8 of 10
Good Reference: Annotated Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon
Posted: 14 December 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Gnostikosis - 14 December 2010 09:44 AM
Write4U - 13 December 2010 02:47 PM

Then we agree that such a god would be useless to man?  What about disease, physical/mental disabilities, natural disasters where millions of innocents get killed, in spite of prayer and offerings?
If god cannot be bothered with that, I cannot be bothered with god.

I see God more as an adversary. All these things and more are obstacles to act as a catalyst to cause life to struggle to survive. If these things were taken care of there would be no need for intelligence to evolve, no need for critical thinking. People have a concept of a God who will wipe their back-side when they soil their diapers.

A God who will take care of all the “bad” things in life? I have no need of a God like that. I’d rather a God that makes life a living hell. To test what I am made of. My idea of God is one who will drop you in the fire and laugh as you struggle to get out. However if you manage to get out, then you can respect what you have been able to accomplish for yourself.

Life itself is sufficient test. So far it has worked quite well in providing survival techniques for every currently living thing. If we introduce a superfluous god as an intelligent Creator, you must be able to provide motive. I cannot think of a possible motive or need for a god to create the universe. Why would that be of any interest to a god?  A hobby?

[ Edited: 14 December 2010 01:28 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 December 2010 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Write4U - 14 December 2010 01:09 PM

Life itself is sufficient test. So far it has worked quite well in providing survival techniques for every currently living thing. If we introduce a superfluous god as an intelligent Creator, you must be able to provide motive. I cannot think of a possible motive or need for a god to create the universe. Why would that be of any interest to a god?  A hobby?

I figure being a God gets pretty boring. The antics of the human race must provide some entertainment. You’ve never wound up a toy car, let it drive off the edge of a table just to see what would happen? If the toy breaks, God could always create a new one.

Posted: 14 December 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Gnostikosis - 14 December 2010 02:57 PM

I figure being a God gets pretty boring. The antics of the human race must provide some entertainment. You’ve never wound up a toy car, let it drive off the edge of a table just to see what would happen? If the toy breaks, God could always create a new one.

Ok..a fellow hobbyist I can accept. I am a model train fan (everything to perfect scale) myself. Always wondered how I could make the little figures move. Nex time I’ll contact (through prayer) the expert modeler…perhaps we can breathe some life into my creation..cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 December 2010 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Write4U - 14 December 2010 05:44 PM
Gnostikosis - 14 December 2010 02:57 PM

Ok..a fellow hobbyist I can accept. I am a model train fan (everything to perfect scale) myself. Always wondered how I could make the little figures move. Nex time I’ll contact (through prayer) the expert modeler…perhaps we can breathe some life into my creation..cheese

I like trains myself, the foundry I was a laborer in made railroad equipment, couplers, bolsters, frames etc.  I don’t have the room to build a model railroad (to many books hmmm ) but I do go to the shows occasionaly.  The last show I was at I picked up a poster advetising the Railroad Postal Office. ((RPO, for short.)  As I am a fairly serious stamp collecter (Philatelist, in fancy language), at the last stamp show I picked up an RPO cover (posted envelope) postmarked Dec 7, 1941 & chacthed first day of the New York Central Zephar service.  I may end up preparing an exhibit for some future shows beginning with these items. ( More research is needed.)

[ Edited: 16 December 2010 01:13 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 15 March 2011 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-03-15

I thought the godisimaginary.com site was funny. The majority of the points use human flaws to try and disprove the existence of God. No one said we are perfect creatures who obediently follow everything we are told. We are given choice and, as I have always said, human nature is imperfect. A lot of the points use backwards thinking and false analogy to endeavor to bring the reader to the authors conclusions, but the author certainly did exert a good deal of time, thought, and energy into attempting to prove God is imaginary. At least he is true to his faith smile .

Posted: 15 March 2011 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
vhs_sunshine - 15 March 2011 04:00 PM

as I have always said, human nature is imperfect.

If it was imperfect we would not be here. The dinosaurs’ nature was imperfect and they are gone. We are okay…for now.

Posted: 16 March 2011 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-03-15
George - 15 March 2011 06:13 PM

If it was imperfect we would not be here. The dinosaurs’ nature was imperfect and they are gone. We are okay…for now.

That is funny. I like that observation. Very astute.

Posted: 21 March 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

The dinaosaurs’ “nature” may very well have been more perfect “according to Darwinian standards” than human nature.  They never developed a technogoly with the potential to destroy themseles, that took an act of cosmic destruction over which they had no control.  We are in a sitiuation whwere we can destroy ourselves in minutes with out nuclear technology and within decades with our poluting lifestyles.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 21 March 2011 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I am not sure I am getting your point here, Gary. The dinosaurs were unsuccessful to adapt to the conditions of 80 million years ago and as a result of that they are now gone (except for the birds I guess). If our technology will help us to destroy our species one day, somebody else could then say that we were as unsuccessful to adopt to the environment as were the dinosaurs. If the cause of destruction (i.e., certain environmental condition) comes from the outer space or from within us, it plays no difference here. At least as far as the"Darwinian standards”—as you call them— are concerned.

[ Edited: 24 March 2011 01:56 PM by George ]

Posted: 22 March 2011 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 21 March 2011 01:42 PM

I am not sure I am getting your point here, Gary. The dinosaurs were unsuccessful to adopt to the conditions of 80 million years ago and as a result of that they are now gone (except for the birds I guess). If our technology will help us to destroy our species one day, somebody else could then say that we were as unsuccessful to adopt to the environment as were the dinosaurs. If the cause of destruction (i.e., certain environmental condition) comes from the outer space or from within us, it plays no difference here. At least as far as the"Darwinian standards”—as you call them— are concerned.

If I am not mistaken, it was an astroid striking the earth that led to the drastic and quick change in the climate and reduction/elimination of their food sources that resulted in the destruction of the dinosaurs, as it would probably with us.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 22 March 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-09-30

this site I didn’t see here yet you may like it. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

Signature 

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821  

jt

Posted: 15 May 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-20

Thank you kind sir.  Have it now bookmarked and will be able to get to it quickly.

Browning>>>
http://www.revisedevilsdictionary.com

Signature 

TG Browning>>>
http://www.revisedevilsdictionary.com

Posted: 29 June 2011 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2011-06-29

As a recent ex-Mormon, I must say that I love the annotated Book of Mormon. It’s refreshing to see the fallacy of Joseph Smith’s claims. As soon as I did my own research and saw both sides I knew what I had known for a while, that Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon and that the story of how he “discovered” the golden plates was simply too good to be true.

Posted: 29 June 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

By your analysis of perfection, the most perfect life forms are earthworms, they survived the natural disaster better than almost every other living things except perhaps the cockroach..

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 29 June 2011 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I don’t know about that. I doubt we will have a run at the top of the food chain like the dinosaurs. After all, they lasted as king for 400 millions years. Even after extinction, they are still successful as bird and reptiles.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

8 of 10