3 of 9
“23andMe” only $99.
Posted: 03 December 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

My only annoyance so far - they charged me over $20 for shipping from California to the NY area, and they used the CHEAPEST and SLOWEST shipping method that exists! It’s that hybrid UPS/Post Office service shipping. It may take two weeks for it to arrive. If they sent it regular UPS ground, it would take six days. For $20 shipping, I expect a freaking overnight package and some flowers too.

Asanta you are in California you should get yours quickly smile Mine is going cross country.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 December 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 26 November 2010 02:01 PM

A great Christmas present for your geek friends. The offer expires on the 29th of November, though. Check it out!

The sale was extended through Xmas…

Posted: 04 December 2010 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 03 December 2010 05:08 PM

Asanta you are in California you should get yours quickly smile Mine is going cross country.

I ordered it right after seeing George’s post…..still waiting….I’ll let you know when I receive it.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 December 2010 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Hooray I got my package today!  They must have put the package on a plane. I was sure it wouldn’t arrive until later in the week. The tracking number just said “in transit” for last several days.  LOL

Asanta I hope you got yours, since you are closer to the warehouse than me!

It was fun to open the kit and register it online. I’m taking all the surveys that help them do research. Tomorrow I’ll mail in my DNA. The second kit is gift-wrapped and under the tree for Hubby’s Christmas gift. I just want to get mine back to the lab before the Christmas rush - selfish of me, I know, not to wait for hubby! But hey, I paid for it!  wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 07 December 2010 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I got mine last week, but I still haven’t had time to send it back.

Posted: 07 December 2010 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I received my a few days ago, but I haven’t had a chance to either register or return it. I hope to do it in the next day or so!  grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 December 2010 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Are you, guys, having trouble logging into your 23andMe account? I have now registered my kit, but am unable to log in. I am thinking (hopping) my the account will become available once they receive the sample (?). I have sent them an e-mail but they won’t probably respond until Monday.

Posted: 11 December 2010 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 11 December 2010 09:22 AM

Are you, guys, having trouble logging into your 23andMe account? I have now registered my kit, but am unable to log in. I am thinking (hopping) my the account will become available once they receive the sample (?). I have sent them an e-mail but they won’t probably respond until Monday.

When you go to 23andMe.com, there is a little blue “login” at the top to click—then you need a username password.  You should be able to log on (okay I’m not an expert but I think if you know your username password you are good to go).  Send me a PM if you need more help.  I checked it and logged me on.

Posted: 11 December 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, doesn’t work for me. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Posted: 11 December 2010 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

George if you cannot log in email help@23andme.com for customer service. Says they usually respond within one business day. I was able to register my account, pick a password, and log in. So unless they were having website trouble that particular time, it appears to be working.

Password is probably case sensitive, so make sure you’re using capital or lowercase letters just the same as you set it up. (I am sure you know that already though, being the computer-savvy person you are!)

Or you can try clicking “forgot password” next to the log-in area. Whether you forgot it or not, sometimes resetting it can do the trick if a log-in is not working. Gives a fresh start.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

A nice surprise - I was speaking to my mother who lives across the country, and I told her about the genetic kits I ordered. She became tearful and choked up, and it took her a minute to tell me why.

She said that shortly before my father died, he had been planning to order the DNA kits for our entire family as a surprise. The kits were over $1,000 then, so it truly would have been a huge surprise for all five of us! She said he was so excited about the new technology available to the public, and the possibilities of knowing a little bit about our family DNA.

Even though Dad never had a chance to do the DNA testing, I will have him on my mind when I receive my results. I will be smiling, thinking of how excited he would have been!

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
Jules - 11 December 2010 02:01 PM

A nice surprise - I was speaking to my mother who lives across the country, and I told her about the genetic kits I ordered. She became tearful and choked up, and it took her a minute to tell me why.

She said that shortly before my father died, he had been planning to order the DNA kits for our entire family as a surprise. The kits were over $1,000 then, so it truly would have been a huge surprise for all five of us! She said he was so excited about the new technology available to the public, and the possibilities of knowing a little bit about our family DNA.

Even though Dad never had a chance to do the DNA testing, I will have him on my mind when I receive my results. I will be smiling, thinking of how excited he would have been!

I was going to surprise my mom at Xmas as well—- I’ll let you know how it goes.  It sounds like you hit a home run!

Posted: 11 December 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Yes I am glad the $99 offer was extended through Christmas. What a nice holiday it will be for all!

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 11 December 2010 01:53 PM

George if you cannot log in email help@23andme.com for customer service. Says they usually respond within one business day. I was able to register my account, pick a password, and log in. So unless they were having website trouble that particular time, it appears to be working.

Password is probably case sensitive, so make sure you’re using capital or lowercase letters just the same as you set it up. (I am sure you know that already though, being the computer-savvy person you are!)

Or you can try clicking “forgot password” next to the log-in area. Whether you forgot it or not, sometimes resetting it can do the trick if a log-in is not working. Gives a fresh start.

I have tried it all. Nothing seems to help.  confused   Hopefully they’ll respond soon.

Posted: 15 December 2010 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Interesting article from Ronald Bailey: I’ll Show You My Genome. Will You Show Me Yours?

Michael Cariaso, developer of the human genetics wiki SNPedia and the online gene analysis tool Promethease, has helped thousands of people unlock the secrets of their own genetic code. But when it comes to making his own gene screening tests publicly available for all the world to see, Cariaso prefers to hold the key close to his vest, worrying that such transparency might lead to personal embarrassment or discrimination by insurance companies or future employers. “Someone later might discover,” he says, “that I have genes for a short penis and low intelligence.”

And here is something to think about:

Some time before the end of this decade, kids are going to be running gene scans and maybe even whole genome sequencing experiments in their ninth-grade biology classes, just the way some of us did blood typing experiments back in the mid-20th century. Then they are going to share that information with their friends on whatever social media follow Facebook and Twitter, and they’ll do it without parental consent. Nerdy high school sweethearts might swap DNA profiles and run them through computer programs designed to predict what their potential children might look like. In the process, of course, they will also be sharing information about their parents’ genes.

Would the knowledge on a person’s genome help one to fall in love with that individual? Probably not, since our “love radar” doesn’t operate on that level; well, it does, but we are not really aware of it. As I already said in another thread, this century will be a lot of fun.

3 of 9