...  My goals in this life are:
To bring understanding, where there is hatred;
To bring healing, where there is injury;
To supply knowledge, where there is doubt;
To bring hope, where there is despair;
To bring a smile, where there is sadness;
To be loving, forgiving, compassionate, and generous;
    And above all,
To leave the world a slightly better place than I found it.

Excellent sentiments.  We should be pushing to replace the barbaric 10 commandments in their various incarnations with your two lists.  Interestingly enough the liberal self-proclaimed christians more or less try to live by these ideas.  Only those relatively few like Dan Barker who actually read the “good book” seem to eventually come to an understanding of how cruel, evil, and contrary to a lot of current criminal law most of the bible actually is.

I also like these sentiments. But I would change the first one slightly. Instead of “To bring understanding, where there is hatred” I would say “to bring love, where there is hatred.” Understanding of hatred does not contribute to its elimination.

[ Edited: 26 August 2011 06:48 PM by Ludwik Kowalski ]
 Signature 

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia), a retired nuclear physicist from New Jersey, USA. A am also the author of a FREE ONLINE book: “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is an autobiography based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

Posted: 27 August 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Ludwik, please try to avoid essentially duplicate posts.  Your last one mostly just deleted part of the quotation and you gave the same response.  It would be much better if you edited one to include your ideas and deleted the other of them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 September 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2011-09-02

501(c)(3) charity? ranked right next to religious organizations as tax exempted. Not bad!  I guess the plan is to be a Educational charity in slamming the Religious charity, my, my, one can’t say that our government doesn’t have a since of humor.

Posted: 16 September 2011 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

Tony, were you talking about CFI mission statement as the organization, or that of the forum? Some of the answers seemed to be about the forum.

Regarding the CFI mission statement that I believe you are discussing:
This thread being more appropriate than an answer that I gave on another thread, I would like for the wording to be simple and direct.
For example, what is the meaning of these terms?
1),  ...mythological narratives of the past, ............does this mean creation?
2).... and the dogmas of the present…...... does this mean religion?

Then down towards the end of the statement it speaks to “The secular society we are building is a community of reason and compassion in which the dignity and fundamental rights of all individuals are respected”.
Well, if many believe in some form of religion, which most are faith based, then how can CFI supplant one then say that it respects the dignity and fundamental rights of all individuals?
Hey, wait a minute….is this one of those oxymoron paradigms of intelligence ethics?

This is confusing to me, and doesn’t make any sense considering CFI is suppose to be an institution devoted to promoting science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

But then again, in promoting “Humanistic values” says it all in one tiny nutshell…...good for a bumper sticker too.

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
ohio204 - 16 September 2011 04:22 PM

Tony, were you talking about CFI mission statement as the organization, or that of the forum? Some of the answers seemed to be about the forum.

This thread being more appropriate than an answer that I gave on another thread, I would like for the wording to be simple and direct.
1),  ...mythological narratives of the past, ............does this mean creation?

Then down towards the end of the statement it speaks to “The secular society we are building is a community of reason and compassion in which the dignity and fundamental rights of all individuals are respected”.
Well, if many believe in some form of religion, which most are faith based, then how can CFI supplant one then say that it respects the dignity and fundamental rights of all individuals?
Hey, wait a minute….is this one of those oxymoron paradigms of intelligence ethics?

This is confusing to me, and doesn’t make any sense considering CFI is suppose to be an institution devoted to promoting science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

But then again, in promoting “Humanistic values” says it all in one tiny nutshell…...good for a bumper sticker too.

Recognizing the dignity and fundamental rights of the individual is classically consistent with criticizing falsehoods. And as an institution devoted to promoting science, reason and freedom of inquiry, one of CFI’s most important goals is to promote the ideas that stem from those practices, and criticize ideas that conflict with them.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-09-02
dougsmith - 16 September 2011 07:13 PM
ohio204 - 16 September 2011 04:22 PM

Recognizing the dignity and fundamental rights of the individual is classically consistent with criticizing falsehoods. And as an institution devoted to promoting science, reason and freedom of inquiry, one of CFI’s most important goals is to promote the ideas that stem from those practices, and criticize ideas that conflict with them.

ok
So what does the terms (mythological narratives of the past) and (dogmas of the present) mean? Is it what I thought?

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
ohio204 - 16 September 2011 07:26 PM

ok
So what does the terms (mythological narratives of the past) and (dogmas of the present) mean? Is it what I thought?

Mythological narratives of the past include those such as the Biblical narrative and other, similar narratives.

Dogmas of the present include such things as bigotry against gays, the notion that one is only ethical insofar as one believes in God, etc.

These phrases are intentionally vague.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

thank you
I suppose Vague is Vogue, but I do not understand why. I would have thought that clear, concise and simple to be the standard of a mission statement.

2 of 2