1 of 2
Has anyone here been diagnosed or have known anyone with ADD?
Posted: 13 November 2010 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

I’m just curious how many people here were diagnosed with ADD.  I didn’t want this question to get lost in a previous post regarding the mental disorder. As earlier posted, it looks like 1 and 10 people seem to have the problem, so I thought it would be interesting to see how many people on this forum were told they have it or know anyone who has had it.

[ Edited: 13 November 2010 12:59 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 13 November 2010 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2007-08-31
ExMachina - 13 November 2010 08:28 AM

I’m just curious how many people here were told that they had ADHD and I didn’t want this question to get lost in a previous post regarding the mental disorder. As earlier posted, it looks like 1 and 10 people seem to have the problem, so I thought it would be interesting to see how many people on this forum were told they have it.

I am diagnosed with ADD (no H!).

I think the first point to see is that there must be some level of ‘suffering’. Running in the same problems again and again, and have the feeling that life runs without you, and you block yourself. Of course many people know these kind of feelings, but if these does not seem to block your success in your life very consistently, then it is OK.

Second point is to look for different possible explanations. I assume in english this is called ‘cross diagnosis’? Nothing fitted to me.

Bad enough I belong to the 20% of the AD(H)Ders where Ritalin does not help…

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 13 November 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, my younger son was Dx with PDD-NOS (high functioning), ADHD, and a whole alphabet soup over the years, with the PDD staying in the whole mess.  Ritalin made him extremely sick.  My older son was Dx with ADHD, but not Rx Ritalin, until they changed that to Bi-polar disorder and Rx meds for that in his teens.  I don’t think the pros quite know enough to Dx true ADHD/ADD, just yet.  That’s just my opinion at least.  I think it is quite possible that some people Dx with ADHD might have something else other than that and that is why the Tx for the disorder doesn’t work for them.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 November 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5550
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve only known one person diagnosed with ADD, and having known him for many years, I now realize that a) he was misdiagnosed, b) that ADD isn’t the negative or damaging syndrome teachers and school psychologists make it out to be, or c) that it’s something one grows out of. 

The worst thing I see about that diagnosis is what it does to the kid’s confidence and self-respect.

Occam

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 November 2010 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6010
Joined  2009-02-26

I suspect that at least some ADD behavior is due to disinterest in a particular endeavor.
Has anyone tested this? Allow an ADD child to pick what he wants to do, instead of forcing him to do something?
I believe the Montessori educational system was based on that.

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 12:54 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 November 2010 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

My oldest son was extremely active. He could never sit still. Based on what I see now, he probably would have been diagnosed as ADD if he were in school now. But he isn’t, he is just what used to be called fidgety. He did have a problem with dyslexia, but it was caught early and we were able to overcome that by the time he was in the fourth grade with a LOT of hard work.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 November 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

From Wiki:

In 1906, the opportunity presented itself when Montessori was asked to establish a day-care center for young children (2–6) in a low-income housing area of Rome’s San Lorenzo district.[13] She opened the center in 1907, calling it a Children’s House,and began observing the children in the scientific manner indicated before by Seguin.[14] In this process, Dr. Montessori soon discovered that the children responded to the materials with a deep concentration that resulted in a fundamental shift in their way of being, changing from the ordinary behavior of fantasy, inattention, and disorder, to a state of profound peace, calm and order within their environment. Observing this change occurring with all the children in her environment, she concluded that she had discovered the child’s true normal nature. Later, Dr. Montessori referred to this change as normalization and the new emerging children as normalized.[15]

(emphasis mine.)

Let the child pick what it wants to do. Just the decision making alone, in choosing an object/subject, is a learning experience. At that age kids either like something or they don’t. You cannot reason them into learning that which does not draw their natural attention.

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 01:53 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 November 2010 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
Write4U - 14 November 2010 12:59 AM

Let the child pick what it wants to do. Just the decision making alone, in choosing an object/subject, is a learning experience. At that age kids either like something or they don’t. You cannot reason them into learning that which does not draw their natural attention.

While you are making good sense in dealing with children, according to my Abnormal Psychology textbook and I quote, “Most children can sit still and concentrate for a while when they want to; children who are hyperactive seemingly cannot.”  This is the difference between normal overactivity and ADHD.

Posted: 14 November 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
brightfut - 14 November 2010 01:16 PM
Write4U - 14 November 2010 12:59 AM

While you are making good sense in dealing with children, according to my Abnormal Psychology textbook and I quote, “Most children can sit still and concentrate for a while when they want to; children who are hyperactive seemingly cannot.”  This is the difference between normal overactivity and ADHD.

Why do they need to sit still? Let them explore, investigate, try out. The ability to sit still is not necessarily related to learning.
If a child with ADD loses interest, allow them to choose the next activity for themselves.
I realize there are clinical cases, but I also believe that trying to force a 4 year old to do something it doesn’t want to do, the result is resistance and disobedience.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 November 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
Write4U - 14 November 2010 01:40 PM

Why do they need to sit still? Let them explore, investigate, try out. The ability to sit still is not necessarily related to learning.

I think in ADHD a child can’t sit still and concentrate on something even if this is the child’s choice.  Something is physically wrong with their brains that prevents them from being able to sit still (hyperactive) or to concentrate (attention deficit).

Posted: 14 November 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I have known people who have it, but as far as I can tell, the 1 in 10 stat is rather inflated.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 14 November 2010 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
TromboneAndrew - 14 November 2010 05:25 PM

I have known people who have it, but as far as I can tell, the 1 in 10 stat is rather inflated.

I think those numbers are insanely inflated. Maybe it’s relative with the way gays are able to recognize other gay people, but ADD seems to be the same. If you’re inflicted with it, you’re more capable of seeing it in others and from what I’ve seen, very few people seem to suffer from it. I think the problem is that a hyperactive child gets diagnosed with it, when the reality of the matter is, just because hes a hyper child, doesn’t mean he has ADD. ADD goes much deeper than just hyper-activity. It also includes an array of inflictions.

Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
Have difficulty maintaining focus on one task
Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something enjoyable
Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new or trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
Not seem to listen when spoken to
Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
Struggle to follow instructions.
Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type symptoms may include:[33]

Fidget and squirm in their seats
Talk nonstop
Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, and story time
Be constantly in motion
Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities.
and also these manifestations primarily of impulsivity:[33]

Be very impatient
Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences
Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turns in games

People with ADD prefer the politically correct term “hyper freaky monster syndrome” HFMS for short.

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 06:00 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 14 November 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
ExMachina - 14 November 2010 05:51 PM

I think those numbers are insanely inflated. Maybe it’s relative with the way gays are able to recognize other gay people, but ADD seems to be the same. If you’re inflicted with it, you’re more capable of seeing it in others and from what I’ve seen, very few people seem to suffer from it. I think the problem is that a hyperactive child gets diagnosed with it, when the reality of the matter is, that he’s just a hyper child. ADD goes much deeper into just hyper-activity. It also includes an array of inflictions that go with it.

Note ExMachina’s list line 3:

Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something enjoyable

But it must be enjoyable to each individual child. Let them enjoy things by themselves!

yes, I was trying to address an effective teaching environment for ADD children. Even if the child is hyperactive, it seems to me that it might be more productive to accommodate the activity and allow that child space and variety of things to explore. That is the basic principle of the Montessori system. Of course when a child is destructive or dangerous to other children, it becomes a matter of restraint, but until then, let them roam, browse, graze, play, but most importantly, let them follow their own inclinations and preferences. To express their true nature. Group activities cannot possibly be effective for any length of time.
That sounds right and just to me. And it has a secondary benefit that it offers a psychological insight into the childs particular condition and how an effective treatment might be achieved.

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 07:23 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 14 November 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Write4U - 14 November 2010 06:04 PM
ExMachina - 14 November 2010 05:51 PM

I think those numbers are insanely inflated. Maybe it’s relative with the way gays are able to recognize other gay people, but ADD seems to be the same. If you’re inflicted with it, you’re more capable of seeing it in others and from what I’ve seen, very few people seem to suffer from it. I think the problem is that a hyperactive child gets diagnosed with it, when the reality of the matter is, that he’s just a hyper child. ADD goes much deeper into just hyper-activity. It also includes an array of inflictions that go with it.

Note ExMachina’s list line 3:

But it must be enjoyable to each individual child. Let them enjoy things by the themselves!

yes, I was trying to address an effective teaching environment for ADD children. Even if the child is hyperactive, it seems to me that it might be more productive to accommodate the activity and allow that child space and variety of things to explore. That is the basic principle of the Montessori system. Of course when a child is destructive or dangerous to other children, it becomes a matter of restraint, but until then, let them roam, browse, graze, play, but most importantly, let them follow their own inclinations and preferences. To express their true nature. Group activities cannot possibly be effective for any length of time.
That sounds right and just to me. And it has a secondary benefit that it offers a psychological insight into the childs particular condition and how an effective treatment might be achieved.

I completely disagree with you Write4U. A person who has ADD needs to learn self control and focus. Allowing him to roam free further distances himself from reality. There is no way that he’ll/she’ll learn how to function normally in society if he doesn’t understand how to act in society. They tried having special classes for these people and they ended up having classes where teaching was slowed way down and certain kids had to have mittens so they’d stop picking their noses. Sorry, but the “let them roam free” is something I totally disagree with. The true nature of an ADD is a monster. smile

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 09:44 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 15 November 2010 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2007-08-31

The DSM-IV allows for diagnosis of the predominantly inattentive subtype of ADHD (under code 314.00) if the individual presents six or more of the following symptoms of inattention for at least six months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

* Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
  * Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
  * Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
  * Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
  * Often has trouble organizing activities.
  * Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn’t want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period (such as schoolwork or homework).
  * Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
  * Is often easily distracted.
  * Is often forgetful in daily activities.

A requirement for an ADHD-PI diagnosis is that of the symptoms that cause impairment must be present in two or more settings (e.g., at school or work and at home). There must also be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning. Lastly, the symptoms must not occur exclusively during the course of a pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., mood disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociative disorder, personality disorder).

Bold by me. From Wikipedia.
The cause of the suffering of AD(H)D lies in the combination of brain functionality (presumed to be genetic) and the requirements of society. These have changed over the years.

Compare it with illiteracy: I do not think this was a problem for stone age men…

Write4U, it is not completely wrong what you say, but also not completely right.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 15 November 2010 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

My brother, my gf, my gf’s sister, a kid I used to work with, and a former college professor of mine were all diagnosed with ADD or ADHD.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

1 of 2