2 of 2
Has anyone here been diagnosed or have known anyone with ADD?
Posted: 23 November 2010 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I’m technically ADD. The Diagnostic Medical Guides explain them well if you interpret them as is. They explain them in terms of a behaviors that are not productive to expected social goals. They are not necessarily brain dysfunctions so much as they are chemical differences in brain operation which cause people to act or not act in a way that is unconventional and usually detrimental to functioning in some given social tasks.

I function completely normal and best sitting behind a computer typing out messages at my will and convenience. But if I was forced into certain social interactions, I can behave awkward and inappropriate which may give off a false impression of my actual capabilities. Everyone can understand this to some degree. You can be forced to do a television interview on the spot without a script by some interviewer who speaks at 100mph and you do not have time to think of a response of a hard question. Before you can answer, the interviewer may all of sudden get too impatient and go on to a different question which now you must change your focus onto. ADD is like that…a sort-of stage fright because you may hear something but your physical emotions are fighting against. So you need more time to register what you heard to transfer to thought.

Emotional arousal tends to be the likely cause of this chemically. So they give us drugs relating to chemicals that try to balance these out. Sometimes they are more effective, sometimes not. The brain still has a lot of unknown details for psychiatrists to know what to do yet. So it’s trial by error for now.

[ Edited: 23 November 2010 07:49 PM by Scott Mayers ]
 Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 23 November 2010 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-09-21

I had a roommate for a couple years that I’m SURE had ADHD or something, though I don’t think he was ever actually diagnosed. He actually had to be looking at something else to be able to listen properly to people…as in, he would be reading something he didn’t really care about(since he didn’t expect to remember much of it), so that hiss eyes were busy and he could focus his attention on listening to what people were saying. Otherwise he’d just zone in and out.

Signature 

Bradleclerc.com - OttawaTechHelp.ca

Posted: 23 November 2010 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Were you looking at him like you do in your picture at those times? Ha ha!

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 23 November 2010 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-09-21
Scott Mayers - 23 November 2010 10:21 PM

Were you looking at him like you do in your picture at those times? Ha ha!

Only the first time couple times, since I assumed he was just being kinda rude until I understood what was going on. heh

Signature 

Bradleclerc.com - OttawaTechHelp.ca

Posted: 24 November 2010 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  6041
Joined  2009-02-26

Just ran across this:
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20439038,00.html

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 November 2010 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-11-21

Just ran across this:

Parents Not Concentrating!
Aisle congestion in grocery stores are preventing shoppers from getting to their products as people have apparently slowed down to carefully read ingredients on various goods. Parents looking over labels are losing control of their children as they run amok.

Signature 

2 of 2