6 of 7
Finally, a place to discuss the world logically!
Posted: 27 March 2011 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

I believe the big bang theory to provide the most logical explanation for the formation of our solar system…......... HOWEVER - the origin of that initial matter is impossible to explain.

Does anyone think we will ever discover how the first form of matter came in to existence?

Oh man, even trying to come up with explanations trips me out.

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 27 March 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

What do you think of a ‘recycled’ universe? If there was a previous universe which expanded and then contracted, why can’t it expand all over again? Sooner or later it would run out of energy, unless there is a way around it that we have yet to discover.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 March 2011 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-03-26
missmac - 27 March 2011 12:40 AM

I believe the big bang theory to provide the most logical explanation for the formation of our solar system…......... HOWEVER - the origin of that initial matter is impossible to explain.

Does anyone think we will ever discover how the first form of matter came in to existence?

Oh man, even trying to come up with explanations trips me out.

”..Does anyone think we will ever discover how the first form of matter came in to existence?..”

This ‘discovery’ is an integral part of the global truth, absolute, which, having to include the infinite universe, is itself infinite. By what one should imagine that no human being, because of its obvious limitations, can never fully understand this infinite truth. The human mind can tend to this truth only in asymptotic way…

However, the fact that truth is infinite, does not mean that the man should stop searching for it, because this is the only way to get closer to the transcendent (if it really were to exist), since he can not be that absolute truth, and so endless ..

Greetings

Littlejohn

[ Edited: 27 March 2011 01:57 AM by Littlejohn ]

Posted: 27 March 2011 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

What do you think of a ‘recycled’ universe? If there was a previous universe which expanded and then contracted, why can’t it expand all over again?

My understanding of the current view among physicists on this is that the expansion of the observable universe is actually accelerating. If it all ends up contracting again, one has to wonder when gravity is going to overcome whatever is causing the expansion to accelerate and bring it all together again.

I also can’t help but wonder is universes keep coming into existance in infinate places and times.

You can get a headache contemplating that one. raspberry

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 27 March 2011 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 27 March 2011 03:45 AM

What do you think of a ‘recycled’ universe? If there was a previous universe which expanded and then contracted, why can’t it expand all over again?

My understanding of the current view among physicists on this is that the expansion of the observable universe is actually accelerating. If it all ends up contracting again, one has to wonder when gravity is going to overcome whatever is causing the expansion to accelerate and bring it all together again.

I also can’t help but wonder is universes keep coming into existance in infinate places and times.

You can get a headache contemplating that one. raspberry

Oh, so that old theory that some day in the far far far far far future, it will reverse and begin contracting has been thrown out the door?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Right, the heat death of the universe as all the stars come together has been replaced by the cold death as all the stars keep getting farther apart and their energy is being drained into this expanded space.

Oh, I’ve come up with an alternative story about how the universe is formed.  As sentient beings evolve and become brighter and brighter, and hook their brains together and with their world-wide computers. they’ll eventually figure out how to access multiple dimensions and how to trigger the formation of a double universe, one positive and one negative.  Since they recognize that they and their whole universe and they are about to be extinguished, for the fun of it they set off a big bang in two adjacent three dimensional universes such that one is made up of postives (protons and electrons) while the other is made up of negatives (negatrons and positrons). These two new universes progress just as we know ours has.  As they develop, newly sentient beings guess that a god caused the big bang when it was really just some extremely advanced guys messing around before their universe died.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

Occam, you’re a better science fiction writer than L. Ron Hubbard.  Don’t know if that’s a compliment or not, but it’s true.  grin

Posted: 27 March 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

It feels like every answer produces more questions - and the more you learn - the quicker you see how much there is that you dont know.

Outer space actually terrifies me - the laws of science are different out there, gravity, pressure, even time.

I think it would be dangerous if we discovered how and why the universe works…........ much like how we can’t predict when we will die, we know we will age and it will happen eventually, but without knowing the exact time - the removal of anticipation makes us able to continue on with our lives. What’s the worst part about a flu shot? The waiting…........and being able to anticipate the result. Ignorance is bliss!

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 27 March 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, Missmac, the most fun it life is having questions that you have to work on for the answer, and even those that you can’t answer just mean you shrug your shoulders and say, “eh, more of the randomness that defines all of our lives.”

Outer space laws aren’t any different from here; it’s just the conditions that are different, e.g., not having a nice big world to furnish gravity and a 21% oxygen atmosphere.  Even time isn’t any different, but it changes (just as it would here) if one goes at velocities greater than about 99% the speed of light.

Figure that we knew essentially nothing about how the universe, including our world, worked a few thousand years ago.  We’ve learned a great deal (agreed, not everything), and look at how much better our lives are now, including flu shots rather than dying of the flu.

I think most kids of parents who recently died wish their parents knew when it was going to happen so they would not have put off doing their will, throwing out all their old trash, etc., that the kids are now stuck with.

I’ve always wanted to have all the information, even if it was bad, so I could make the best decisions for myself.

Ignorance may be bliss but only until you get smacked on the side of the head by something you could have known was coming.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 March 2011 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2008-02-25

So far it seems that the more humanity has learned (that is actually true, not just stuff that’s learned but has no basis in reality) the better the standard of living has become.  Maybe some day that will change and the more humanity learns the more dangerous their lives will become such as when humanity learned how to split the atom.  However, humans and all animals have had the ability to destroy themselves for a long time.  All an animal would have to do is to jump off a cliff if it really wanted to destroy itself.  But animals and people are still here.  Whatever we learn and whatever technology we develop, motivation still controls how we use it.  Motivation that prefers to destroy eventually destroys itself or each other.  Motivation that prefers to build tries to survive, learn, grow, and cooperate.  Positive motivation is better at surviving.  Negative motivation then only exists as sub servant to positive motivation.

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Total Posts:  6167
Joined  2009-02-26
missmac - 27 March 2011 01:21 PM

It feels like every answer produces more questions - and the more you learn - the quicker you see how much there is that you dont know.

Outer space actually terrifies me - the laws of science are different out there, gravity, pressure, even time.

I think it would be dangerous if we discovered how and why the universe works…........ much like how we can’t predict when we will die, we know we will age and it will happen eventually, but without knowing the exact time - the removal of anticipation makes us able to continue on with our lives. What’s the worst part about a flu shot? The waiting…........and being able to anticipate the result. Ignorance is bliss!

I believe the doughnut shaped universe is one of the most palatable…. cheese

As we travel along the surface the universe either expands toward the equator and after we pass the equator, begins to contract toward the Black hole (swallowing the entire universe), only to be spewed out by the White hole (Big Bang) on the other side and the journey of a new universe starts afresh. Reminiscent even of a gravitational/electro/magnetic field.

Perhaps there might even be a baker’s dozen of those universal doughnuts…. LOL

[ Edited: 27 March 2011 11:12 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 March 2011 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Oh, so that old theory that some day in the far far far far far future, it will reverse and begin contracting has been thrown out the door?

So it would seem. Stand by for further developments!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 27 March 2011 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Actually, I believe it is an elegant concept.

It would account for multiple universes, each infinite in surface, but not in size. There is current belief that Black holes may well be conduits into alternate universes, which would have a similar chaotic start, but evolve with different results (and could explain what happens at the “bottom” singularity of a black hole). It also meets the requirements of Universal laws and opposite poles (potential).
I explains the Big Bang, the apparent expansion, and (necessary) contraction of the universe. I mimics an electro/magnetic force field, and uses gravity as the causal force.

Perhaps this is why doughnuts are more popular than god, we just know truth when we see (and taste) it…. cheese

[ Edited: 27 March 2011 11:30 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 March 2011 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2008-02-25

Seems like people who say that the universe keeps repeating itself by exploding and contracting and then exploding again are trying to deny infinity.  They don’t like the linear idea that the universe started one way from the infinite past and will forever head in a different direction toward the infinite future.  The idea that the universe can continue to change for eternity without repeating itself sounds improbable.  However, even if the universe keeps repeating a cycle, the cycle has been going on for infinity.  Infinity still exists in this theory.  Why not just skip a step and say that the universe or whatever existed before the universe started an infinite time ago and is headed toward an infinite time in the future?

Posted: 28 March 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
brightfut - 28 March 2011 08:12 AM

Seems like people who say that the universe keeps repeating itself by exploding and contracting and then exploding again are trying to deny infinity.  They don’t like the linear idea that the universe started one way from the infinite past and will forever head in a different direction toward the infinite future.  The idea that the universe can continue to change for eternity without repeating itself sounds improbable.  However, even if the universe keeps repeating a cycle, the cycle has been going on for infinity.  Infinity still exists in this theory.  Why not just skip a step and say that the universe or whatever existed before the universe started an infinite time ago and is headed toward an infinite time in the future?

But that would not solve the riddle. It is akin to saying God created everything, end of story.

Signature 

W4U

6 of 7

‹‹ Hello from Lille      tchb (Mike) ››