1 of 3
Atheists underrepresented in U.S. prison system?
Posted: 19 December 2010 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-20

I cam across this blog post by by Ricky Gervais earlier this morning. Posted on the WSJ blog. Ricky, it appears, is an atheists and he outlines the reasons why in this post. Good man. But that’s beside the point. My question to the community is whether you know of the source Ricky quotes towards the end of paragraph 13:

“Well, nearly, 75 percent of Americans are God­‐fearing Christians; 75 percent of prisoners are God‐fearing Christians. 10 percent of Americans are atheists; 0.2 percent of prisoners are atheists.”

I seem to remember reading somewhere that no one had done studies like this. Even seem to remember the author saying that he’d be interested to see the results of such a study as he had a hunch the above would be true.

Ring a bell for anyone? Curious as to the validity of the argument.

Cheers.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I’m An Atheist
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

Posted: 19 December 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4297
Joined  2010-08-15

sorry, haven’t got a clue.

But, your post reminded me of the old saying “There are no atheists in foxholes”. . .  although a few (I imagine) excellent books have put that nonsense to rest.

Beyond that, if there are figures about prisoner faithfulness, it probably comes from the evangelicals who crawl prisons like maggots on a carcass.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 19 December 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I would take the percentages of atheists in the prisons with a grain of salt. Everyone knows that your chances of parole go WAY up if you find Jebus and become a mindless drone of religion. I would jump through any hoop necessary to get a parole, even if it meant putting on the religious robes for a while and lie like a dog!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 December 2010 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

No idea where the statistic comes from, but I have heard it several times in the past. FWIW.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 December 2010 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think Asanta nailed it.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 December 2010 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

I’ve heard the same same percentages on TV and thought the same way Asanta did. The last thing I need is some jackass sticking a knife in me in the name of Jesus.

Posted: 21 December 2010 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 20 December 2010 11:41 PM

I’ve heard the same same percentages on TV and thought the same way Asanta did. The last thing I need is some jackass sticking a knife in me in the name of Jesus.

Exactly!! oh oh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 December 2010 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve seen so much crap on this it’s amazing.  Everything from nearly everyone in prison is an atheist to nearly no one is.  Who knows?  Hell, who cares?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 21 December 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

I highly recommend the basic link in the initial post!—there is a lot more than this one point.

Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”

Posted: 23 December 2010 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

If anyone wants to donate freethought books for prisoners, I recommend Books Through Bars (http://www.booksthroughbars.org) and other prison book programs (http://www.booksthroughbars.org/pbp/ ).

BTB sends inmates free books on request, but they DON’T stock religious books.  That policy, I was told, is because other prisoner nonprofits offer religious books—sometimes to the exclusion of nonreligious ones—but I also think this group prefers to promote secularity anyway.

The BTB branch I’ve helped with in NYC (http://www.abcnorio.org/affiliated/btb.html ) already has a healthy collection of freethought books, but more would always be welcome, there and elsewhere.

Posted: 02 January 2011 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-07-16

If I remember correctly it was first quoted here:

http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

Posted: 03 January 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
asanta - 19 December 2010 11:05 PM

I would take the percentages of atheists in the prisons with a grain of salt. Everyone knows that your chances of parole go WAY up if you find Jebus and become a mindless drone of religion. I would jump through any hoop necessary to get a parole, even if it meant putting on the religious robes for a while and lie like a dog!

I’ve also heard that a lot of times prisoners can get breaks to meet with religious clerics or for religious services, which they take advantage of, if not necessarily because of faith, but simply to break the monotony on prison life.

Posted: 03 January 2011 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
skuld - 03 January 2011 11:03 AM

I’ve also heard that a lot of times prisoners can get breaks to meet with religious clerics or for religious services, which they take advantage of, if not necessarily because of faith, but simply to break the monotony on prison life.

So long as it keeps the guy with 2 Y chromosomes away from me, I’m all for it.

Posted: 03 January 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 03 January 2011 03:25 PM

Do you mean the XXYs, but you are ok with the XYs. I’d have to look it up, but I’ve never heard of an XYY!

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2011 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
asanta - 03 January 2011 04:07 PM
ExMachina - 03 January 2011 03:25 PM

Do you mean the XXYs, but you are ok with the XYs. I’d have to look it up, but I’ve never heard of an XYY!

Are absolutely sure about this?

Posted: 03 January 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 03 January 2011 04:47 PM

Are absolutely sure about this?

Ooh! I see there ARE XYYs LOL! Mother nature is mean!!

Signature 

1 of 3