5 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 19 January 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 18 January 2011 09:36 PM

Couscous is just wheat pasta, that’s not really a different grain, though many people think that it is rice.  I’ve only read the ingredients, I haven’t bothered with it.

Couscous and farro are both forms of wheat. Couscous makes for a lovely and tasty salad though, and I use farro in some recipes where I might use a rice for increased heartiness.
I do explore the historic trees of fruits and vegetables, mostly because I have so many allergies. I am most likely to cross sensitize to foods closely related to foods I am already allergic to. This has, in fact occurred many times. I love melons, so I was willing to take the risk for much longer than I have for other foods. It started out with an allergy to honeydew, but then spread out to include the entire family of melons over 20 years. It is now too dangerous for me to even taste them. I was told to avoid squashes and cucumbers too, as my initial reactions were getting more and more serious. An allergist finally told me that I could eat squashes as long as they are cooked. Cooking (in this case) destroys the protein I am reacting to. I am also very allergic to barley, cooked or otherwise. It is difficult to avoid since it is put into everything, especially breads. I usually make my own now. I avoid nuts, because I am allergic to cashews, and you can cross sensitize to other nuts. Even though no nuts are related to another, they have proteins in common that make them nuts. I am allergic to sunflower seeds, which I love, but I can tolerate the oils—luckily for me, because it is everywhere. These are all medically documented actual allergies—and I have many more that I deal with! sick I have been allergic/asthmatic for most of my life.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 January 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I have no idea about the cross sensitization, but I’d guess that some things called nuts are so far removed from the others, genetically that they may not cause a problem.  Almonds, walnuts, pecans, and hazel nuts seem to be more closely related than say, peanuts, and possibly cashews.  I seem to recall that they grow as a thing at the bottom of an apple-like fruit.  You may want to do some research on thsse, Asanta.  You may be able to enjoy some foods that you’ve been avoiding.

Geez, one of the ladies at the Sunday Demo multi-club potluck just sent me a chain letter for recipes.  I wouldn’t mind sending one of mine, but the letter says, keep it simple.  WHAT?  I don’t think I’ve ever developed a recipe that had fewer than twenty ingredients, some found only in Indian, Chinese, or health food markets.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

I have a delicious Dutch recipe named Hutspot, consisting of just three ingredients +2 spices (Beef sausage optional).

Dice equal amounts of potatoes, carrots, onions, into large pan, cover with water, add bayleaf and 2 whole cloves.
Boil carrots and onions and spices until fairly done, add potatoes and boil until potatoes done.
(if also using sausage, place sausage in the mixture and allow to simmer until done)
When all is done, drain water completely and let steam dry for several minutes, remove spices.
With potato masher, mash all until texture is smooth. Add milk, butter or margerine as desired.
(If using the beef sausage to add a little heartiness, cut into small pieces and also mash into the mixture).
The result will be an attractive orange mash with a flavor and taste which is unique and delicious.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a lump of butter on top.

An inexpensive simple winter dish which will delight all who like those three vegetables.

[ Edited: 19 January 2011 07:41 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 19 January 2011 06:34 PM

I have no idea about the cross sensitization, but I’d guess that some things called nuts are so far removed from the others, genetically that they may not cause a problem.  Almonds, walnuts, pecans, and hazel nuts seem to be more closely related than say, peanuts, and possibly cashews.  I seem to recall that they grow as a thing at the bottom of an apple-like fruit.  You may want to do some research on these, Asanta.  You may be able to enjoy some foods that you’ve been avoiding.

I do eat nuts, since, as you pointed out, cashews are far removed from the others. My son is deathly allergic to brazil nuts and hazel nuts. Luckily, he hasn’t been rushed to the hospital (by ambulance)for 20 years, but he remembers the last time clearly enough to be very, very cautious! Believe me, I have researched and researched, since, with the exception of barley, and lamb, most of my allergies are to favorite foods… downer I used to bring cantaloupes to work to ‘share’ and take benadryl before partaking. I figured that if I stopped breathing, at least I was in an ICU where I could be immediately treated….that didn’t go over too well with my co-workers, and anyway, the benadryl became less effective, and didn’t make the pleasure of the taste of cantaloupe worth the discomfort anymore! tongue laugh

Geez, one of the ladies at the Sunday Demo multi-club potluck just sent me a chain letter for recipes.  I wouldn’t mind sending one of mine, but the letter says, keep it simple.  WHAT?  I don’t think I’ve ever developed a recipe that had fewer than twenty ingredients, some found only in Indian, Chinese, or health food markets.  smile

Occam

LOL
edited to correct quotation symbols

[ Edited: 19 January 2011 07:50 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, I never thought of that.  I’m only allergic to penicillin, but I’ll never worry about it as long as I’m in a hospital when they give me the shot.  LOL

Interesting about your reaction to cantaloupe.  How about honeydews, watermelon, and cucumber, all of which are in the same family?

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2011 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 19 January 2011 07:54 PM

Hey, I never thought of that.  I’m only allergic to penicillin, but I’ll never worry about it as long as I’m in a hospital when they give me the shot.  LOL

Interesting about your reaction to cantaloupe.  How about honeydews, watermelon, and cucumber, all of which are in the same family?

Occam

I can’t eat any of them. There was a wonderful neighborhood grocer down the street from me who thought it was absolutely criminal that I had a melon allergy. He would order all sorts of rare exotic melons to try. After about the 4th or 5th melon, I convinced him that there was nothing he could find that I wouldn’t react to (I get breathing difficulties and the worst sore throat in the world). Watermelon is a little more distantly related to the others, and it took an additional 5 years for me to react to that one. It was the last melon I could eat, and alas, I can never eat any of them again…
While it is an unusual allergy in the US, I was told it was a common on in some parts of Mediterranean countries.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I like melons, but haven’t explored many.  The cantelop started giving me hayfever symptoms a few years ago.  I avoid them now.  Apples are a staple for me, but some varieties give me a migrane headache, so I just have to be picky to enjoy them.  smile

I’m sad to hear about your allergy troubles asanta.  That sounds pretty irritating.  At least you have rice.  grin

George, did you ever read Pollan, did he explain any of the genetics or taxonomy?  Did he do some research for the book?  Which book?

[ Edited: 20 January 2011 11:51 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
jump_in_the_pit - 20 January 2011 11:44 AM

George, did you ever read Pollan, did he explain any of the genetics or taxonomy?  Did he do some research for the book?  Which book?

No, I haven’t read any of his books. The only Pollan’s book on my list is the one I linked to earlier. Unfortunately, it’s being pushed to the bottom as I keep adding books which are currently of a greater interest to me. I hope I’ll get to it one day.

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

George, I’ve done the same thing to Pollan.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 19 January 2011 06:34 PM

<snip>
Almonds, walnuts, pecans, and hazel nuts seem to be more closely related than say, peanuts, and possibly cashews.  I seem to recall that they grow as a thing at the bottom of an apple-like fruit.
<snip>

Warning pedantic statement approaching!! Peanuts are not actually nuts, they’re legumes. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 20 January 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I know that, but they have a protein similar to other nuts. People allergic to peanuts often cross sensitize to what we refer to as ‘tree nuts’.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 20 January 2011 03:40 PM

I know that, but they have a protein similar to other nuts.

Now that I didn’t know. grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 20 January 2011 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah,I knew they were legumes, too, but in a rare moment, I didn’t want to be pedantic.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
harry canyon - 20 January 2011 04:36 PM
asanta - 20 January 2011 03:40 PM

I know that, but they have a protein similar to other nuts.

Now that I didn’t know. grin

Take care,

Derek

For some funny reason, even people who are very allergic to peanuts, can usually eat the other legumes.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2011 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I’ve had fresh beans myself, they are good!  They are like the canned beans, tender and colorful, but more fully flavored with much less salt.  Black-eyed peas, garbonzos, black beans, and my favorite, lima.  I still want to try fresh grains, rather than dried.  smile

Signature 

5 of 20