10 of 10
Good Reference: Annotated Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon
Posted: 05 October 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

I know this horse has been whipped to death but I wanted to add that both the christians and the muslims base their belief system on a collection of works not written by either Jesus or Muhammad. The earliest Christian writing is that of Paul in 50 AD and later, Mark in 78 AD. The earliest known Islamic writing is 767 AD and Muhammad died in 632. I often wonder why believers don’t seem even a bit skeptical about the religious rumminations of their later followers. I guess that’s why they call it faith. Anyway, we’re not going to shake them from the fog of religion by railing at the written inconsistancies of their “holy” writings, but through reason. If they reject that then there’s nothing further we can do for them. All we can do is insist that their belief system doesn’t spill over into the law or effect the culture in a negative way. By that I mean ex. the degredation of women, blocking pro-choice or teaching ID in the schools among others.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 October 2011 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10
Occam - 18 November 2009 06:26 PM

I hate to repeat myself, Ray, but I believe it’s a waste of time discussing whether or not quotations from the Koran can be found on which to base your beliefs, because that implies that the Koran is, in any way, meaningful.  Before using quotations from it as the basis for your ideas, you have to show that it was really written by some supreme being rather than by a variety of men over the ages. 

Until you can convince me otherwise, I see the Koran and the Bible as merely collections of fairytales, morality stories, and unproven, pseudo-history written over centuries by priests of various types, but no input from any “supreme being” and therefore of little or no value. 

It is not my job to prove the Koran is wrong or absurd.  Since you accept it as truth, it’s your job to prove that it’s true.

Occam

great explanation!

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 25 October 2011 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

The Mormon’s just dropped by, we had a little chat, they were polite so I was too.  I was comparing the history that I’ve heard about them to the history that the Mormons teach to their children.  Apparently, the Mormons and John Smith were the victims every single time that they visited a town to move to.  Who would have guess that?  rolleyes  ( I’ve heard that they invaded Independence, MO with their army of people who believed that is was the new Zion, and invaded some other towns too.)  So I just thought I’d post their Book of Mormons just in case you want to read up on them for when they come to talk to you.  smile

Art telling the history of the Jews who lived in America in 600 B.C.E.  Be prepared.  Why do those Jews look so West Europe, not Mediterranean?  Oh well.  :shrug:

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 26 October 2011 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

I don’t agree with thier theology but they put on a show in Palmra NY every year that is worth seeing.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 October 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

And Hollywood was also created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.  The Oscars cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 October 2011 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Yeah the Mormon Tabernacle Choir does a very good job singing for Christmas, now-a-days.  smile  But those old stories of John Smith, the golden plates, and angel Moroni rolleyes, sad that when most people did not believe those stories that wanted to get rid of the people who did believed the stories.  Sad again that as John Smith moved on to this or that town, he had guns loaded and ready to fire.  The history is amazing and crazy, check it out Americans.

And soon Mitt Romney might be President.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 26 November 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Doug, you could have sent this link to me on a piece of paper, in a gift wrapped box, as a Christmas present and I would have been equally grateful.

Posted: 27 November 2011 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14
ExMachina - 26 November 2011 09:30 PM

Doug, you could have sent this link to me on a piece of paper, in a gift wrapped box, as a Christmas present and I would have been equally grateful.

Very welcome. It’s a fun site to browse.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 July 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
omer - 14 July 2012 03:50 PM

I think HOllY Quraan is mostly repeater and more readable holy book. i prefer reading Quraan because i know well about Arabic.so i can better understand when i read it.

I suggest you read this also

http://www.nairaland.com/121066/predominantly-atheist-countries-lowest-crime

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 July 2012 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 14 July 2012 04:04 PM
omer - 14 July 2012 03:50 PM

I think HOllY Quraan is mostly repeater and more readable holy book. i prefer reading Quraan because i know well about Arabic.so i can better understand when i read it.

I suggest you read this also

http://www.nairaland.com/121066/predominantly-atheist-countries-lowest-crime

Spammer, sorry ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 October 2012 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Way cool: the Skeptics’ Annotated Bible is coming out with a hardcover version. See HERE!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-12-10

Great for debunking Biblical Literalists and Inerrantists… not much good for anything else.

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

In other words, similar to your opinions

not much good for anything else.

? LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

10 of 10