2 of 4
The Future of Atheism: Beyond the Question of God
Posted: 05 December 2010 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-20
ltothexo - 05 December 2010 08:04 PM

Sometime you realize it before you finish the puzzle; in other times, at the end.  Just like what happened with Darwin.

The Lady Hope myth.

Posted: 05 December 2010 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-11-21
Occam. - 05 December 2010 08:29 PM

I’m fascinated by people who take everything literally and who appear to have essentially no sense of humor.  I thought ExMachina’s purposful twist of the common saying was quite clever, Itothexo.

And if you are also hinting that Darwin became a believer at the end, I seem to have seen that it’s apocryphal.

Occam

I had a bit of a chuckle of ExMachina signature and I do have a sense of humor.  That is why I entered the correct quote.

I included the line of Darwin because one of my non believer friend told me about it and I thought I could throw that in to remind him if he ever get to read the post.

Signature 

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to make philosophers convincing enough to make you believe there is no such thing as a soul.

Posted: 05 December 2010 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-21
asanta - 05 December 2010 08:13 PM

Unfortunately society has dampened the line as to what is morally sound when it comes to homosexuality.

Explain please.

You are born with your sexual preferences, and it is a sliding scale, few people are totally homo or heterosexual.

Well you pretty much proved my point with your response to the scale.  If it is a sliding scale then the introduction of preferences could move it in either direction.  How could it be that some one that is a flamboyant homosexual could turn into a normal person.  My friend does a perfect interpretation of a homosexual and he is not gay.  I believe it to be true with others.  If in fact you are born with it.  then hormonal treatment can cure it.

I respect your position, just want to share mine.

[edited to correct quotation markers so itothhexo’s statement isn’t mistaken for being made by Asanta.]

[ Edited: 05 December 2010 11:27 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to make philosophers convincing enough to make you believe there is no such thing as a soul.

Posted: 05 December 2010 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Please clean up your quotes. I don’t not want people to think I would take such a vile position. hmmm

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 December 2010 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ltothexo - 05 December 2010 09:13 PM

Well you pretty much proved my point with your response to the scale.  If it is a sliding scale then the introduction of preferences could move it in either direction.  How could it be that some one that is a flamboyant homosexual could turn into a normal person.

A ‘flamboyant homosexual’ is normal.

My friend does a perfect interpretation of a homosexual and he is not gay.

I can do a perfect interpretation of my dad. I am neither my dad, nor am I a man. So what. When a gay man, or lesbian woman does a ‘perfect interpretation’ of a ‘straight’ person, it means absolutely nothing. It says nothing about their sexual preferences. It could be their usual personality. Not all gay men are ‘flamboyant’, not all lesbians are ‘butch’.

I believe it to be true with others.  If in fact you are born with it.  then hormonal treatment can cure it.

This statement shows how incredibly ignorant you are on this subject.

I respect your position, just want to share mine.

I cannot respect willful and bigoted ignorance.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 December 2010 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-21

Thank you for showing your true nature.  You do not know me. It may be that I do need to read up on the subject although it is idiosyncratic.  Enlighten me on the subject then.  Do you suggest anything I could read?  I do, the Bible.  Oh by the way I have 3 gay friends and I treat all my friends the same, being that they are white, black, women or gay. Do you do the same?

Also before you use a word like “bigoted ignorance” find out its true meaning.

Bigoted—utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one’s own.

Ignorance—lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

[ Edited: 05 December 2010 11:20 PM by ltothexo ]
 Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2010 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m sure Asanta is only judging you by your prior posts, and to that extent both she and I know you.  I read the bible through when I was a child, and I loved it.  I had read and enjoyed most of the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Swiss, etc. mythology so when my aunt gave me a child’s bible I found it another delightful source of mythology.  As an adult, I felt I had to read it if people were going to challenge my atheism, and I found it still complete fairytales, but sillier and less fun than it was for a child. 

I believe a major cry of the bigot after making a discriminatory remark is, “One of my best friends is _______.” 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 December 2010 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-21
RBH_III - 05 December 2010 08:40 PM

Sometime you realize it before you finish the puzzle; in other times, at the end.  Just like what happened with Darwin.

The Lady Hope myth.

Really, we could mythify anything then.  Thanks for the post.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2010 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

ltothexo

“The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to make philosophers convincing enough to make you believe there is no such thing as a soul.

And what, pray tell, is a soul?  Knowledge of God or knowledge of self?

[ Edited: 06 December 2010 04:00 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 December 2010 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-07-16
ltothexo - 05 December 2010 10:56 PM

Thank you for showing your true nature.  You do not know me. It may be that I do need to read up on the subject although it is idiosyncratic.  Enlighten me on the subject then.  Do you suggest anything I could read?  I do, the Bible. Oh by the way I have 3 gay friends and I treat all my friends the same, being that they are white, black, women or gay. Do you do the same?

Also before you use a word like “bigoted ignorance” find out its true meaning.

Bigoted—utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one’s own.

Ignorance—lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

Bullshit.

It is clear you don’t treat your gay “friends” the same, nor I suspect your black ones or female ones. After all, do you say in an argument “I have 3 straight friends” as some sort of license to dump on straight people? Do you use your straight friends as human shields? Do you call their preference for male-female sex disgusting?

Posted: 06 December 2010 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-21

Sorry but I’m transparent as they come.  We can not escape from the culture that we come from.  Although I look white, I’m married with a Native America and I’m Latino.  I’m not dumping on homosexuals but do believe that given a morally sound upbringing, choices of life preference would be different.  Certain religious and socials groups do in what it seams have a no tolerance to homosexuality.  I may believe in some of the values they represent, I do not belong to any of them.  I actually look at the person inside, stripping away what they look like and their sexual preference. My friends do the same and clearly know my stand on the topic.  This does not affect our bond, my friends are more rational then most defending the topic here on the forums.

“So we’re different colours and we’re different creeds; different people have different needs.  It’s obvious you hate me though I’ve done nothing wrong.  I’ve never ever met you so what could I have done. I can’t understand what makes a man hate another man help me understand”—Gore, Martin L

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-16
ltothexo - 06 December 2010 06:57 AM

Sorry but I’m transparent as they come.  We can not escape from the culture that we come from.  Although I look white, I’m married with a Native America and I’m Latino.  I’m not dumping on homosexuals but do believe that given a morally sound upbringing, choices of life preference would be different.  Certain religious and socials groups do in what it seams have a no tolerance to homosexuality.  I may believe in some of the values they represent, I do not belong to any of them.  I actually look at the person inside, stripping away what they look like and their sexual preference. My friends do the same and clearly know my stand on the topic.  This does not affect our bond, my friends are more rational then most defending the topic here on the forums.

“So we’re different colours and we’re different creeds; different people have different needs.  It’s obvious you hate me though I’ve done nothing wrong.  I’ve never ever met you so what could I have done. I can’t understand what makes a man hate another man help me understand”—Gore, Martin L

Or alternatively they don’t call you on your bullshit. You are dumping on homosexuals, and using your gay friends to do it. If you are anti-gay that’s one thing, there are a lot of people like that, but to get called on it and raise your friends to say “Hey I am no bigot”? That’s cowardly.

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-21

And what, pray tell, is a soul?  Knowledge of God or knowledge of self?

eg. would be that it is what prevents you from getting to sleep when you have done something wrong.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-16

On the original topic:

There is no future of atheism beyond the question of God, and nor should there be. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods, so once that’s settled the issue goes the way of all victorious civil rights movements - irrelevance.

Posted: 06 December 2010 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Bruce has the right idea here, folks. Let’s try to get back to discussion of the program.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

2 of 4