My Impromptu visit to CFI
Posted: 18 September 2006 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-06-17

Freethinking friends and the CFI Staff,

Today I was on route to a business meeting in Nashville and was delayed in Buffalo so I took the opportunity to cruise over to the Center for Inquiry office in Amherst, NY which is only about 12 minutes from the airport next to the University at Buffalo.

To my amazement I was greeted after only about 30 seconds by a smiling Debbie Goddard who had been volunteering with CFI for a couple years and just 3 months ago was hired as a full time field staff employee to help organize campus outreach events across the country. Debbie was a wonderfully informed and passionate tour guide and she spent almost 2 1/2 hours with me including a great little sit down philosophical exchange.

Debbie also introduced me to my favourite Point of Inquiry podcast stars Lauren Becker, DJ Groethe and the producer Thomas Donnelly who gave me an advance copy of the latest Free Inquiry magazine which is produced on site and distributed to an impressive 100,000 people world wide. I also saw Tom Flynn in his office, and David Koepsell too. Unfortunately, Joe Nickel was away and the big kahuna Paul Kurtz was in FL for a speaking engagement.

After meeting the crew and seeing firsthand where the best humanist podcast on the net is produced, Debbie took me to the world╠s largest library onsite of skeptic, humanist and atheist material. I even got to go into the rare books archive and hold a couple of original Thomas Paine and Robert Ingersoll books that dated back as far as 1792. It was a great experience despite a mediocre review that I had heard from one other that had attended the CFI headquarters albeit in years past. I suppose the tour guide and the classy new CFI digs makes all the difference! A visit to the new CFI is something every secular humanist should take the time to do. Scratch that, not just every secular humanist, every person of faith as well!

While I was at CFI, I signed up to become a Friend of the Center, mainly to get access to the great speaker series they have scheduled for this fall but also to contribute to the organization that is certainly doing the most of any in the world for the advancement of critical thinking. They have a fabulous brand new facility for presentations, public speaking engagements and as I learned, pot luck dinners that they also host there to my surprise.

While I was chatting with Debbie, I tooted our own SOFREE star Dr. DiCarlo╠s horn quite loudly, and suggested to Debbie that since CFI is looking for quality speakers that they should get in touch with the TVO presenter series award winner at http://www.cdicarlo.com. Don╠t be surprised Chris if you here from CFI soon!

It was a truly inspirational experience to the point that makes me wish I was independently wealthy so I could work for free at CFI myself or at least have the time to enroll in the Science and the Public Masters Program they are running at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). To be surrounded by such brilliant and PRODUCTIVE minds on a daily basis with the focus of fundamentally enlightening world views would have to be the most rewarding journey one could possibly embark upon.

Stephen Bieda
Fenwick, ON Canada

Posted: 19 September 2006 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

What a great report, Stephen, especially for those of us (present company included) who haven’t yet been up to Buffalo. At least we get to go vicariously.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

Posted: 20 September 2006 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Did you start this post in two locations?

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 20 September 2006 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, thread duplication is a problem. I’m trying to combat it ... have deleted the second thread.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 September 2006 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-06-17

Cross Posting

Sorry my enthusiasm took over and was not thinking about the cross posting faux pas thing.

Posted: 21 September 2006 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Cross Posting

[quote author=“sbieda”]Sorry my enthusiasm took over and was not thinking about the cross posting faux pas thing.

No worries. Just something that we’ve got to watch as the board gets bigger.

Signature 

Doug