2 of 2
Can you create a Cult?
Posted: 20 February 2011 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2011-02-20

I can show you how, but only in person - how soon can you sell all your possessions and bring all your money to my compound?

Posted: 20 February 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4767
Joined  2007-10-05

It ain’t that hard. One of my uncles did it in the 1980s. He convinced a few dozen people Jeezus was returning anydaynow. They sold all their possessions and waited in his house for two weeks. Jeezus never showed up. The only reason he didn’t get his ass sued is because they first thing they teach in lawyer school is never sue anyone who doesn’t have any money. vampire

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 February 2011 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01
DarronS - 20 February 2011 10:30 PM

It ain’t that hard. One of my uncles did it in the 1980s. He convinced a few dozen people Jeezus was returning anydaynow. They sold all their possessions and waited in his house for two weeks. Jeezus never showed up. The only reason he didn’t get his ass sued is because they first thing they teach in lawyer school is never sue anyone who doesn’t have any money. vampire

Sounds like good advice. Although, didn’t he have all of THEIR money? Even if they did sue, he could have gotten a high priced lawyer with his newly discovered Jesus fund.

Posted: 21 February 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 20 February 2011 10:30 PM

What was his excuse? Did he ‘save the world’ or did Jeezuz change his mind? If he changed his mind, why didn’t they let him know before they bankrupted themselves?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 February 2011 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4767
Joined  2007-10-05

None of them had anything that amounted to much. This uncle has never been successful at anything.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 February 2011 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think Darron’s example points out that cult leaders fall into two distinct classes:  the con men who want power, wealth and control; and the charismatic crackpots who get a strange delusion and convince other people to accept it but don’t necessarily profit.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 2