2 of 2
The Ancient Art of Japanese Eyeball Poking
Posted: 04 January 2011 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
mckenzievmd - 03 January 2011 07:43 PM

I congratulated the author of the original article on a parody in the noble tradition of Jonathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal. The fact that people sometimes miss that it’s a parody is a testament both to how well-written it is and to how ridiculous so much “real” woo is!

yea, that’s what I was thinking

citizenschallenge.pm - 02 January 2011 01:36 PM

Guess they never watched The Three Stooges.
Echos of Jonathan Swift….

but then I got all confused.

...Although, you know, light pressure on the eye balls can be nice, add a cool compress and I guess it can be heavenly.
And I do recall something about Salvador Dali commenting in an interview about loving the patterns dancing in his vision, when he pressed on his closed eye lids.  And heck, I can see what he means…
gentle pressure, no poking

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 January 2011 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Pressure on the eyes can stimulate the vagus nerve, which has a number of effects including slowing the heart rate. But don’t tell anybody, or this eyeball poking thing might catch on! grin

Everything in the body is connected to other stuff, which is why the idea of a treatment with no side effects is ridiculous. The hard part is getting the affect you want in one place without getting another effect you don’t want somewhere else.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 04 January 2011 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mckenzievmd - 04 January 2011 09:58 AM

Pressure on the eyes can stimulate the vagus nerve, which has a number of effects including slowing the heart rate. But don’t tell anybody, or this eyeball poking thing might catch on! grin

Everything in the body is connected to other stuff, which is why the idea of a treatment with no side effects is ridiculous. The hard part is getting the affect you want in one place without getting another effect you don’t want somewhere else.

Yes, you can ice the underarms and groin with the same affects. Be we don’t do that anymore in hospitals.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 February 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-10

LOL That has made my day! I’m an instructor and my class is doing exams right now and I had to run out to laugh.

You know the saying “Now I’ve heard it all” Well I stopped saying that because of things like this.

Woo Hoo hilarious. Couldn’t stop crying I laughed so hard.

Signature 

Live….Love….Learn

2 of 2