1 of 9
“23andMe” only $99.
Posted: 26 November 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

A great Christmas present for your geek friends. The offer expires on the 29th of November, though. Check it out!

Posted: 26 November 2010 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I know the results are to be taken with a grain of salt, and always discussed with a doctor instead of “self interpreted” but it might be a fun little experiment to try the service.

I wonder how secure the company’s privacy is? If health insurers got a hold of the results, it could be a very bad thing. (Except you lucky people in Canada who don’t have to worry about healthcare!)

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 26 November 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Thanks George, It will help me with my family tree. I ordered one for me my brother and one of my sons. I was not willing to pay $499.00 for it. The health info I take with a large grain of salt. smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 November 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You’re welcome, Asanta. Let me know what you find—if you decide to share it publicly, of course.

Posted: 26 November 2010 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I’ve had time to think it over, and I just ordered a kit for myself and a kit for my husband. Will be an unusual gift under the tree this year, and kind of fun! I was going to order a kit for my kid too, but then I thought why bother at this point, we will sort of know what his makeup is by looking at our own results.  LOL  If we enjoy our own test results, next time there is a special coupon we can order one for the kid. Would be interesting to see “whose side of the family he takes after” and all.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 26 November 2010 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 26 November 2010 06:11 PM

You’re welcome, Asanta. Let me know what you find—if you decide to share it publicly, of course.

I will.  smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 November 2010 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05

Be careful Asanta. You might be related to Darth Cheney. snake

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 26 November 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 26 November 2010 10:48 PM

Or she could be related to me.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2010 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 26 November 2010 11:01 PM

grin That would be nice! Darth Cheney’s family comes from the wrong part of the country.. I was more afraid that I might be related to one of those east coast evangelical assholes who share one of my family names..luckily I’m not! But Steve McQueen is my 4th cousin once removed, and I am related to some rather famous wild west outlaws. smile Besides some Scottish royalty, those are the most interesting people I have shaken out of the old tree. One of the things I am looking for is NA ancestry. My cousins insist it is there, I say there is no evidence. If it is not too far back, it should show up as a partial percentage. In my ex’s family, there is a story of Asian ancestry. I am trying to see if that story pans out. The only ancestry I have found are African, Scottish and Italian…while 23andme won’t show THAT, it should be able to tell me if there is also NA ancestry.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 November 2010 09:55 AM
Mriana - 26 November 2010 11:01 PM

grin That would be nice! Darth Cheney’s family comes from the wrong part of the country.. I was more afraid that I might be related to one of those east coast evangelical assholes who share one of my family names..luckily I’m not! But Steve McQueen is my 4th cousin once removed, and I am related to some rather famous wild west outlaws. smile Besides some Scottish royalty, those are the most interesting people I have shaken out of the old tree. One of the things I am looking for is NA ancestry. My cousins insist it is there, I say there is no evidence. If it is not too far back, it should show up as a partial percentage. In my ex’s family, there is a story of Asian ancestry. I am trying to see if that story pans out. The only ancestry I have found are African, Scottish and Italian…while 23andme won’t show THAT, it should be able to tell me if there is also NA ancestry.

Any Prescotts, Sanders, Kendalls, Minots, Minors, Gibsons, Browns, only to ask about a few?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2010 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Not a one. downer So far…I’ll keep looking! Any of your family from the East Coast? From SC, Myrtle Beach area or NC Durham area?

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 November 2010 05:58 PM

Not a one. downer So far…I’ll keep looking! Any of your family from the East Coast? From SC, Myrtle Beach area or NC Durham area?

No, not since the Pilgrims stepped foot on the continent and the Revolutionary War (yes, I’m a DAR, but I won’t join, even though they keep trying to get me to join).  They went to Peducah KY sometime after that and fought on both sides of the Civil War.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 November 2010 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Mriana - 27 November 2010 06:04 PM

(yes, I’m a DAR, but I won’t join, even though they keep trying to get me to join).

That is interesting Mriana. My grandmother was a DAR, but also refused to join. She traced her family tree back to Capt. John Smith of Pocahontas fame. She found another ancestor who was a nurse during the Civil War, and operated a cannon after the regular cannoneer was killed in battle.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 November 2010 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 27 November 2010 06:15 PM

(yes, I’m a DAR, but I won’t join, even though they keep trying to get me to join).

That is interesting Mriana. My grandmother was a DAR, but also refused to join. She traced her family tree back to Capt. John Smith of Pocahontas fame. She found another ancestor who was a nurse during the Civil War, and operated a cannon after the regular cannoneer was killed in battle.

I’m a DAR too, but I refuse to even put in an application. Some of my cousins belong to the organization. A branch of the family has a land grant dating back to King George II for acreage which is still in the family.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2010 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 November 2010 06:55 PM
DarronS - 27 November 2010 06:15 PM

I’m a DAR too, but I refuse to even put in an application. Some of my cousins belong to the organization. A branch of the family has a land grant dating back to King George II for acreage which is still in the family.

I know what you mean.  They keep trying to get me to join, but I don’t know why.  What is the purpose?

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 November 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Mriana - 27 November 2010 07:38 PM

I know what you mean.  They keep trying to get me to join, but I don’t know why.  What is the purpose?

My grandmother didn’t join because she considered the DAR a bunch of snooty old women. She was in her eighties when she told me that.  LOL

Signature 

1 of 9