3 of 5
U.S. Survey: 1 in 10 Kids Has ADHD
Posted: 23 December 2010 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-12-23

Being as old as dirt and also in a profession that deals with these issues, I’ve long since stopped inveighing against the ‘diagnoses du jour’ that have people racing for the ‘label’ for whatever they * think * they or their children are , um, suffering? from. Much depends on whom someone chooses to take their diagnostic ‘label’ ...from.

Anyone who has seen a child suffering from hyperactive dysorder knows how unusual and rare it is - it’s extremely painful to see and no doubt, to suffer from. Attention deficit dysorder(s) labels are much more prone to the subjective opinion of the person doing the diagnosis. I hate to be cynical but Big Pharma is *not* an innocent in all this as the millions they earn on medication ( especially on ‘life time conditions’) has been shown to encourage them to fund research favourable to whatever ‘du jour’ diagnosis is current. One can also ‘date’ a mental health professional by the syndromes and beliefs they hold regarding certain conditions.

I also think the apparent rise in certain disorders is distorted by the rise in the speed of information ( the advent of the ‘net) which appears to confirm people’s belief that some dysorder exists in some statistical average ( pick a stat., any stat - it will change tomorrow!).

Medicine is ever evolving, from trepanning to microsurgery, from chaining people up in Bethlam Royal hospital and charging a half-penny to see the loons to sophisticated neural imaging.  Prevalence and Incidence numbers have not changed in actuality, only in seeming. I cannot imagine, even in my darkest Neo-Lamarkian phases, that a robust neuropathology can suddenly take a dramatic up-swing in a population but then (and this is the telling point ) suddenly swing down just as fast.

Unless of course something in the water supply stopped being shoveled in . Or something. 

I understand why this happens but it worries me. We should not be using our children (or ourselves )as lab rats. Just my opinion.

Pelagic

Signature 

Mihi, quanto plura recentium seu veterum revolvo, tanto magis ludibria rerum mortalium cunctis in negotiis observantur - Tacitus

” I knew that!” - me

Posted: 23 December 2010 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20

As a teacher I find that 1 in 10 kids has what I like to call Parental Distraction Syndrome (PDS), in which any time a child is bored or troublesome they pacify the child with a Nintendo, PSP, I-Phone or portable DVD player, thus the child never LEARNS how to sit still and pay attention.  I’d love to see a study that compares the rise in portable gaming and DVD systems, in a car, seriously? and the “rise’ in ADHD diagnoses.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 23 December 2010 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I appreciate your accurate self-evaluation —prolix.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 December 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-23

My family has the money to do this, so we had one of our children tested by 2 different psychiatrists. One psychiatrist said our child had ADD and needed to be on medication. She was so forceful about her diagnosis she hinted we could be charged with child abuse if we didn’t comply with her advice. The second psychiatrist said our child was completely normal.

Posted: 23 December 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-23
Occam. - 23 December 2010 09:41 PM

I appreciate your accurate self-evaluation —prolix.  smile

Occam

The good news being that I obviously don’t suffer from a limited attention span so thank your stars I don’t take amphetamines- it could be so much worse. Heh.

Pelagic

Signature 

Mihi, quanto plura recentium seu veterum revolvo, tanto magis ludibria rerum mortalium cunctis in negotiis observantur - Tacitus

” I knew that!” - me

Posted: 23 December 2010 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
psikeyhackr - 12 November 2010 09:51 AM
brightfut - 10 November 2010 06:40 PM

Brains adapt and develop according to the stimulus that is provided.  If they get lots of stimulus then they get used to that level of stimulus.

I think that is the problem right there.  My parents grew up without television.  When I was a kid there were 5 channels and the TV was black & white.  I think being black & white instantly communicated the fact that it WAS NOT REAL.

psik

This is a sad but true story.  When I was teaching in the inner city, a young man came up and asked “when did the world become color?”  He has just watched a B/W movie and thought the world was once B/W.  I was tempted to tell him that color arrived when he was born (let me add that I am Black) but I explained that color film was invented in Germany in the 1930’s (others will differ) but the world has always been in color.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 23 December 2010 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
TeachScience - 23 December 2010 09:40 PM

As a teacher I find that 1 in 10 kids has what I like to call Parental Distraction Syndrome (PDS), in which any time a child is bored or troublesome they pacify the child with a Nintendo, PSP, I-Phone or portable DVD player, thus the child never LEARNS how to sit still and pay attention.  I’d love to see a study that compares the rise in portable gaming and DVD systems, in a car, seriously? and the “rise’ in ADHD diagnoses.

Yes, I agree. I told my sons, if they EVER get a DVD etc in the car to ‘entertain’ the kids (none as of yet), I’ll ‘strangle’ them. Honestly, there is so much else to do in the world around them. Kids nowdays do not play license plate ABC or compete to see how many different state plates they could find, or ‘slug bug’ or any of the other games we used to play in the car to keep the kids entertained. When I was a kid, when we went on long trips, we used to have a competition to see who could list all of the states and/or capitals first. No one does that any more!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 December 2010 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-23

The illusory ‘rise’ in ADHD began in the 1970’s which predates most of the cool electronic toys. I have a feeling ( not backed up by any research I can cite smile ) that the answer may lay more in the cultural and sociological realm than in straight psychology. There *are* Attention’ and ‘Hyperactive’ disorders . However, I think two very important factors contributing to the inflated statistics were the social changes re: expectations of children ( they make crap accessories as they insist on being autonomous complex beings) and the spread of information esp. the ‘pathologizing’ of, well, just about anything.

There was a much more intense focus on children starting from when the boomer generation started podding.This spotlight on children ( which was a good thing) had the unfortunate side-effect of magnifying behaviors which didn’t fit neatly into ‘Good Parent Magazine’. People forget or don’t know how little we know (and knew) about developmental psychology. What did become common currency was the idea that if everything was down to a mutable agent such as psychology then it could be manipulated for desired ends. Good luck with that.

The rise of Pop psychology started in the ‘60’s and it’s too bad nobody drove a stake through it’s heart then and there. But by then the quick-fix thinking was getting entrenched and what could be quicker than a pill? And something nobody wants to think about is that if something is a pathology, it lets the the primary care-givers off the hook. And a new cycle of pass the buck begins as those children with a gold-plated ‘diagnosis’ will have children and find one for them in turn.

I read a wonderful article once about how parents neglect to teach their children how to deal with one of life’s continuing situations: boredom. We have to wait in doctor’s offices, in airports, on long car rides and so forth. People do their kids a disservice when they don’t teach them how to cope . People that don’t know how to cope with long periods of waiting tend to get anxious very easily.

But then I also think things in general got dumbed down to an alarming degree. I’m not at all surpised many kids get bored out of their gourds and have to find something - anything, to do to amuse themselves. The fact that adults might not share in their kid’s taste for amusement is to be expected. I wonder how many bored kids have a ‘diagnosis’ they can carry around with them ? It isn’t going to help ‘em get through life.

I sometimes wonder if it went like this:’ gee, we thought the kid had ADHD but it seems he/she is just bored. If they are bored and other children are not, maybe they are extra bright. If they are extra bright, maybe they have savantism’ - and BING! - now 1 in every ten kids is autistic. Hmm, I wonder what will happen when those kids grow up to be just interested and interesting adults after these huge expectations were put on them for being wunderkind.

I hear there are drugs for that, though.

Pelagic

Signature 

” I knew that!” - me

Posted: 24 December 2010 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
pelagic - 23 December 2010 11:39 PM

I read a wonderful article once about how parents neglect to teach their children how to deal with one of life’s continuing situations: boredom. We have to wait in doctor’s offices, in airports, on long car rides and so forth. People do their kids a disservice when they don’t teach them how to cope . People that don’t know how to cope with long periods of waiting tend to get anxious very easily.

But then I also think things in general got dumbed down to an alarming degree. I’m not at all surpised many kids get bored out of their gourds and have to find something - anything, to do to amuse themselves. The fact that adults might not share in their kid’s taste for amusement is to be expected. I wonder how many bored kids have a ‘diagnosis’ they can carry around with them ? It isn’t going to help ‘em get through life.

Back in the ‘olden days’, we used to bring books to read, or small toys to amuse ourselves. So did my kids. Nowadays, they bring a portable gameboy or iPod.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 December 2010 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

The theatrics are killing me. Soon we’ll be dramatizing Shakespearian works. “O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love. And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.”

Posted: 24 December 2010 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-23
ExMachina - 24 December 2010 03:27 AM

The theatrics are killing me. Soon we’ll be dramatizing Shakespearian works. “O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love. And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.”

Eh?

Why is caring for children and not wanting them to be medicated to the gills on dodgy drugs for imagined dysorders ‘theatrical’? Or questioning the wisdom of current medical practise a silly thing to do? Should people not question or care?

Sorry, I’m easily confused. What have people posted wrong? I realize there never were any ‘good old days’ but replacing them with ‘bad new days’ is not something commendable.

Oh well. Nihilsm is my friend and I should stick to it smile. I apologize if I have over-stepped my bounds - I’m new to the forum and haven’t got a feel for correct types of posting yet.

Pelagic

Signature 

” I knew that!” - me

Posted: 24 December 2010 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No, I agree with you, sitting still and paying attention for a set time frame is a learned skill. Most of the games I see are fast action, and school is hardly that.

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2010 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

I’m personally all for using medication to get kids who have ADD back on track. I’ve seen the results of these adults who were kids where the medications was omitted. It’s not a pretty sight.

Posted: 24 December 2010 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 24 December 2010 04:36 AM

I’m personally all for using medication to get kids who have ADD back on track. I’ve seen the results of these adults who were kids where the medications was omitted. It’s not a pretty sight.

I’m for using medication where it is needed, but I am against over-diagnoses. Children who can’t stay still, simply because they are very active, should not be medicated just because they distract the teacher. Children who can’t stay still because they have never been taught that skill, should not be medicated, when behavior modification should be used.

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2010 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 24 December 2010 04:41 AM
ExMachina - 24 December 2010 04:36 AM

I’m for using medication where it is needed, but I am against over-diagnoses. Children who can’t stay still, simply because they are very active, should not be medicated just because they distract the teacher. Children who can’t stay still because they have never been taught that skill, should not be medicated, when behavior modification should be used.

That I can agree with. This coming from an ADD monster. (not you btw)

3 of 5

‹‹ Genetics and race      Bush is back ››