MUSIC: Imelda May
Posted: 02 December 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

** Thought I’d post this over here too ***

I saw this woman on BBC News a while back and have since been checking out her YouTube vids ... she’s awesome:

Mayhem:
Imelda May - Mayhem [Official]

Big Bad Handsome Man
Imelda May - Big Bad Handsome Man

Psycho
Imelda May - Psycho [Official]

Johnny’s Got A Boom Boom:
Imelda May- Johnny’s Got A Boom Boom

Very, very cool ... I think I may be buying a couple of CD’s.

I don’t make a habit of watching Jools Holland (I’m guessing few non-Brits know who he is but, to be honest, I think he’s a bit up himself) but I think this was the performance the news program played and what led me start looking for her on YouTube:

Imelda May - Jool’s Holland Show

You know what I picked up from that (and I’ve no idea if it’s a set-up or not)? Jeff Beck (presumably the fairly legendary guitarist Jeff Beck ... at least as far as I know) was there to see Imelda May ... I mean she’s (relatively speaking) a nobody!! How cool is that?

There’s also an interview with her on Gabriel Byrne’s (yuk!) Late Show which includes another version of “Johnny Got A Boom Boom”.

Imelda May - Late Show

It may come as no surprise that my favourite song of hers is “Johnny’s Got A Boom Boom” and she’s definitely on my Amazon Christmas Wish List smile

Keke

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 20 February 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-20

I love her. She grew up close to were I live. Hopefully she will be huge. Check her out if you haven’t heard her music.

Posted: 23 April 2011 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-04-23

Just saw a PBS-aired special with Jeff Beck doing a tribute to Les Paul.  Imelda was handling the Mary Ford parts, and quite nicely.  My wife is a singer and she was impressed.

Posted: 23 April 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Bikwer - 23 April 2011 08:26 AM

Just saw a PBS-aired special with Jeff Beck doing a tribute to Les Paul.  Imelda was handling the Mary Ford parts, and quite nicely.  My wife is a singer and she was impressed.

Beck hangs with terrific talent. May will be added to my playlists but I do like Winehouse and her band better (cooler, IMO).

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 25 April 2011 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05

This is great music. I checked her web site, and to no surprise it mentions Elmore James and Billie Holliday as big influences. If you like psychobilly surf punk you’ll love Imelda May. Sigh. Even more stuff on my iTunes wish list. grin

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.