Warren Bonett - Down Under Reason
Posted: 29 October 2010 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Warren Bonett is a skeptic, author and an independent bookseller. Warren wanted to become actively involved in critical thinking without joining an organization or becoming an –ism, so he opened “Embiggen Books”. This is a unique store specializing in skeptical and science titles… right in the middle of a New Age township. He has been told that his store has “great feng shui.”

In this interview with Karen Stollznow, Warren recommends books for those who are new to skepticism, and suggests titles to introduce children to science and critical thinking.

Warren is also a bookseller who has edited a book. He is editor and contributor to The Australian Book of Atheism. This project includes 32 essays about religion and secularism written by pre-eminent Australian atheist, rationalist, humanist, and skeptic thinkers, including Russell Blackford, Tim Minchin, Graham Oppy, Robyn Williams, and Martin Bridgstock.

Its blurb states that the book “showcases the unique character of Australian atheism.” Warren tells us exactly what is unique about atheism in Australia, and discusses the issues that are specific to Australian society.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/warren_bonett_down_under_reason/

Posted: 29 October 2010 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-25

I know I got a few statistics of believers/nonbelievers incorrect so I thought I’d provide a link with a good breakdown of the results.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/faith-what-australians-believe-in-20091218-l5qy.html

Posted: 05 November 2010 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-05

Warren Bonett recommended several books.  I think I caught all of the books I’m interested in, but can I suggest including a list in the show notes, perhaps with links?

I noted these (it’s not complete, just those that appealed to me):
Unweaving the Rainbow (Dawkins)
A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)
The Demon-Haunted World (Sagan)

For kids / parents:
Really, Really Big Questions (Stephen Law)
Evolution (Daniel Loxton)
The Tree of Life: Charles Darwin (Peter Sis)
Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei (Peter Sis)
Misc books by Philip Cam (re critical thinking)