6 of 20
Do you like to eat and cook?
Posted: 24 January 2011 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11

When I was a teen, we lived in a neighborhood which used to be orchard. Everyone had fruit trees in their back yard. Even in our major metropolitan area, we purchased little tree fruit from the grocer during the summer. We traded fruits among each other. Fresh apricots are amazing, we had friends with peaches, pears, plums, apples, lemons, almonds, walnuts and avocados all within a short walking distance. I had a garden in the back yard, because I liked to grow things, and grew fresh veggies for the table. I have plum, apricot, apple, orange, lime, kaffir lime and pomegranate trees in my yard now, but I can’t grow veggies because my mischievous dog would destroy them. Fortunately, my next door neighbor does, and shares. I give them fruit, they give me veggies. As it is, my dog loves plums, and if he can’t reach any on the tree, and has eaten everything on the ground, he barks at the tree to ‘force’ it to drop more. He also ‘fights’, to my dismay, with the skunks who like the plums too…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 January 2011 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2005-07-20

That’s what I’d like, local, ripe, fresh, foods.  I could pass on the goofy dog barking at trees, heh heh heh, sounds cute though.  smile

Signature 

bicycles: less mass, no fuel, lower speed, more beautiful, more quiet, lower cost, less wear-and-tear on the roads, more social because you can talk to people beside you, low-impact heart healthy exercise, easy parking… they are not perfect, but are they better than cars?.

Posted: 25 January 2011 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 25 January 2011 05:58 PM

That’s what I’d like, local, ripe, fresh, foods.  I could pass on the goofy dog barking at trees, heh heh heh, sounds cute though.  smile

Darn it, I was going to offer him to you in my next post!!  LOL He lives up to his name of Puck! tongue laugh Between the dog and my handicapped brother, life is always ‘interesting’! And now, thanks to Occam’s suggestions, we always have deskunking supplies in the house for emergencies! sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 January 2011 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I enjoyed your dog story, Asanta.  We got the samoyed because our neighbor wasn’t brignt enough to prevent him from sneaking out and for eating each avocado as it dropped to the ground and their tree only had two each year.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 January 2011 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 25 January 2011 10:48 PM

I enjoyed your dog story, Asanta.  We got the samoyed because our neighbor wasn’t brignt enough to prevent him from sneaking out and for eating each avocado as it dropped to the ground and their tree only had two each year.

Occam

LOL! I hope you hid YOUR avocados!  Or at least used them as training tools! Luckily, my neighbors have also become attached to my crazy dog!

Signature 

Posted: 26 January 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

We didn’t have an avocado tree, but I wondered why, when we mixed table scraps in his food, I ‘d find the carrots on the side of the dish.  I watched and as soon as the food was put down he’d sniff, raise his lips (almost in disgust) and using his canine teeth as tweezers, would carefully lift each piece of carrot and drop it outside of the dish.  Apparently he didn’t like carrots and was damned if he was going to eat them. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 January 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

The truth about eating local, means that your eating from your neighbor’s yard.  Once I went to the farmer’s market for some vaggies, I got them home and put them away… then… there was a little tiny visitor... in my refrigerator…  hmmm ... from the garden.  Yep, those veggies are fresh!  smile  I wonder what else is going on in the garden?

Signature 

bicycles: less mass, no fuel, lower speed, more beautiful, more quiet, lower cost, less wear-and-tear on the roads, more social because you can talk to people beside you, low-impact heart healthy exercise, easy parking… they are not perfect, but are they better than cars?.

Posted: 29 January 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-01-01

Last night my buddy was talking about how his Mom would make an Irish dish, some kind of layered affair with peas in it. He said the dog would woof the food down really quickly,, but if you went over to look in the dish you would see all the peas sitting there shiny clean… It would make for a great video..

eat the rich

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  1809
Joined  2007-10-22

Last night my buddy was talking about how his Mom would make an Irish dish, some kind of layered affair with peas in it. He said the dog would woof the food down really quickly,, but if you went over to look in the dish you would see all the peas sitting there shiny clean… It would make for a great video..

I feel the same way about peas

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 29 January 2011 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-01

When I lived in Oaxaca, the house I rented had a fence made from avocado trees,,, Here an avocado is over $1 each? Guava and orange trees looked to be growing wild.  Perfect weather,, made you wonder at the lack of flies… In retrospect I’ll bet the chickens controled the fly problem..

Posted: 31 January 2011 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

The meat is getting so weird… every time I’m served some meat, its all been through the sausage grinder!  I don’t know what’s in that grind, but it sure doesn’t taste like chicken breast or lean beef to me.  Chicken breast has a particular texture, it’s supposed to shred when you bite into it.  smile  It seems like its getting hard to find an actual slice of meat, unless I prepare it myself.

[ Edited: 31 January 2011 09:04 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2011 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-01

I used to think eating spicey sausage hot dogs (particularly Loaf n Jug’s 2 for $2) was good karma,, if you going to kill an animal and eat it, eat all of it. But it (or the nacho cheese sauce that I put on it) are making me sick…

I guess ‘karma’ is a rediculous proposition to begin with,,, did you know that karma travels to the moon and then back here before it affects?

Posted: 17 February 2011 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Red rice… colorful, a nice tomato color.  Couscous… still says semolina (that is wheat, Sicilian style which makes good pasta and bread) pasta on the boxes that I see, hummm. 

Mostly now-a-days I don’t cook, eating raw veggies, and fruits.  I cook meat, eggs, beans, tough veggies like squash and wax turnips, etc.  I prefer roasted nuts to raw, more crunch and flavor that way.  So in the end I have a big salad or two each day, with beans or meat on top for protein.  It is great for exploring the veggie varieties, not all pairings work.  But when the veggies are paired well, then the salad is delicious, with some olive/canola/peanut fat and red/balsamic vinegar.  grin  Just a drizzle of fat, maybe a tablespoon or two.  If its big and has fat, then it is satisfying, with bread even more so.  I eat it without adding fat sometimes too.

I just seasoned a new mortar and pestle, green marble with lovely intense colors, I used lemon rinds and reconstituted garbanzo beans.  I have some dried cinnamon and black peppercorns ready to go in!  grin

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2011 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 17 February 2011 06:31 PM

I just seasoned a new mortar and pestle, green marble with lovely intense colors, I used lemon rinds and reconstituted garbanzo beans.  I have some dried cinnamon and black peppercorns ready to go in!  grin

Interesting… I had not heard of seasoning a mortar and pestle. What are the pros and cons?

I repurposed my coffee grinder as a spice grinder. Works great when I need large quantities of fresh ground pepper or whatever. I also use it on dried herbs which are for rubs and such, so that there aren’t big pieces of leafy material that will burn on the grill.

I want to try toasting whole spices sometime. (I see Bal Arneson in the show Spice Goddess doing that all the time.)

Dang… Now I’m getting hungry. Think I might make some soup and possibly some corn bread muffins.*

Take care,

Derek

* Northern style in case you were curious. smile

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 February 2011 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Oh, the stone mortar and pestle was releasing some stone dust into the grind, a fine powder of marble.  This isn’t food, so I ground some garbanzo’s and lemon (can you say hummus?), the point being to break-in the stone, remove all the loose powder.  The inner cuts are rough cuts, not polished the way that the outside of the stone is.  Supposedly marble is a more porous stone and will absorb some flavor from whatever is in it, later passing them back to the food, so supposedly one should choose to “season” a new stone with their favorite flavors.  The chemists call that contamination when they grind, the chefs call that developing flavor.  smile  Anyway, no more stone dust, time to eat!

The pro: no stone in your teeth, you keep your enamel.  The con of seasoning a stone… what? Could green marble be nutritious and not poisonous when eaten?  I doubt it.

I looked at the motorized options, some bigger food processors, medium hand/counter-top blenders, little coffee/spice grinders… eh, I’m an electrical engineer and am not enamored by electricity, I keep it real… I’ll just be grinding a little spice for a meal, not mounds of hummus and coffee for parties.  Why buy ugly white/black electronics when gorgeous green marble is available for under $20.  smile 

Uggh say: stone-aged technology grind spices… GOOOOOD!  And why not burn a few calories before eating a few thousand!  LOL  Hey if it dosen’t work as a grinder, then it’ll make a great door stop!

[ Edited: 18 February 2011 08:52 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

6 of 20