2 of 2
SWITCHING SIDES
Posted: 22 November 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

I think a just as important question is: “What would it take for those who believe in things such as ESP, alien visitation, etc. to admit that they may be wrong and that such things don’t exist?”  When phrased that way, they will start moving the goal posts, resort to special pleading and all sorts of mental gymnastics and logical fallacies in order to maintain their belief.  Their minds are the ones truly closed.  They are never open to the possibility that they might be wrong. 

Of course, I could be wrong.  wink

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 22 November 2010 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
Ibby14 - 20 November 2010 06:28 PM

What would it take for any of you to become a believer.

A stroke?

Maybe a combination LSD/Ecstasy overdose while inside a church?

raspberry

I’m old and crochety and set in my ways, dammit.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 22 November 2010 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
TromboneAndrew - 22 November 2010 04:05 PM

What would it take for any of you to become a believer.

A stroke?

Maybe a combination LSD/Ecstasy overdose while inside a church?

raspberry

I’m old and crochety and set in my ways, dammit.

I believe they now have lobotomy clinics to help the no-believers believe now. It’s great to believe in a magical Jesus again, so long as you don’t mind the constant drooling that you’d be doing.

Posted: 23 November 2010 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14
Rocinante - 22 November 2010 11:04 AM

I think a just as important question is: “What would it take for those who believe in things such as ESP, alien visitation, etc. to admit that they may be wrong and that such things don’t exist?”  When phrased that way, they will start moving the goal posts, resort to special pleading and all sorts of mental gymnastics and logical fallacies in order to maintain their belief.  Their minds are the ones truly closed.  They are never open to the possibility that they might be wrong.

I think the biggest part of the problem is that they watch too much fantasy on television and have trouble remembering that it’s fiction.  You can trace the “close-minded skeptic” back to the original Night Stalker television series.  Carl Kolchak was not the kind of person to believe in the supernatural without hard evidence, but in the series he kept stumbling over this evidence every time he turned around.  This caused a problem for the writers, namely his editors, police and other authority figures.  If they believed him, it would make his job too easy and the episode would be over too quick.  So the authority figures all had to be skeptics.  Which made sense the first episode or two, but you see the problem.  Every episode had more and more supernatural stuff, so the authority figures had to get more and more ridiculously, stubbornly, pathologically close-minded.  It was required for the premise.  By now, every fictional movie about the supernatural assumes the “pathologically close-minded skeptic” myth.

Posted: 23 November 2010 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

What would it take for any of you to become a believer

An explanatory model with strong predictive power.

Signature 

PC

2 of 2