3 of 3
Auras
Posted: 03 March 2008 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-02

Ok, thankyou for taking the time to read my posts, I recognize I get dissapointed in a fast way, Im sorry for been impulsive. So, I would really like to share what I have learned from my own experience, I just need to know something, is this the rightforum to discuss aura and its properties, or should I try to find another forum?

Posted: 03 March 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

It is the right place to discuss auras and it’s properties.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 March 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-02

Ok, do you want to know how to learn to see it or feel it?  Have you ever asked your self why can you feel somebody’s presence in a room you just entered, or you feel when some one is looking at you from behind, have you ever had that kind of experiences?

Posted: 03 March 2008 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2008-02-22
sergioxela - 03 March 2008 08:50 PM

Ok, thankyou for taking the time to read my posts, I recognize I get dissapointed in a fast way, Im sorry for been impulsive. So, I would really like to share what I have learned from my own experience, I just need to know something, is this the rightforum to discuss aura and its properties, or should I try to find another forum?

Well, it depends what you’re looking for, Sergio. What you will most likely find from people who post on this forum is a form of positive skepticism. This skepticism is firmly grounded in science, it is scientific skepticism to be precise. In this way, science does have something to say about “auras” as it appears you have described them. So, if you want the opinion of those that allow for the open minded process of scientific skepticism to aid in the understanding of “auras”, then there is something to offer. You may not like this process or disagree with the conclusion and that’s fine, it’s even better than that, if you can persuade then everyone gains.

But, if you simply want a sounding board to share with people who accept “auras” as a factual phenomenon as you describe, then in my opinion, you’ll loose out. I understand how real your experience is to you and there is nothing wrong with that, but lets accept that we make mistakes and there may be other explanations.

http://www.skepdic.com/auras.html 
http://www.skepdic.com/auratherapy.html
http://csicop.org/articles/20000420-aura/

Posted: 03 March 2008 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Ok, do you want to know how to learn to see it or feel it?  Have you ever asked your self why can you feel somebody‚Äôs presence in a room you just entered, or you feel when some one is looking at you from behind, have you ever had that kind of experiences?

Many times and have heard many explanations for this, but it would be interesting to hear another one, esp if it is on topic and is understandable.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 March 2008 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-02

Ok Mano, thank you for been such a good advicer and let me know what is the real point of writing posts in this site, I am writting from this web: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums  and I tought I was going to find another people who have had a natural and pure experiences with their own auras, and are not eager to believe in dogmas or religious things, or make certain rituals.to get divine powers, that is for me all a lie and a way to get money from the people. Since all in this website is based on a scientific point of view, I have nothing else to do in this forum. Thankyou and good bye.

[ Edited: 03 March 2008 09:26 PM by sergioxela ]

Posted: 04 March 2008 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
sergioxela - 03 March 2008 09:20 PM

Since all in this website is based on a scientific point of view, I have nothing else to do in this forum.

Interesting comment. I’ll call it an ostrich effect.

Posted: 04 March 2008 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2008-02-22
Mriana - 03 March 2008 05:56 PM

Not to sound sarcastic, but the only auras I know of are the ones that signal a migraine about to start. 

My sister says she experiences these which at times she finds a little scary. As part of the New York Times, Today’s Highlights (which was posted today), there is a presentation by Oliver Sacks called, Migraine Art

In his book “Migraine,” first published in 1970, Dr. Sacks presented a series of paintings depicting the visual phenomena various patients experienced during migraine auras. The paintings, he wrote, “are attempts at literal reproductions of the phenomena; they are not meant to be symbolic.”

Posted: 04 March 2008 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I doubt they are a phenomena.  It’s just the neurology of the brain going bonkers when one has a migraine coming on, IMO. It doesn’t frighten me, but when I see it OR I see little gnat-like dots, I know I better take something or I won’t be functioning.  That type of aura is a signal that something is about to make you feel bad and nothing more. I’m not sure, but Dr. Sacks sounds like a quack.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 04 March 2008 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-02

Ok, you might say “this guy never gives up” but I realize I made a test some time ago more than once to prove my self the existence of this field surrounding us (AURA). First I need to prepare the experiment in order to show you what I have seen, and you will be also able to see it because I will record it and put it on this page as an attachment or several attachments. By the way, do you know how plasma lamps works, cause I will use one of them in my test.

Posted: 22 March 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-22
Mriana - 04 March 2008 06:43 PM

I doubt they are a phenomena.  It’s just the neurology of the brain going bonkers when one has a migraine coming on, IMO. It doesn’t frighten me, but when I see it OR I see little gnat-like dots, I know I better take something or I won’t be functioning.  That type of aura is a signal that something is about to make you feel bad and nothing more. I’m not sure, but Dr. Sacks sounds like a quack.

I have read a few Sacks books and he does refer to things in a nostalgic way and often using terms like Phenomenon to describe rather mundane happenings. Phenomenon is defined as an unusual occurrence, Sacks is not implying something metaphysical.  In his books he has an excellent way of clarifying the strangeness and ambiguity of certain mental afflictions (i. e. Post encephalitic lethargica which was featured in the book Awakenings) for the lay reader while still keeping it scientific. His books are not strictly 100% medical diagnostics (otherwise they would be not to fun for the lay reader), for example in the previously mentioned book he goes to great length about his characters lives before the lethargy/Parkinson’s and how the affliction changed them personally also how it changed their family’s lives.

He draws correlations between afflictions and things such as Music and Art, but he does not claim to be able to cure or diagnose based on drawings and the like. He states observations. I DO however think that he does walk a fine line between science and mere speculation in some of his works. I was of the same opinion of Dr. Sacks until I read up on him, although I am always open to the possibility that I am wrong.

3 of 3