Secularism and Babies
Posted: 01 September 2006 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-09-01

it just strikes me that religious people tend to have more babies.  Most orthodox relgions like orthodox jews, catholics, and the like have tenents either forbidding contraceptives, or outright encourages people to have a lot of baby.

and the more secular nations, like sweden are having population issues. according to wikipedia, sweden now have a birthrate of 1.66 babies per woman.  which means the population is shrinking,

i wonder if there are some connection between being non-religious and not wanting to have a lot of children…

Posted: 01 September 2006 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, as I recall, declining birth rates are well correlated with rising levels of female education.

Female education in general probably correlates with relative liberalism in religious beliefs.

The ‘religions of the book’ all have the notion that sex is dirty unless it is used for procreation; that women have a purpose in life which is to bear children; that couples should ‘be fruitful and multiply’.

On the other hand, I suppose, without these orthodox religious notions, couples will decide only to have the few children they can comfortably support. Or they may decide that having children is very costly and difficult. Or they may decide that the world is already overpopulated.

But this is largely speculation.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 September 2006 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I think another reason for this is that a lot of the most religious countries, have very poor citezens who cannot afford to buy condoms and birth control. Examples: African nations, Middle East (women cant go out and buy these items), Mexico, etc.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 07 September 2006 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]I think another reason for this is that a lot of the most religious countries, have very poor citezens who cannot afford to buy condoms and birth control. Examples: African nations, Middle East (women cant go out and buy these items), Mexico, etc.

Quite so. It doesn’t help matters, however, that many of these poorer nations (Mexico, South and Central America, Africa) are Catholic, and the Pope believes that condoms and birth control are evil.

It also doesn’t help things when the US government refuses to fund organizations that donate money to fund condom donation and birth control programs.

Another way in which religion impoverishes the world.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 September 2006 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-08-29

Interesting that you say that. 

I have an “acquaintance” who is a Catholic and he told me “we Catholics have to breed so that we can take over the world!”  He was kidding, I assume, but . . . maybe not?

I also work for Social Services and the bottom line is—It doesn’t take ANY brains to breed but it takes a LOT of smarts to limit your family size. And, as we all know, atheists are smarter.

Signature 

Mary Ann