2 of 9
“23andMe” only $99.
Posted: 27 November 2010 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 27 November 2010 07:40 PM
Mriana - 27 November 2010 07:38 PM

I know what you mean.  They keep trying to get me to join, but I don’t know why.  What is the purpose?

My grandmother didn’t join because she considered the DAR a bunch of snooty old women. She was in her eighties when she told me that.  LOL

She was right, they are.  So again, what is the purpose?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2010 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

That was pretty much Grandma’s take on it. She knew her heritage, so why hang out with a bunch of old women who thought they were better than other people just because their ancestors were original colonists?

FWIW, my grandmother taught at the last one-room school house in Texas. Kinky Friedman was one of her students. After that school closed she taught at Tivy Elementary in Kerrville, TX. Her father was the first postmaster in Ingram, TX, and owned a grocery store that made deliveries to outlying Hill Country towns. I have seen wagon tracks in the Guadalupe River great granddad and other people made while traveling between towns. The building where my grandmother was born in Ingram is still standing. Last time I checked it was an art gallery. That’s cool enough for me.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 November 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 27 November 2010 07:58 PM

That was pretty much Grandma’s take on it. She knew her heritage, so why hang out with a bunch of old women who thought they were better than other people just because their ancestors were original colonists?

FWIW, my grandmother taught at the last one-room school house in Texas. Kinky Friedman was one of her students. After that school closed she taught at Tivy Elementary in Kerrville, TX. Her father was the first postmaster in Ingram, TX, and owned a grocery store that made deliveries to outlying Hill Country towns. I have seen wagon tracks in the Guadalupe River great granddad and other people made while traveling between towns. The building where my grandmother was born in Ingram is still standing. Last time I checked it was an art gallery. That’s cool enough for me.

That’s just it.  I don’t think I’m better than anyone in the States just because I had ancestors on the Mayflower, as well as Prescotts who came to the State, all before they were states of course nor do I feel better than anyone else because I’m a “DAR” or had ancestors in the Civil War.  I have American Indian in my family tree too.  So what?  I can trace my family tree clear back to Nottingham (yeah, we have an ancestor who was sheriff of Nottingham, but he wasn’t the one of legend).  Who really cares?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

All of my ancestors (that I have been able to trace so far from NC or SC) were here before 1776—-either as slaves, slave owners(whose slaves I am not descended from) or the product of relationships between enslaver and enslaved…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 November 2010 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 November 2010 08:19 PM

All of my ancestors (that I have been able to trace so far from NC or SC) were here before 1776—-either as slaves, slave owners(whose slaves I am not descended from) or the product of relationships between enslaver and enslaved…

Yeah, that is what I told my sons would be the case if they were to trace their dad’s side.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 November 2010 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No doubt.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I would worry about giving DNA samples away too easily to any organization. Somebody could copy your DNA and leave it at a crime scene.

As for ancestor organizations, I can see that most of their clients think that their services are for seeking for ancestors when their actual goal is to collect data. In fact, they likely can’t build an ancestor database without getting data through other people doing searches.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 27 November 2010 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Scott Mayers - 27 November 2010 11:10 PM

I would worry about giving DNA samples away too easily to any organization. Somebody could copy your DNA and leave it at a crime scene.

I’m not that paranoid.

As for ancestor organizations, I can see that most of their clients think that their services are for seeking for ancestors when their actual goal is to collect data. In fact, they likely can’t build an ancestor database without getting data through other people doing searches.

True, but that is not what I am looking for. I know where most of my ancestors are/were and who they are/were, they were pretty easy to find.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2010 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Watch out for the suspiciously looking barber next time you cut your hair. God knows what he uses your hair for. wink

Posted: 28 November 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 28 November 2010 08:28 AM

Watch out for the suspiciously looking barber next time you cut your hair. God knows what he uses your hair for. wink

And how well do you really know your co-workers, and your doctor and your ‘friends’...

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2010 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
George - 28 November 2010 08:28 AM

Or the routine bloodwork at your annual physical! The Quest Labs chain probably has enough blood samples from me to frame me as serial killer LOL

I’d be more concerned about health insurers getting the info, but I think a law passed recently barring them from denying coverage based on genetic info. Also, I read the 23andMe privacy policy and was pleased with their privacy standards. It looks like they destroy the samples after coding them, and only turn over private information if requested by a court order.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 November 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 29 November 2010 04:15 PM

Or the routine bloodwork at your annual physical! The Quest Labs chain probably has enough blood samples from me to frame me as serial killer LOL

Wow! You have Quest Lab out there too? I guess it is a national chain!

I’d be more concerned about health insurers getting the info, but I think a law passed recently barring them from denying coverage based on genetic info. Also, I read the 23andMe privacy policy and was pleased with their privacy standards. It looks like they destroy the samples after coding them, and only turn over private information if requested by a court order.

...yes, and it is unlikely that either me, my brother or son would do anything the law would be interested in, other than the occasional parking ticket.

[ Edited: 29 November 2010 10:13 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2010 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Yes Asanta, we have Quest Labs out here too. Are they sort of ramshackle and disorderly, out where you are too? My doctor’s office switched this year to the local hospital’s lab instead - she was so frustrated with Quest. I’ve actually found the hospital lab to be much nicer service. Appointments are on time and the facilities are clean and orderly. Quest offices around here were always dingy and disorderly, old equipment, rude technicians, long wait times. The local hospital lab is much nicer!

Maybe the Quest Labs are nicer in other areas.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 November 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No, they are rather dingy here too. The one I use never has long lines. I can usually get out of there in about 15-20min. Hmm, maybe other patients avoid it??? I’ve never had a problem with them or their blood draw technique.

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Personally, I don’t like any of the vampires- hospitals or otherwise.  I have small veins and they rarely find them, but when they do…  Even when I was in labour, my veins kept infiltrating until they decided I need an infant needle.  So I bruise something awful unless they can use a small needle on me.  So having blood drawn is often a nightmare, no matter where I go.  sigh.

Signature 

Mriana

2 of 9