1 of 7
Finally, a place to discuss the world logically!
Posted: 10 January 2011 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Hello,

my name is Kaleigh, moved to Toronto from Vancouver 2 years ago - have met some of the most amazing, wonderful people - and have decided to call Toronto my home for the next few years, maybe longer!

I recently read the article in EYEWEEKLY “The war on God” and was compelled to do some research.

Im happy to have finally found a place to have real discussions with like minded people which sometimes have had people advise me to be more compassionate or sensitive to other peoples views or beliefs…........ I am expected to respectfully listen to other people express their views about god or their faith…............yet am not respected when I express my views or beliefs.

I base my beliefs on the most logical possibility.

I think Religion is detrimental to growth as an individual and as a society. There is a big difference between saying “I know” and “I believe” yet so many people claim to “just know” that god exists - without any knowledge or proof.

Im not out to try to stir up controversy or convert anyone, but everyday I read the news to see so many stories about people killing and being killed for what they believe (or deny) It’s ridiculous.

I dont know if there is an afterlife - I know that right now I have my life, so I am going to choose to make the most of my time here, and have as many experiences as I can, because there is no way of knowing what happens after I will die. Carpe Diem!

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 10 January 2011 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome to CFI missmac. From this first post I have a feeling you’ll fit in well here.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 11 January 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Excellent first post, Missmac.  I’m looking forward to your participation.  As Darron said, you’ll fit in well, and find many who share your views here.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 January 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Missmac.

Looking forward to your posts.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, I’ll add my welcome to the others’, missmac. Please feel free to join our discussions, or start your own thread if you like.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
missmac - 10 January 2011 08:23 PM

I am expected to respectfully listen to other people express their views about god or their faith…............yet am not respected when I express my views or beliefs.

Excellent introductory post.  The other day I saw white lights arranged in the form of a cross on a place of business.  The people know that doing this can only help their business if it has any effect at all.  Devout Christians will see this and say “I like them, they are really committed Christians.”  People who are not religious will just ignore it and not give it a second thought.  No harm done.  The only people who might actually have a problem with it are atheists or people who really hate Christianity.  They don’t care about them.  If I had my own business in town, I doubt that I would make an atheist A out of lights for fear that it would hurt my business.  I can’t express my beliefs as openly as they can.
I do have to admit, though, that they have restrictions on what they can talk about, too.  Even though religion is pretty strong where I live, if someone says the name “Jesus” in a conversation it usually sends up a red flag, “Uh oh, we’ve got a religious fanatic here.  Next thing this person is going to do is try to convert me.”  Mentioning Jesus in conversation usually doesn’t go over well unless you are really careful and know your audience is sympathetic.

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve noticed over the years that some companies have symbols of christianity in their ads, and I make it a point to choose a different company when I want a cleaner, a plumber, a painter, etc.  I realize that the ones I choose may also be christian, but I get annoyed when people advertise their beiefs.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

I do the same thing Occam. Partially because it annoys me and partially because of the hypocrisy involved. Jesus advised people to pray in private, not in public. Advertising their Christianity goes against Jesus’ advice in their own Bible.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 11 January 2011 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 11 January 2011 06:12 PM

I’ve noticed over the years that some companies have symbols of christianity in their ads, and I make it a point to choose a different company when I want a cleaner, a plumber, a painter, etc.  I realize that the ones I choose may also be christian, but I get annoyed when people advertise their beiefs.

Occam

I once listened to a minister who advocated the hiring of only those of his faith. Moreover he urged that when in a non christian home, the plumber, painter was expected to prostletize. The hubris of that nearly made me yell out, but I was in company and decided against.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 January 2011 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome MissMac.  Jump right in and join us.  smile  I think you will enjoy it here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 January 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-13

I dont know if there is an afterlife - I know that right now I have my life, so I am going to choose to make the most of my time here, and have as many experiences as I can, because there is no way of knowing what happens after I will die. Carpe Diem!

I have to agree with her on this one. Like her, I am living my life one day at time. I do think about the future, but I think that the present is more important.

Sometimes, religion dictates how we should live our lives, and I think it shouldn’t be like that. It can be a guide, but not in a way of dictating us on what to do and what to think.

Posted: 13 January 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-13

Greetings to all! My name is Andrew and I live in Las Vegas, NV.

In the plain, I’m here because I’m lost and totally confused about what I have been (brain washed) into believing.

I’m gonna sit back for a few and get the feel of what’s expected on these forums.

I’m open to any and all help in an effort to get me to a full understanding of what’s going on in my head.

Help!!

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted: 13 January 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
drewster99c - 13 January 2011 04:01 PM

Greetings to all! My name is Andrew and I live in Las Vegas, NV.

In the plain, I’m here because I’m lost and totally confused about what I have been (brain washed) into believing.

I’m gonna sit back for a few and get the feel of what’s expected on these forums.

I’m open to any and all help in an effort to get me to a full understanding of what’s going on in my head.

Help!!

Thanks,

Andrew

Welcome Andrew (drewster).

From my experience, CFI encourages questions, ideas, and discussion (or debate) on almost any topic, as long as they are presented in a reasoned and logical manner, which are open to analysis .

[ Edited: 13 January 2011 05:35 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 January 2011 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Andrew.  I think you have quite a bit in common with what a number of our members have gone through when they were younger.  Read what the posters have said, and when you feel comfortable, give your opinions or ask questions.  We’re all available to give you our ideas and, I hope, helpful suggestions.

Re Missmac:  She had a great first post.  I hope she returns and gets involved in the discussions.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Well cool, missmac, angelinereimer0801, drewster99c
Welcome one and all, looking forward to hearing from you folks, please do join right in.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 13 January 2011 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
angelinereimer0801 - 13 January 2011 10:08 AM

I have to agree with her on this one. Like her, I am living my life one day at time. I do think about the future, but I think that the present is more important.

Sometimes, religion dictates how we should live our lives, and I think it shouldn’t be like that. It can be a guide, but not in a way of dictating us on what to do and what to think.

Welcome Angeline,

I agree. Scriptures do contain valid moral guides. Unfortunately, the good is often overwhelmed and obscured by the mythical falsehoods.

Signature 

W4U

1 of 7

‹‹ Hello from Lille      tchb (Mike) ››