20 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 25 August 2013 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2240
Joined  2012-10-27
George - 22 October 2010 09:19 AM

I have never cooked anything in my life…

How about someone’s goose? smile

Lois

Posted: 25 August 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Total Posts:  2240
Joined  2012-10-27
Jennifer Stallone - 23 September 2012 08:24 AM

This has become a cooking forum..

A cooking forum is a welcome relief from the many mudslinging forums we’ve all been subject to. We should be thankful for small mercies.

Lois

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

My wife’s arm is in a sling -had her wrist reconstructed last week, so I am making chicken soup (it’s good for the soul ohh ) today.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 August 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

Chicken soup is such a simple yet tasty meal. grin

I’ll definitely be making some when the weather cools.

I’m a big fan soups, stews and chilis. Unfortunately, my wife and children aren’t.  tongue laugh So when I make a big batch I freeze a lot of individual portions.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 18 November 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

CNN: Put down that doughnut: FDA takes on trans fats

The FDA is effectively banning trans fats, it seems.  Mayor Michael Bloomburg already made fast food shops do that in NYC.

Now I’m spilling the beans.  The food processing factories don’t want you to know, but I’m telling the truth about food.  Normal food is: fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, fresh/canned/dried beans, nuts, seeds, lean meat, lean dairy, herbs and spices.  That’s the big secret!  LOL  The other thing is that the USDA grades all the food.  Grade A eggs are a low grade for example, AA is higher, and AAA is higher, for example.  All the food is graded, but there are a variety of ways that the USDA grades the food.

So, by design the food processing factories, and the chemists, start with very low grade food, when the make their food products and food additives.  That’s why processed food is so cheap, even cheaper than normal fresh food, it is cheap by design.  THAT is what they do to convince people to buy the processed food.  Convenient, easy to grab and eat, and cheap food is making people obese.  downer  Its bad stuff.

Are the chemical additives worth eating for even one single reason at all?  If you see ingredients that you can’t pronounce and don’t appetise you, then why buy that food?  Recipes are supposed to be appetizing, of course! smile

Its easy to prepare normal food, simple recipes are the best, don’t get lost by getting obsessed with complex recipes, all the great chefs eat simple recipes at home anyway!  So, I like to use the microwave when I cook, it has the great advantages of: speed, convenient automatic timing, energy efficient, even cooking (just arrange your food into the shape of a hollow/flat ring, and perhaps stir it a few times during cooking), it PRESERVES THE NATURAL FLAVOR OF THE FOOD SO YOU DON’T NEED TO ADD FLAVORS FROM FAT NOR FROM SPICES, and there is hardly any risk of those nasty dark acrylamides!  You need a cutting board, a good rigid vegetable knife, and a rough cheap sharpening stone, so you can chop up some salads.  You can put anything in a salad, veggies, fruit, meat, beans, or anything!  grin  They don’t even have to be green, they can be almost any color!

I like beans, they’re high fiber, low fat, and high protein, and between beans and insects that’s how most people get their protein anyway.  If you’re not used to beans then just start with the nutty more mild flavored ones: garbanzo beans (chic peas), black-eyed peas, navy beans, cranberry (roman) beans.  Save the black and red kidney beans for later because they are more robust flavored.  smile

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the squash this season, the buttercup (not to be confused with neither the butternut which is spelled similarly, nor the kabocha which has faint speckled pale vertical stripes and otherwise looks the same, buttercup looks like a short little dark green pumpkin), and the carnival squashes (confetti colors of beige/yellow/orange/etc.), they’re as sweet as an apple!  Cooking squash is pretty easy, I just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and microwave a half, with the cut side down, for twenty to thirty minutes, depending on the size.  Then let it cool, scoop out the meat, and eat.  Full flavored food is the best.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 19 November 2013 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Made a homemade chicken soup tonight to celebrate the arrival of autumn weather. It was delicious if I say so myself! smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 November 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 19 November 2013 01:05 AM

Made a homemade chicken soup tonight to celebrate the arrival of autumn weather. It was delicious if I say so myself! smile

Sounds yummy!

(I know what you mean about the autumn weather. It’s cold here in the SF Bay Area. I mean sheesh, it’s down in the mid’50’s!  cheese  )

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

Recently I mixed together a 1/4 pound of butter, a cup of olive oil, about eight cloves of garlic, a cup of parmesan cheese, some sesame seeds, assorted spices, a couple of shots of tabasco then spread it on a slice of Italian bread and ran it through the toaster oven.  When I bit into it, it had the taste of lard and bread.  No flavor at all.  Then I recalled that I had been annoyed because the local Indian restaruant had started making their food so bland.  I finally realized that I had been using a nose spray nightly to open up my breathing.  I stopped and my taste came back in about a week.  Choices???

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

20 of 20