obligatory introduction - looking for article from 1989 on mill creek sasquach print hoax
Posted: 05 November 2010 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-05

Hi folks.

I’m a retired professor living off in the woods of interior alaska.  I broke my leg very badly requiring two very long operations and hospitalizations.  I am home now but going to town to pick up an article from the University is a bit of a hardship for me right now. 

I am looking for an article from 1989’s Spring publication:

Dennett, M. 1989. Evidence for Bigfoot? An investigation of the Mill Creek ‘Sasquatch Prints.’ Skeptical Inquirer 13(3), Spring: 264-272.

It is not in the archive section of the online magazine. 

By way of explanation, I have lived in a log cabin on the edge of the wilderness for 25 years, and spent most of my life prior to that living like a hobo backpacking in the woods, hunting, fishing, etc.  I’m a bushpilot with a tricked-out supercub and have been did extreme remote flying for over 20 years.  Four wheelers, snowmachines, boats - I’ve got every Alaska wilderness toy and I use them regularly plus hike in the woods almost daily.  I’ve shot five bears in self-defense, trapped all manner of animals including lynx, wolverine, marten, beaver, etc. plus hunted moose, caribou, and deer for food as well as commercial fished for salmon in the Bering Sea.  That trip is a thousand miles by boat down the Tanana and Yukon Rivers.  I’ve climbed McKinley.  I own an Antimony Claim in the Talkeetnas.  I’ve logged, built roads, lived for more than a month at a time out in the wilderness - almost nothing I have not done in the way of outdoor Alaska stuff.

In short, if anyone should have seen a bigfoot, it would be me.  The best “evidence” I have seen on it is clearly faked.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at how clear it is to me that the believers have no legitimate experience in the woods. 

So what interests me is the hoaxing.  Hence this article above is of high interest to me.  I would appreciate anyone that has a reference I can download it from or if they have an attachment they can email then I won’t have to go in town. 

Thanks and sincerely, Bob

Posted: 05 November 2010 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

From your claims, it appears that you are about 145 years old.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 November 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-05

I would like to cancel my membership, thanks. 

Obviously, with personal attacks from moderators this is not the kind of place I want to be.  But your insult does demand a response in the way of some evidence:

This is the largest grizzly I’ve shot, next to a deer hide for comparison:

th_grizzlyhide2.jpg?t=1289002170

I have a lot of animals around the cabin regularly.  This is a yearling moose I was very friendly with:

th_moosekiss.jpg?t=1289002170

One of my supercubs on the Wood River:

th_95woodriver4.jpg?t=1289002170

My wife at our Antimony Claim in the Talkeetnas.  She’s 30 years younger than me:

th_liraprospectcamp.jpg?t=1289002170

This is my wife driving a ‘dozer clearing the driveway.  If you don’t believe what I have said about myself then there is no point in listing what she’s capable of after only three years living here:

th_dozergirl1.jpg?t=1289003599

My wife running a chain saw out front.  We heat with wood. 

th_cutwooD.jpg?t=1289003599

Caribou I shot up in the Brooks Range

th_bobcaribou103.jpg?t=1289002170

This is an alligator I shot in the Amazon:

th_alligatoramazon.jpg?t=1289002170

I can go on all day with photos.  There’s an article in Reader’s Digest called “Swept off Mt. McKinley”, inDecember of 1991 I believe.  I was one of the three that rescued the people blown off the mountain.  A number of other articles as well, but the more I mention of them the more I’ll be posting to defend myself.

It’s forty years of cumulative experience.  It’s what I do.  What I live for.  It is also not that unusual for Alaska. 

It was mentioned because like I said, if there is anyone who should have seen bigfoot by now, it would be me. 

Nevertheless, cancel my membership.  I don’t have time to be doing this.  It is tedious and life is much too short.  If moderators act this way then it is hard to imagine what the general membership is like.

I can get the article from the library.  We won’t be in town for weeks, but I’m certainly not coming back here. 

I apologize for wasting your time and bandwidth.

- Bob

Posted: 05 November 2010 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Wow.  Way to overreact.  Occam was joking with you, man.  Sheesh.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 November 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-11-05

Were there to be any doubt, that sure sealed it.

Defend yourself, and you are attacked again!

I’ve found that with message boards it is just so easy to throw out flippant insults, but on the other hand it takes time to write out a considered response, edit for clarity, choose words carefully etc. -

and what you get in response are these one-line put-downs like both of the above. 

So who needs it. 

I’ve turned off my email notification now so I am not tempted to respond.  This is not a place for engaging in polite discussion, obviously. 

Again, please cancel my membership. 

- Bob

Posted: 05 November 2010 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

hmmm  Okay then.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 05 November 2010 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

You’d think someone who has lived in the wilderness for 25 years while teaching college and killing alligators and bears would have thicker skin. oh oh

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 06 November 2010 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
DarronS - 05 November 2010 08:18 PM

You’d think someone who has lived in the wilderness for 25 years while teaching college and killing alligators and bears would have thicker skin. oh oh

Yeah that’s it! I couldn’t put my finger on it…but that’s what seemed funny to me.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!