lot of rice :(

The article says: “... Surprisingly, when it comes to arsenic the less nutritional white rice is better than brown. The carcinogen is most prevalent in the outer layers of the grain and white rice is polished removing some of those layers.

Consumer Reports suggests rice eaters limit themselves to one serving a day, especially for babies. Rinsing and then boiling rice in a 6 to 1 water ratio removes about 30 percent of its arsenic…”

I am leery of such reports. If I ate rice every day I would probably cut back.  But next week or next year, we could hear a report telling of the dangers of whatever food we used to replace the rice.  Food.  You can’t live without it, and now, perhaps, you can’t live with it.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
Total Posts:  5175
Joined  2010-06-16

Asanta, since you’ve been eating quite a bit of rice for a while, and since you have better access to medical labs, you may want to have your blood tested for arsenic level.  That should show whether or not you have anything to worry about.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 September 2012 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Thanks Occam, good advice. I think I’ll do that.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

This has become a cooking forum..

Posted: 23 September 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Jennifer Stallone - 23 September 2012 08:24 AM

This has become a cooking forum..

What? Skeptics/freethinkers, etc. can’t cook? wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 24 September 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

Thats not what i mean.. I even like it..

Posted: 24 September 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

So now we need a remake of “Arsenic and Old Lace” with the old women serving rice instead of coffee laced arsenic!  tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04

What if they tell us that “Fried Green Tomatoes” are a source of mercury poisoning ... oh well, I’ll stick to the barbecue anyway.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 24 September 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m ready to run up the stairs waving my sword, yelling “CHARGE”, and later dig canal locks in the basement, that is, if you’re willing to serve elderberry wine, Asanta. LOL

Occam

[ Edited: 24 September 2012 07:46 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 24 September 2012 07:43 PM

I’m ready to run up the stairs waving my sword, yelling “CHARGE”, and later dig canal locks in the basement, that is, if you’re willing to serve elderberry wine, Asanta. LOL

Occam

Lol! I’d forgotten about the elderberry wine! It’s a deal!! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Jennifer Stallone - 24 September 2012 09:56 AM

Thats not what i mean.. I even like it..

I was teasing. smile

Okay back on topic.

Last weekend we tried a recipe for Bahamian grilled chicken. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes in lime juice then drain. Pour in the marinade (IIRC, thinly sliced onions, garlic, paprika, sliced jalapeños*, canola oil, paprika, salt and white pepper). Marinate for at least 15 minutes (we ended up with about three hours). Grill and eat. smile

It was interesting, but not a taste that worked for us. Oh well. Time to try another recipe.

* Recipe calls for habaneros, but I didn’t want to be the only one eating. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 25 September 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You might substitute poblanos for the habaneros or even jalapeños.  They still have a bit of heat, but also have a good, strong pepper flavor.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 25 September 2012 02:21 PM

You might substitute poblanos for the habaneros or even jalapeños.  They still have a bit of heat, but also have a good, strong pepper flavor.

Occam

Umm… I did use jalapeños. smile Probably could have used more though.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

There is a new book about cooking.  It seem like Nathan Myhrvold did a good job working on it.  It seems like the authors did a scientific and comprehensive job about studying cooking.  There are some links to interviews and goodies about the book (5 volumes, and there is a condensed version too).  What do you think?

Modernist Cuisine: The art and science of cooking

xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

19 of 20