3 of 10
Good Reference: Annotated Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon
Posted: 29 July 2009 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2009-01-01

It might serve as a popular passtime to quibble about what represents the best chosen words of the day to somewhat accurately convey thoughts which were first written thousands of years ago and granted this problem might be a minor reason for the level of discord seen between even the various “Christian” denominations, but one thing I find amazing with the Bible which so many people choose to ignore is the number of “trump cards” you can find to address such questions if you’re so inclined:

For those who quibble about the written word:
2Cr 3:2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:2Cr 3:3[Forasmuch as ye are] manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.2Cr 3:4¶And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:2Cr 3:5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency [is] of God;2Cr 3:6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 

Christians might indeed be considered ignorant and even stupid for believing as they do (damn doctrines) but I’d have to suggest that Saul the Jew who became Paul the Christian (who wrote the biggest part of the New Testament and died for his beliefs) was a pretty bright cookie.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful. - Seneca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65)

Posted: 18 November 2009 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18

I became a muslim, and have not found any real absurdity or injustice in the holy Koran.

If any of you guys can prove anything in the Koran is absurd, I would leave Islam.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
ray - 18 November 2009 08:57 AM

If any of you guys can prove anything in the Koran is absurd, I would leave Islam.

How about the flying horses, Ray. Is that absurd enough for you?

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

First, there are no flying horses in the Koran.

Second, even if there were, why is that absurd.

Can God not inform humans of winged animals from a different planet?

Please tell me if you know of something really absurd in the Koran. I have seen any such thing so far.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15401
Joined  2006-02-14

I became a muslim, and have not found any real absurdity or injustice in the holy Koran.

I dunno, but there’s a long list of them HERE.

Of course, the problem with any list such as this is that someone who assumes a book to be the work of some perfect deity will simply rationalize away any evidence to the contrary, no matter how probative. That’s what blind faith brings.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
ray - 18 November 2009 09:22 AM

First, there are no flying horses in the Koran.

No? Read Quran’s sura.

ray - 18 November 2009 09:22 AM

Second, even if there were, why is that absurd.

Hmm, because horses don’t fly?

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Administrator dougsmith, there is nothing absurd in that list.

It only shows things with which the website disagrees with.

Rejecting something does not mean it is absurd.

If God says murders must hang, and you dont believe in death penatly, then that does not mean God’s statement is absurd.

I hope that makes sense.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 18 November 2009 09:32 AM

Administrator dougsmith, there is nothing absurd in that list.

It only shows things with which the website disagrees with.

Rejecting something does not mean it is absurd.

If God says murders must hang, and you dont believe in death penatly, then that does not mean God’s statement is absurd.

I hope that makes sense.

Not really. How would you define “absurd”, then?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

You tell me. You are the Admin. More wise and experienced than me.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Somehow, I doubt it! We shall see!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 18 November 2009 09:42 AM

You tell me. You are the Admin. More wise and experienced than me.

You were the one saying you didn’t find the things in that list absurd. How did you come to such a conclusion without having some sense of what the word “absurd” meant?

Let’s take an example: let’s say that by “absurd” I mean to say, “does not conform to what I believe to be true”. And let’s further say that I assume the Koran to be the perfect word of God. Then of course it would follow that everything in the Koran was true, and therefore by definition that nothing in the Koran could be absurd.

But that would be a singularly unilluminating conclusion, and an incorrect definition of the word “absurd”. Was that the definition you were using?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 18 November 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 18 November 2009 09:38 AM

Not really. How would you define “absurd”, then?

I’d like to know why he found the koran is LESS absurd than the bible. They are both equally impossible myths.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 November 2009 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18
dougsmith - 18 November 2009 09:53 AM

You were the one saying you didn’t find the things in that list absurd.

How did you come to such a conclusion without having some sense of what the word “absurd” meant?

Let’s take an example: let’s say that by “absurd” I mean to say, “does not conform to what I believe to be true”.
And let’s further say that I assume the Koran to be the perfect word of God. Then of course it would follow that everything in the Koran was true, and therefore by definition that nothing in the Koran could be absurd.

But that would be a singularly unilluminating conclusion, and an incorrect definition of the word “absurd”.

Was that the definition you were using?

No.

You assumed wrong.

As I said above, it would indeed be absurd of me to label as “absurd” a claim simply because it does not conform to my beliefs.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 18 November 2009 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 18 November 2009 10:07 AM

No.

You assumed wrong.

As I said above, it would indeed be absurd of me to label as “absurd” a claim simply because it does not conform to my beliefs.

I did not assume, I merely took it as an example. So, what sort of definition of “absurd” are you using?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 18 November 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2009-01-01

What is the Absurd? It is, as may quite easily be seen, that I, a rational being, must act in a case where my reason, my powers of reflection, tell me: you can just as well do the one thing as the other, that is to say where my reason and reflection say: you cannot act and yet here is where I have to act… The Absurd, or to act by virtue of the absurd, is to act upon faith ... I must act, but reflection has closed the road so I take one of the possibilities and say: This is what I do, I cannot do otherwise because I am brought to a standstill by my powers of reflection.[5]

– Kierkegaard, Søren, Journals, 1849

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful. - Seneca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65)

3 of 10