Hello from Toronto
Posted: 03 November 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-11-03

Hello,

My name is Rob and I live in Markham near Toronto. I became an atheist at the age of 12 -I just woke up one day and stopped believing in God. Simple as that! I grew up in a protestant family that wasn’t into religion very much but my mother was always looking to find some new age foolishness to belong to and feel like part of an accepted group. Eventually she married into an Italian Catholic family so all of a sudden I had to go to church with incredibly boring services (Latin) with compulsory bible studies. I was around 15-16 at the time so it fit into my rebellious nature rather well. I would dare the priest to give me proof of God and had no problem pointing out biblical contradictions and the common sense of evolutionary theory. They would smile and calmly and call me ignorant of the ways of the lord and hand me free bibles. These I used to hollow out and hide my weed.

Being an atheist in Canada is hardly a problem. I never lost a job or felt persecuted. Most people I’ve run into rarely care - or if they do the debate is usually fairly civil even after a few beers. I never hide the fact I’m godless and I get a kick out of the questions I get like-are you a communist? How do you stay moral? Is science your religion and where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?

Toronto is a little more conservative than most Canadian cities. This is where I have settled in my middle age years. It’s a wee bit more pious than the rest of the country but still a good place to live. It’s when I visit the U.S is where I get the full force of rampant religiosity. The people are friendly but they take the big “J” very seriously indeed. I don’t give a damn if people are offended at my atheism. I won’t attack their religion if they don’t call for my death, question my moral compass or ask me if I have heard the “word”.

I’m not fond of scientologists either and each time I’ve met one it has not gone particularly well. Letting them know that they belong to a corporate pyramid death cult is a possible cause. I applaud what anonymous is trying to do and I hope they keep at it.

I also believe that political correctness is the slow poisoning of freedom and the root of servile intolerance!

I work as an artist and this has allowed me to travel the world. There have been discussions of Hinduism in India, Islam in Thailand, Buddhism in Korea and Atheism in China! All incredibly interesting and open discussions.

Anyhoo…joining this forum seemed clear to me because the beliefs stated here are similar to what I think make a tolerant and educated society

Thanks for reading

Posted: 03 November 2010 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome superfly.  You’ve certainly had an interesting journey.  As far as the U.S. goes, it sounds as if you have spent more time in the central, and south-east parts of it.  You might try the north-east or California.  I think you’d find a very different environment as far as religion goes.  And I strongly agree with you about mindless political correctness. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 November 2010 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, superfly. Yep, I think with the discussions you’ve had around the world you’ll enjoy hashing things out here with the rest of us.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 November 2010 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-03

Occam,

Thanks .I have also worked in LA for Disney and I have to agree that as far as religion goes it’s much more relaxed in the big cities. But I warn you that if you work with actors you would probably prefer religious fundamentalists (rim shot!)

The first time I went to the states I spent 5 weeks camping in Kentucky with my German girlfriend. (Her idea) At the time I was in my early 20s and so very impressionable .To me it was like another planet. I’ll never forget the time I saw a group of hugely overweight people line dancing in a Wal-Mart parking lot for Jesus. All in splendidly humid 95 degree heat! You can’t buy that kind of dedication! I just stood and watched with my ice cream.

When that is one of the first things you see of your neighboring country on your first visit it burns an impression in your skull that cannot be easily removed!

I have to say I love New York City. Now that’s a town!

Mr. Smith,

I do enjoy religious discussions on occasion. The stories in the Ramayana are very cool and Buddhism can chill you out nicely but I mostly prefer science and politics!

Posted: 04 November 2010 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

S-F, I’ve lived in the Los Angeles area for seventy-one years, and am happy to say that I’ve almost never seen a movie star. 

While I detest horror movies, I think I’d rather sit through a marathon of them than to be exposed to the frightening sight in the Walmart parking lot that you described.  LOL

Occam
Wordpad

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 November 2010 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Superfly.  smile  Reminds me of a disco song, but I forget the name of it.  LOL  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 November 2010 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-03

Thank you Mriana

You might be thinking of the song by Curtis Mayfield –Superfly

Here is a link

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21cs1_curtis-mayfield-superfly-live_music

Be prepared to get your funk on!

Posted: 05 November 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh yeah!  That’s the song!  Very funky and oh yeah, I have my funk on.  Love the funk.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report